v4.1: autogen still loading late and in patches

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
pmb

Re: v4.1: autogen still loading late and in patches

Post by pmb »

Add the black airport buildings (not autogen, but objects in several places). One prominent place is Moffat field when flying South from KSFO, but there are numerous more ones.

I think there are improvements in 4.2 under the hood for developers which we will benefit from later, too. Despite, I don't understand why the issues named above have not been addressed so far.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

As the issue persists, I realized something that might be interesting: normally, those autogen issues appear at least on my end only close to the destination of a flight. Not if I fire up P3Dv4.2. But today, I was testing some stuff resulting in several "new scenario" via the P3D menue and guess what? After I loaded the third scenario, I had those patch-loading autogen right at my destination airport.

Seems that something is flooded over time and even using the "new scenario" option does not resolve this. Clearly reproducible:

1. Starting at EHAM from FlyTampa, the autogen is loaded until the end of my visual view.
2. Starting at LSZH, the autogen is loaded perfectly. Then, use the "end scenario" and "new scenario" option instead of quitting P3D and start at EHAM -> autogen is not loaded to the max. distance and starts loading in patches as soon as you fly out of EHAM.

What a bummer, now I am absolutely certain that I never observed this in v4.0 (and of course not in v3.x). Please, fix this...
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
Fizzelle

Post by Fizzelle »

AnkH wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 pm As the issue persists, I realized something that might be interesting: normally, those autogen issues appear at least on my end only close to the destination of a flight. Not if I fire up P3Dv4.2. But today, I was testing some stuff resulting in several "new scenario" via the P3D menue and guess what? After I loaded the third scenario, I had those patch-loading autogen right at my destination airport.

Seems that something is flooded over time and even using the "new scenario" option does not resolve this. Clearly reproducible:

1. Starting at EHAM from FlyTampa, the autogen is loaded until the end of my visual view.
2. Starting at LSZH, the autogen is loaded perfectly. Then, use the "end scenario" and "new scenario" option instead of quitting P3D and start at EHAM -> autogen is not loaded to the max. distance and starts loading in patches as soon as you fly out of EHAM.

What a bummer, now I am absolutely certain that I never observed this in v4.0 (and of course not in v3.x). Please, fix this...
Just looking at your hardware Chris, it seems like a dream specification. I don't understand why you and I are still having this problem. It has to be with the way the program is loading textures - for example, 3DS Max doesn't use all its available RAM for texture rendering and neither, it seems, does P3D 4.2. I wonder if the developers can verify the texture loading that should be expected, or at least programmed in, and if they factored this into the mix before they released it to us.

There may be an element of caution as they probably are frightened of leaving Windows short of resources. But hell, if I'm flight-simming I want ALL the resources available and I''ll take the odd computer crash in my stride now and again.
B777ER

Post by B777ER »

AnkH wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 pm As the issue persists, I realized something that might be interesting: normally, those autogen issues appear at least on my end only close to the destination of a flight. Not if I fire up P3Dv4.2. But today, I was testing some stuff resulting in several "new scenario" via the P3D menue and guess what? After I loaded the third scenario, I had those patch-loading autogen right at my destination airport.

This is quite interesting. Would like to hear from an LM employee on this.
Wise87

Post by Wise87 »

Just upgraded to 4.2 this evening and now I have the slow loading autogen. My system has been running great until now.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello Everyone,

This is something we are still investigating. For those experiencing this issue try unchecking High-Resolution Terrain textures and/or setting the target frame rate in the Prepar3D settings to see if this improves autogen performance on your end.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Wise87

Post by Wise87 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:09 pm Hello Everyone,

This is something we are still investigating. For those experiencing this issue try unchecking High-Resolution Terrain textures and/or setting the target frame rate in the Prepar3D settings to see if this improves autogen performance on your end.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
I'm glad your still investigating. This has been a problem since 4.1 for months now. I guess investgating means you guys are no closer to a fix. I made the changes and it made no difference on my end. I'm thinking of just going back to 4.0 seeing this was the best version out to date with least amount of issues.
pmb

Post by pmb »

I can confirm Wise87: I usually have fps set to unlimited, but setting it to a fixed number does not modify autogen loading in any way. Further, I usually use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and hight resolution terrain checked. However, removing that entry and unchecking the box doesn's modify autogen loading either. Autogen is loading in extended patches in the distance. This isn't obvious everywhere, i.e. not under low visibility or within a valley etc., but in extended plains it is annoying.

I tried quite a number of different settings, lowering several sliders (and I wouldn't call my system obsolete) which doesn't help either.

The only possibility for autogen to fade in continually is lowering the autogen draw distance slider to "medium". This does help and autogen fades in nicely then, however only at a distance which is comparable to FSX.

I should add I use the latest 4.2.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
snooty83

Post by snooty83 »

Is there any news from the developers due to the Autogen problem. It bugs us and looks very bad.

Greetings Dani