P3D3.4 "Error creating child window"

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
BG2518

Re: P3D3.4 "Error creating child window"

Post by BG2518 »

If you are using Windows 10 and have it updated to the current version then you'll have .NET 4.7 installed (as do I and many others who have NO issues with the error creating child window).

I'm probably not understanding why you are chasing a change to P3D's referencing of .NET (or making mods to your registry references) when you are assured by others who have NO issues that it works without such tweaks? This would suggest to me that you are looking in the wrong area for the answer to why you (and others) have developed this error. If what you do works for you then that's cool but it doesn't answer why this happened, surely?

It seems to me that it has nothing to do with earlier versions on the basis that ..... (from MS) ......

".NET Framework 4.x versions are in-place updates to earlier versions means that you cannot install an earlier version listed in the table if a later version is already installed. For example, you cannot install the .NET Framework 4.6 on a Windows 10 November Update system, since the .NET Framework 4.6.1 is preinstalled on it."

Just thinking aloud .... I suppose it could be a combination of effects e.g. P3D not referencing the latest .NET (as you say) in conjunction with a particular add-on that wants or expect the latest??? BTW do you have ANY PMDG products installed (I do NOT) as I see/hear of "issues" with PMDG and P3D quite a lot.

All the best.

BG2518-Bob.
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

Bob,

In a previous post you mentioned that you are running the Windows 10 Creators Update build which is the latest GA build. The problem started happening when those of us on the Windows Insider Fast Ring started receiving the new Redstone 3 builds. In these new builds Microsoft is implementing its new One Core strategy along with other new features that you don't have. Yes, we now that running Fast Ring builds leaves us open to issues and we agreed to that when we signed up for the program but the whole point of testing these new builds is to identify potential issues. IF, and that's a big if, this is a compatibility issue between P3D and the upcoming new Windows 10 Fall Creators Update then theoretically EVERYONE will receive these errors when Microsoft pushes out the new update this fall.

My two cents,

Mike
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Mike,

S'cuse my ignorance on this .

The question would be is everyone who is participating in the forthcoming builds experiencing the same issue?

But, I guess you have this all in hand so I'll leave my feeble attempt at helping at bay and hope you all get a solution for us all.

:)

BG2518-Bob.
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

yeah I was hoping Poppet or Adam,
play with it under the Windows 10 updated core and found what the issue is by now. oh well. it's hit or miss here. sometimes it works. sometime it don't. mostly don't and is an annoying, but it doesn't prevent you from flying.
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

Mike, and Fellow Prepar3D folks.
I attend this morning Micorsoft Windows 10 insiders Bug bash and personally gave the engineer my data and replication of this issue. hopefully it will be resolved in the next few builds,. :)
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

Great! Much appreciated.

I assume you haven't seen any difference with 16199. I haven't been able to get that build installed so I haven't been able to test it yet.

Mike
dwadsworth

Post by dwadsworth »

FireRx - thanks for reporting it to MS.

I've turned on Insider Updates again since I'm a masochist, and have gotten to 16193. I'm having problems with 16199; it freezes at 32% update.

Anyway, I've has limited success in getting P3D to generate the FSUIPC window, which seems to be the first child window causing the problem, by getting the current .Net version from the following regedit key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\1033\Version

I've noticed that the .Net version is changing with each Insider Update.

I enter the .Net version number in Views.dll.config in the PD3 executable directory:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.7.02505"/>
</startup>
</configuration>

This seems to allow ProATCx, AS16, GSX and coutl to open windows during flight. Sometime FSUIPC's window works, although other features of FSUIPC seem to function OK.

Also, the latest MCE crashes with numerous errors in Windows .dlls.

Dave
Dave Wadsworth P3DV5.3
i913900 @ 5.5G, 64G DDR5 6000, 3090
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

yep,
this it the .net error I got in event viewer so al least we narrowed it down to the cause.
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-05-19T19:34:03.999894300Z" />
<EventRecordID>1577</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-AUU8JCA</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Application: Prepar3D.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0020001, exception address 74886BA2 Stack:</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Also make sure you have the latest FSUIPC version 4.966c :)
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

Lockheed Martin,

Any upcoming patch in the works for this. Alot of folks will need one here real quick when Microsoft pushes the fall update on Everyone.
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

Has anyone made any progress with this? I wish there was at least a log entry somewhere that would say what window couldn't be opened. That would at least give me a place to start looking. What's really frustrating is that sometimes it works. That "sometimes" might only be 1 in 10, but if it works at all then there must be some condition where the error can be eliminated.

Mike
jackdhee

Post by jackdhee »

In AMD Radeon Settings, select Display
Select GPU Scaling and switch GPU Scaling to On

and/or

Accessing Scaling Mode in AMD Catalyst™ Control Center
1. Right-click the Desktop and select the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center from the menu
2. Expand My Digital Flat Panels and from the menu and select Properties (Digital Flat Panel)
3. Check Enable GPU up-scaling and select the desired GPU scaling mode then click Apply.
This will do the trick

Safe flying
Jack
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

Thanks for the tip, but I'm an Nvidia guy.

Mike
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

I'm going to close the loop on this for my issue at least. I recently upgraded my Nvidia drivers to version 384.76 and since that time I have not had one occurrence of this error.

In retrospect, two things changed when I started getting this error and I totally ignored one of them. Not only did I start getting Redstone 3 Fast Ring updates for Windows 10, I also upgraded my video card from a GTX780 to a 1080. Why I would ignore such an obvious change to my system is beyond me.

Microsoft released build 16241 last week and since the general concensus here seemed to be that this was a Microsoft .Net 4.7 issue, I checked to see if this new build had addressed the issue. Unfortunately, it had not.

I happened to be checking the Nvidia site for any new drivers and found the 384.76 release which I loaded using the clean installation option. Then came the surprise. I went back to P3D to troubleshoot the "Error creating child window" some more and much to my surprise, I couldn't reproduce it. No matter what aircraft or what addons I loaded, I couldn't reproduce the issue.

So, for me at least, lesson learned. Don't overlook the obvious. I'd be curious to know if others who were experiencing this problem resolved it with the graphics driver update as well.

Mike
HGGS Hornet

Post by HGGS Hornet »

Has anyone found a fix for this because i cant use FMC's Pop ups or GSX ect
INT.ZC

Post by INT.ZC »

Same problem here, can't even RUN THE GAME. Any solutions?