Help with long load times

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
aconstable

Help with long load times

Post by aconstable »

Can someone please advise, I purchased a very expensive computer ( listed below) I have ORBX Scenery ( Listed) surely PR3DV4 should not take 12 min and 40 secs to be able to start flying.
My Graphic settings are all set to a moderate settings and not full,however with a system as what I have,surely it would not take this long to start.
I paid over £4000. for my PC,so please dont waste your money as I apparently have!

ORBX Scenery
FTX Global Base Pack
FTX Global Open LC Europe
FTX Global Trees HD
FTX Global NA Airport Pack
ORBX Libraies

EU England
EU Ireland
EU Northern Ireland
EU Scotland
EU Wales
EGFF Cardif Airport.

System
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Installed Physical 32 GB Memory 2x16 GB
Intel(R)Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3301 Mhz 10 Core(s) 20 Logical
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 2 TB Hard Drive
WD 6TB Data drive.

Prepar3D_v4_Academic_4.0.28.21686 From a cold start. Total of 12.40. 12 mins)
1.30 mins to be able to select my PMDG 777-300 and airport.

11.10 min to be able to start flying ( total =

Using PMDG 777-300 Base pack and Extention Pack
PMDG 747
Ultimate Traffic Live

aconstable
downscc

Re: Help with long load times

Post by downscc »

I have a lot of scenery too and a pretty good computer I built for $1800 and it takes P3Dv4 about 2 min to launch and open the Select Scenario screen. I don't launch to a scenario which speeds things up, but it still takes time to load that but it varies from 30 sec to 2 min. So my launch times are about a fourth of yours.

Couple things I notice about your system. First and maybe most important is you are using slow hard disc drives. Who ever built that machine for you should have included as a minimum a fast SSD for the system drive. I am using an Intel NVMe SSD in a M.2 slot. Secondly, I am not using any AI traffic because I consider it just too unrealistic. I suspect that your traffic addons are adding significantly to launch times. Try it without.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

Your pc is super fast. I bet there is some process running which is truly slowing your P3D.

Disable all the sceneries and addons and see how fast does p3d boot up.

run a clean P3Dv4 only. They have the debugging steps listed on this forum by the LM team. I will follow that first
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Something is royally bad and totally off on that system. If we are talking SSDs and/or PCIE M.2s, and for now I'll assume we are, in a default configuration with no manual change to prepar3d.cfg, you should be looking at the 1-2 minute start up.

You should check your system well, because I don't believe P3Dv4 is a cause of the problem here.

As a comparison, I am using relatively high settings with 4c 4,8Ghz and 1080TI, I am looking at about 10 minutes total load time, but this includes:
- having a whole lot of AI-aircraft to load for VATSIM (+ 2 to 3 minutes) at startup
- TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, which at least doubles, if not triples (never measured it) the original load time

Always start with base measurement and see how the sim loads clean.

And btw. that CPU, which really is awesome, is not nearly an optimal solution for P3D. Low single core clock is bad for P3D, and 10 logical cores is as good as 4. Not to mention 20 logical... however, even at 3,3Ghz, the sim should load faster.
Last edited by Kosta on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

Also, your single core speed of 3.3 Ghz may be affecting the performance. LM recommends 3.5. I am running at 4.4 Ghz and am very happy with the performance (see my sig for details). As has been posted in several threads here and at Avsim, the single core speed is what is important.

Can you overclock?
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Ok... ignore all the discussion regarding CPU speed. Your issue has nothing to do with that whatsoever.

You have an application (maybe more than one) that is intercepting every single file access being done by the sim. This is typically an antivirus or other type of protection software, but it can also be the Windows error management software (I don't remember it's name).

You need to pay attention to what is taking CPU priority when Prepar3D is loading.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation