Odd bug? Texture resolution lowers itself automatically

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
J van E

Odd bug? Texture resolution lowers itself automatically

Post by J van E »

By accident I just found out that whenever I go to the graphics option screen the Texture Resolution is lowered one step. Everytime. Until the box shows empty.

So if I set a texture resolution of 1024 and click on OK and then go back to the options it shows 512. The next time I do that it shows 258 and after that the box is empty. These settings are actually saved in the Prepar3D.cfg so it isn't just a bad read out: the setting actually changes!

Another odd thing: loading a saved graphics preset doesn't reset the texture resolution properly but it also lowers the anisotropic filtering from 16 to 8! So even when I saved the preset with a setting of 16! So that's TWO things going wrong!

As it is now I have to check the currently active Prepar3d.cfg if the proper texture resolution is being used but this obviously is odd...

It seems to me the setting is changed when I go BACK to the screen, NOT when I click on OK. Luckily. This way I can almost be sure that the settings I clicked OK for are actually being used. But whenever I have to go to the settings I have to manually correct them which of course shouldn't be necessary.

Anyone else seeing this? Any solutions?
J van E

Re: Odd bug? Texture resolution lowers itself automatically

Post by J van E »

Ok, I think I found what the problem was, well, is, at least on my PC. Things go wrong as soon as I save and use a graphic preset.

I deteled the Prepar3D.cfg and things were totally fine again. No more automatic changes. After checking all was fine I saved a graphic preset. As soon as I had done that the settings started to change again whenever I went to the options screen!!! And the ONLY way to stop the settings from changing again was to delete the Prepar3d.cfg again!

So NO MORE graphic presets for me! I am curious if this happens on other people's computers too! Somehowe the saved presets are bugged. What I did notice was that as soon as I used a preset the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD didn't read 1024 anymore but 1023 (in Prepar3d.cfg)! Probably this 1 pixel lower setting triggered P3D to select a lower setting. 512 showed up as 511. Et cetera. Without using presets TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD shows the proper 1024.

Somehow somewhere the graphic presets are bugged, it seems to me. I won't be using them anymore.
J van E

Post by J van E »

In addition: it could well be this also has to do with saving a default flight with (in my case) an A2A plane. Someone reported on Avsim that as soon as he saved a default flight with an A2A addon plane the very same problem occured.

So the advice may be: do not save a default situation with an A2A plane if you want to use graphic presets. And if you do want to save a default situation with an A2A plane, like I do, do NOT use graphics presets!
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

For more information, please refer to the thread below::
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&start=15

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer