XML-Method clarifications

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Kosta

XML-Method clarifications

Post by Kosta »

Hello LM,

I'm trying to resolve some misunderstandings I have (me with myself). Is there somewhere a definitive explanation how the XML-System works when it comes to loading of textures/effects/scripts (basically "Components") in relation to XML-Path-Variable and how does it prioritize them in relation to other XML-files? Basically, what takes over when.

Thanks
downscc

Re: XML-Method clarifications

Post by downscc »

I was following the question until you added "in relation to xml path."

The scenery priority is simple, lowest priority is first entry in scenery.cfg followed entrys above it. Then lowest xml entry is first xml component read followed by the next read and the highest level will be the last xml read. This assumes all scenery xml components are "auto discovery" in that they reside in the documents addon folders.

The path can be a relative path (not recommended, don't put scenery in your documents folders) or an absolute path.

Basically, there is no difference between how scenery is added with scenery.cfg and how with the xml method except that the xml method can be used to also add autogen, effects, simobjects, etc..., which you cannot do with scenery.cfg. This gives you total control over all addons.
Dan Downs
KCRP
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

I understand it as follows with respect to priority:
Scenery - since you can specify a layer when adding scenery via XML - you control the priority.

as far as components, effects, sounds, gauges

the XML files take priority over default which is not an issue UNLESS the addon file is the same name as the default.

This then gives you the ability to "overwrite" a default file without actually modifying the P3D core files.

Vic
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Thanks both, so it's like it has ever been. And apparently layers from scenery.cfg and add-on.cfg correspond, as in, their layers work "together".

But my questions pertain mainly to components.

Let's take effects as an example. If addon\scenery\file requests an effect, will it first look in the local addon\effects folder, and then "look" in other declared effects folders?
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Kosta , it is all explained in the Learning Centre section Add-on Packages..

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Kosta wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 pm Thanks both, so it's like it has ever been. And apparently layers from scenery.cfg and add-on.cfg correspond, as in, their layers work "together".

But my questions pertain mainly to components.

Let's take effects as an example. If addon\scenery\file requests an effect, will it first look in the local addon\effects folder, and then "look" in other declared effects folders?
As I understand it, it will first look in the add ons and THEN the default.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Reading the Learning Centre Information does not cause baldness, I am bald because I am old...

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Aeronauta, you assume I didn't read the Learning Center pages.
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

As I understand it, it will first look in the add ons and THEN the default.
Makes sense.