Autogen loading in patches...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
AnkH

Autogen loading in patches...

Post by AnkH »

Sorry to say, but this issue persists in v4.3. Can finally one of the developers shed some light on it? How does it come that the highest possible autogen draw distance setting to avoid this is "medium"? While I can certainly get along with this setting for my IFR flights, for longer VFR flights slow and low it is just not enough... It would be really nice, if this could be solved in a future release.
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
jgoggi

Re: Autogen loading in patches...

Post by jgoggi »

The important visual issues, such as autogen loading, shadows and lights appearing and disappearing, sun reflection over water at night, etc., reported since v3, are still there, I don't know if because it's hard to fix them or because LM thinks that they are not important (while in fact they ARE...)
pmb

Post by pmb »

Unfortunately I have to agree. I (and others) reported autogen loading in patches using two video clips months ago (version 4.2 or even earlier) in another thread. That applies to all autogen distance settings above "medium".

After updating from 4.2 to 4.3 (client + contents), the first check ride was from KSFO to the South into KSJC (that was the region of the original video clip.) Unfortunately, autogen still loads in patches. Plus, the buildings at Moffett Field come up black and only later get textured.

I promise to pay a premium if these two nasty issues will be solved in the next version.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

I think.... Someone said somewhere that scenery tends to load in "quicker" by the more cores your CPU has. Possibly Rob Ainscough who I think was testing an 18 core i9 a while back.

1. Dunno how true that is.
2. Dunno if the scenery stays for longer without being unloaded.
3. Won't help unless its true and you change your PC.

Either way I'm sure LM MUST BE looking at multi-cores and increased performance overall.

Hope so cos that's what I'm in the process of doing.
pmb

Post by pmb »

I don't have 18 cores, but 8 with HT on, no AM used. In "heavy" areas core usage is not that bad, core 0 close to 100 % of course, the others 70-80% or so.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
zap737

Post by zap737 »

Extremely disappointed with LM for not addressing this issue which I and others have been reporting for ages.

This is a massive immersion killer for all users and should be a top priority for LM to fix, but they seem to ignore it always.

I expect Rob McCarthy to now lock this thread and post a motherhood statement about how...

We are still actively investigating various performance improvements to this system and will update you when we have more information. ...

But I expect will never really address this vexatious issue which has caused much frustration in the P3D community.

So to Rob McCarthy is issue this challenge:

Prove me wrong
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
brosss

Post by brosss »

Hi, i had the same problem, autogen loaded very very late. I was using Nvidia Inspector to lock frames by 30. By now i'm not using NVI anymore and that problem disappear, i'm using internal frame locker and i'm really impressed how my ground looks like. Maybe you'll use this solution and i hope it helps. Regards.
zap737

Post by zap737 »

brosss wrote: Hi, i had the same problem, autogen loaded very very late. I was using Nvidia Inspector to lock frames by 30. By now i'm not using NVI anymore and that problem disappear, i'm using internal frame locker and i'm really impressed how my ground looks like. Maybe you'll use this solution and i hope it helps. Regards.

No, You have the wrong problem. We are not talking about late loading of autogen.

The problem here is the autogen loads in extremely noticeable patches in the distannce with the "Autogen Draw Distance" slider greater than medium.

LM have not fixed this problem since at least P3D V4.1 and it is definitely not fixed in 4.3

So to Rob McCarthy I say: Please address this issue with your considerable resources and resolve it. It will give your users a much better experience.

If you can draw the autogen at higher "Autogen Draw Distance" settings than "Medium" in the same smooth way it draws autogen at "Medium", then you will have solved the problem.
Last edited by zap737 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi,

This is exactly why I never deleted FSX-SE, I use FSX for daytime and P3D V4.3 for night time as all the lights render correctly in Anaglyph 3D. I don't see the patches at night but definitely during the day, so annoying. I guess if it was fixable, then it would have been fixed, perhaps it can't be. I hope that is not the case though.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
KInd Regards

Bernie.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

On my normal flights (autogen draw distance = high) I am not seeing a problem.

I am normally IFR flights in the VC cockpit scanning gauges and peeking outside for aircraft conflicts, changing weather patterns and major landmarks / obstacles [departures/arrivals] . I do not spend much time outside the cockpit except during testing.

Just wondering if you see the problem on this video by Rob (LM):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... qSLCP92NoY
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
zap737

Post by zap737 »

Here is proof with P3D V 4.3 heading northeast from LAX

https://youtu.be/U4DDgaGmpLs

Watch the video and I show with the mouse where the autogen loads in patches. Undeniable.

Autogen Draw Distance High.
pmb

Post by pmb »

Exactly.

Here is a video clip I made in July 2017, i.e. a year ago!, which clearly indicates the problem:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&start=30

(scroll down to contribution #6)

There may be users who don't experience this issue, perhaps because of flying under different situations (it's mainly obvious in extended flats) or using different settings. However, the number of users having reported this so far should warrant a careful investigation and solution.

Kind regards, Michael
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

zap737 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am No, You have the wrong problem. We are not talking about late loading of autogen.
The 2 problems come together:
1- When you descend after some time in cruise, the autogen loads **very** late if draw distance is higher than Medium (so you find a desert below you during your approach).
2- When the autogen loads it comes up in patches and not smoothly.
zap737

Post by zap737 »

The 2 problems come together:
1- When you descend after some time in cruise, the autogen loads **very** late if draw distance is higher than Medium (so you find a desert below you during your approach).
2- When the autogen loads it comes up in patches and not smoothly.

I have not experienced the problem of...

"the autogen loads **very** late if draw distance is higher than Medium (so you find a desert below you during your approach)."

as I don't do long flights. But the loading in patches is undeniable.

So LM seems to have two problems to now address.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Here is a quick KLAX departure test.

https://youtu.be/aCjgx0fsXdc
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)