[RESOLVED] Frame Rate Loss Dark/Dawn/Dusk

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
ReggieC

[RESOLVED] Frame Rate Loss Dark/Dawn/Dusk

Post by ReggieC »

I'm using P3Dv4.2 and I've noticed a new problem that has emerged. I am suffering a significant frame rate loss during night time, dawn, and dusk when I first start the program, which opens to a default flight at my home airport (KLIT). The problem can be remedied if I go to spot view and do a complete walk around of the aircraft one time, then the frame rates snap to around 25-30.

Is anyone else having this problem, and/or has a solution been found?

Thanks,
Reggie

P3Dv4.2
Orbx Vector
Orbx Global
Orbx Open LC North America
Active Sky 2016 for P3Dv4
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6 Mhz
8GB Ram
GTX 1050TI
sw34669

Re: Frame Rate Loss Dark/Dawn/Dusk

Post by sw34669 »

it's due to double rendering during these periods. Worse if you have dynamic lights enabled.
the going external and panning to solve is a known issue so we hope found and fixed in the next release.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"I am suffering a significant frame rate loss during night time, dawn, and dusk when I first start the program, which opens to a default flight at my home airport (KLIT)."

I have not had this problem yet.

I just tested F22 at KLIT gate 10 with / without ActiveSky and Dynamic lighting ON and my FPS stays 19.7 (locked at 20 on my setup).

What has to be done to test for FPS drop?

How much of a FPS drop do you experience?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
ReggieC

Post by ReggieC »

Martyson,

The problem begins at startup and continues until I do the pan-around. My framerates are usually around 30 or so during daytime, but when this problem occurs, I'm only getting 10 - 11, a significant drop.

Another poster stated that this is a known problem of double rendering and will be fixed in the next update.

I'm going to turn dynamic lighting off and see what happens.

Cheers,
Reggie
funkyaz77

Post by funkyaz77 »

I hope this gets fixed as I also have this issue so much so it makes my graphics card crash. In the daytime no issue normal flights can complete any flight anytime BUT dusk/dawn or night and performance really hurts even on default aircraft with scenery. Places a heavy load on my GPU! If it is double rendering please LM fix for 4.3!

BTW this is with DL off!
Thanks

Duncan
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Everyone,

There isn't any explicit double rendering occurring at these times. Are you only seeing this issue with specific aircraft or at specific locations? There could however be errors in certain models or other content which could cause some parts or elements to draw twice at these times. If you are noticing this with any add-on content I recommend contacting the developers to see if they can reproduce the issue as well.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
funkyaz77

Post by funkyaz77 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 pm Hi Everyone,

There isn't any explicit double rendering occurring at these times. Are you only seeing this issue with specific aircraft or at specific locations? There could however be errors in certain models or other content which could cause some parts or elements to draw twice at these times. If you are noticing this with any add-on content I recommend contacting the developers to see if they can reproduce the issue as well.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Hi Rob,

Just tried in a default aircraft and a default airfield EGJJ and my sim crashed at night within 10 minutes! with DXGI ERROR I can complete daytime flights with PMDG aircraft and the FSL A320 no issue even at EGLL with ORBX scenery no issue!. I think to be fair it may be my GPU HOWEVER there is something wrong with the performance in DUSK/DAWN and NIGHT environments that puts extra strain on systems and performance. I have 4.2 and as I said everything was default no addons!

Kind regards

Duncan
funkyaz77

Post by funkyaz77 »

Hi Rob,

Something is up with DUSK,DAWN and NIGHTIME performance. Daytime in default aircraft and scenery no issues I can even do addon aircraft like FSLA320 and PMDG 777,747 with harsh scenery addons like Aerosoft EGLL and ORBX EU England. Frames are great DL is always ON never turn it off and obviously have all my lights on even in the daytime.

For some reason Frames and performance take a hit at dusk, dawn and nighttime! Please can you try to optimise.

Just FYI I am currently at the time of writing using FSLA320 flying from AS EGLL to AS LEPA USing all ORBX scenery global, euro LC and EU England as well as ASP4 and UTLive traffic and no issues at all in fact I am near T/D and have no question it will not complete.

Last night when I used default aircraft and scenery at nighttime instant crash within 10 minutes!

Using 4.2, All drivers up to date, NO overclocking at all of GPU or CPU and even last weekend reinstalled Windows 10 and P3D V4.2! Same results whatever I do!

Kind regards

Duncan
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Just tried in a default aircraft and a default airfield EGJJ and my sim crashed at night within 10 minutes! with DXGI ERROR "

Which Video card?
PC or laptop?

Which display devices are you using e.g. monitor, multiple monitors, iPads, Tablets etc ?
Best Regards,
funkyaz77

Post by funkyaz77 »

Hi Martyson,

I am using a desktop and have been for 7 years, I only use P3D from V2 onwards on the same PC with the same specs. It has only been since 4.2 that I have experienced this issue. So when the big thread all about DXGI on these very forums came to life I couldn't understand what the fuss was about because only on V4.2 am I seeing this! And only in the last 6 weeks can I reproduce it everytime with default.

My main thrust Martyson is that there is something in the dusk, dawn and nighttime rendering that is pushing Graphics Cards much harder and in my case is tripping mine up. My temps and performance pardon the expression are like night and day in V4.2.

BTW I completed my AS EGLL to AS LEPA flight as I knew I would in the daytime. GPU temp just reached 51 degrees and stayed there throughout. At other times i.e dusk, dawn and nighttime within 6 minutes it is already at 60 degrees and climbs.

My GPU just so you know is a GTX 650ti Boost factory card I have never tweaked it at all. Now I know it might be my card because at night the graphics starts flickering badly and often really glitchy then comes up with the error so this is not my dispute, my dispute is that I get a lot lower frames than in the daytime and its pushes my card to despair! Performance must be a factor here, which for most people, me included up until V4.2 just had less performance at dusk/dawn and night flying. My frames right up until V4.2 were always significantly lower at night than daytime flying so what is going on can LM optimise Dusk, Dawn and Nighttime flying please!! So when I get a new card it doesn't get killed trying to fly at night! Even if I had a 1080Ti I would notice a drop in frames at Night compared to Daytime, please please optimise.

Martyson - Just so I am clear I am assuming my card is on the way out right (looks like it but I am not an expert) glitchy and flickering etc.. then a DXGI crash, its not my power supply or something stupid.

Kind regards

Duncan
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I also had asked:
Which display devices are you using e.g. monitor, multiple monitors, iPads, Tablets etc ?

"I am using a desktop and have been for 7 years"

What are you full PC specs?
Best Regards,
funkyaz77

Post by funkyaz77 »

Hi Martyson,

Single Monitor
i5 processor 3.4GHZ (4670)
8gb ram
SSD drive

I have low settings in P3D always have.

As I said never had an issue with my current set up until V4.2!

From my description does it sound like my GPU?! NIght Time performance is simply not as great as Daytime though no matter how you want to dice it.

Kind regards

Duncan
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"In the daytime no issue normal flights can complete any flight anytime BUT dusk/dawn or night and performance really hurts even on default aircraft with scenery. Places a heavy load on my GPU! "

How are you checking your graphics card for a heavy load at nighttime?

Have you run a stress test on the graphics card?
Best Regards,
funkyaz77

Post by funkyaz77 »

The fact that the GPU crashes should say something. Also as stated significantly less frame rates at night, dusk and dawn. Compared to daytime.

Yes tried stress test and graphics got to over 80degrees within 5 minutes
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

funkyaz77 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:40 pm The fact that the GPU crashes should say something. Also as stated significantly less frame rates at night, dusk and dawn. Compared to daytime.

Yes tried stress test and graphics got to over 80degrees within 5 minutes
I seen this on a search:
Graphics card temperatures typically range from 30c to 40c at idle and from 60c to 85c under load. Most high end video cards typically have a maximum temperature between 95c 105C, at which point the system will shut off to prevent damage. A video card is not considered to be overheating until it exceeds 90c under load.

What is your cards temps during daytime and then after switching to nighttime?

Your cards max temp is 97C
Best Regards,