Good add-on ATC to use until the bug is fixed?

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
PaulD

Good add-on ATC to use until the bug is fixed?

Post by PaulD »

I'm a recent convert to P3D after years in FSX and earlier Microsoft versions, all the way back to the Sub-Logic program on an Apple 2C. I converted after the latest Windows 10 on a new computer refused to load FSX. My flying is in GA aircraft exclusively, mostly under VFR conditions. My favorite aircraft is the A2A Comanche. The first few times I flew it in P3D ATC worked perfectly, but then began to show the grayed out problem that has been discussed in another thread. The problem was intermittent for a while, but now seems to be permanent. So, I have 3 questions:

1. Is there any word on when a patch or new release will be available?

2. Does anyone know a good add-on ATC program compatible with P3D and aimed at the GA/VFR folks? I tried the demo of PF3, but it caused a crash (the sim, not the airplane)

3. Has anyone found a workaround?

Any help will be appreciated. Even flying VFR, not having contact with ATC takes quite a bit of realism from the sim.

PaulD
kevinfirth

Re: Good add-on ATC to use until the bug is fixed?

Post by kevinfirth »

I use VoxATC, not the cheapest, but I used it to virtually 100% replicate some of my VFR PPL flights. It is only as good as the data in sim though, so you need to do a little research. Don't expect any ATC addon to give you perfect ATC out of the box, they can't do it. I use fsAerodata to update my sim and then Vox has up to date real world navdata to give you instructions from :)
nealmac

Post by nealmac »

You say "until the bug is fixed". I don't know anything about this bug, as I don't use the default ATC, butI canpretty much guarantee that if you go down the route of getting an addon ATC you will never go back to the defaulkt ATC. Personally I use ProATCx and it works amazingly well with P3D versions 3 and 4.
Best Regards,

Neal McCullough.
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

Best add on for ATC is Pro ATC X. If you fly mostly GA, then PF3 is good.
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Thanks for the responses. But, for some reason I don't understand at all, now the default P3D ATC is working again. At least for now. When it was not working, the ATC window could open up, and show the appropriate selections (choose a runway, contact tower, get ATIS, etc) would be there, but grayed out, and not working. Now they are working again. There was a long thread about this problem, so I'm not the only one with it. For now I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and us the default.
catmar1944

Post by catmar1944 »

Hi I have this bug too. Sometimes works flawlessly and another no response. If P3d loaded with canned ATC working, it's fine throughout the session. Another session you can bring up the ATC window but no response to any key press which is a bit annoying because you have to reload P3d again and we all know it takes a long time especially if you have a lot of scenery.

I am using P3d V4.2 the latest version, when it went to 64bit is when I decided to purchase the simulator. As a newbie I don't know much about P3d so I had no idea it was a bug, or is it?

Regards

:Clive-Albert: Dodd - Trustee
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

I have no idea if this is real or just coincidence, but a couple of times when I loaded new scenery or a new airplane, the ATC stopped working for a while, but then, somehow, after opening P3D a few times, it "cured" itself.
Energizer23

Post by Energizer23 »

Start with Prepar3d default and then switch to saved scenario. works fine.
Raller

Post by Raller »

I also have the "ATC Bug". Some P3Dv4.2 starts the ATC works fine, some starts the ATC is greyed out. I can't figure out why and when this happens! It seems to be randomly...

Regards
Raller
Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 HF3 | Z170 Pro | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 16GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M | GEP3D | UTX | FFTF | ASP3D | ASCA | ChasePlane | Milviz Beta Tester