Long time sim user...P3D "newbie"

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
lionwing

Long time sim user...P3D "newbie"

Post by lionwing »

I have been around Flight Simulation software for a long time. Did that many installations of FSX like many people I could do it with my eyes closed!

However...I am a complete "newbie" to P3D v4 and I am looking for a few tips and guidance on installation.

My specs are;

Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 7300HQ (2.5GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
8GB HyperX IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
1TB SAMSUNG SSD
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM

While I have installed P3Dv4 already to take a look I hope to find the time to uninstall and create a neat and efficient installation as I can.

My main areas of concern are the expected updates to the software in the future.

Do these require a full re-installation of the software and then all the "add-ons" we use to support P3D?

I notice a couple of folders in my Documents folder? Should any manually installed scenery go there? What else are they used for?

FSX was said to benefit from being installed outside of the "Program File" folder (which I did) on a separate partition if available? Are there any tips of this type for P3D?

It won't remain a vanilla installation. ORBX scenery will be installed along with the Majestic Q400 (when the update become available) and the Aerosoft Airbus.

I recognise this is a wide open question with no single answer but I hope to tap into the huge knowledge base offered by this forum to set me on a path of "glorious 64 bit simming"...
Poppet

Re: Long time sim user...P3D "newbie"

Post by Poppet »

lionwing wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm My main areas of concern are the expected updates to the software in the future.

Do these require a full re-installation of the software and then all the "add-ons" we use to support P3D?

Hello Lionwing

Prepar3D v3 & v4 is made up of 3 component Installers, Client, Content and Scenery. When you Install Prepar3D by running the Setup_Prepar3D.exe this will Install all 3 components together.

When a new update has been released most of the time only the Client is required to update Prepar3D to a more recent version. In some cases Content and Scenery are also required. This Information will be outlined in the release notes.

Completing a Client Update will mostly effect Utilities like Active Sky 2016, FSUIPC, Flight1 GTN 750\650, SODE, Chaseplane and EZdok Just to name a few.

In most cases Software Developers will be releasing Updates to there Programs\Utilities to coincide with the release of a new Client update

Check the support forums for the "Add On" in question for news and updates.

Click the link below for a guide to update Prepar3D using the update components

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=120861

---------------------------------------

lionwing wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm I notice a couple of folders in my Documents folder? Should any manually installed scenery go there? What else are they used for?

The Prepar3D v4 Add On's folder in your your Documents location is for Developers and Users to utilize the Add-On.xml file method, This will allow 3rd party software (Add On's) to be launched from any location on your computer. The advantages of this is keeping the Add On's outside the core prepar3D folder resulting in keeping the maintenance low when completing an uninstall and reinstall of Prepar3D.

You can Install your Add On's in any location you want but generally speaking users Do Not Install there Add On's into the Prepar3D v4 Add On's folder for hard drive space reasons.

Please Note: Some Add On's do require to be Installed into the core Prepar3D folder, For Example: Orbx scenery

Below is an example of the Add-On.xml file method in motion

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 73#p159473

lionwing wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm FSX was said to benefit from being installed outside of the "Program File" folder (which I did) on a separate partition if available? Are there any tips of this type for P3D?

Yes, some users do experience Issues from Installing into the default Program Files path with different Add Ons they are running, So if you intend to Install and run Add On's it is best to Install Prepar3D Outside of the default Program Files path. This same advice goes for all Add On's as well

No partition needed, Just Create and Name a folder in the drive you wish to Install to

During the Install process you will have the Option to Install Prepar3D to a different location, You can achieve this by clicking Options and Create and Name a New Folder and Install Prepar3D to the location of your choice

For Example: C\Prepar3D v4...D\Prepar3D v4...E\Prepar3D v4...

Below is a guide to Download and Install Prepar3D

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=120676

lionwing wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm It won't remain a vanilla installation. ORBX scenery will be installed along with the Majestic Q400 (when the update become available) and the Aerosoft Airbus.

Below is a link were you will find Compatible and Pending 3rd party software Add On's for Prepar3D v4

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=125503

lionwing wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm I recognise this is a wide open question with no single answer but I hope to tap into the huge knowledge base offered by this forum to set me on a path of "glorious 64 bit simming"...

Just to finish up.........

1) Insure you add your core Prepar3D folder to the Exclusions Zone of your Antivirus Software this will stop Prepar3D being detected as a False positive

2) Only Install Compatible Add On's for Prepar3D v4, Stay away from software that help you Migrate non compatible software to Install for Prepar3D v4. Check with the Add On vendor to insure compatibility before you purchase and Install

3) Install only 1 Add On at a time, Then launch Prepar3D, do a quick flight and insure everything is working Ok, If you have any problems at that stage Issues are easier to Diagnose and sort out. Do your quick flight, when you are happy that everything is working perfect, Then proceed to Install the next one.

4) Set Prepar3D to run as administrator to allow for administrator privileges

5) If you experience Issues with Prepar3D go through the General Debugging Steps / How to Post Issue Reports

6) Prepar3D v4 does not require additional tweaking with the Prepar3D.cfg file. Go fly and learn loads

Let us know how you get on
lionwing

Re: Long time sim user...P3D "newbie"

Post by lionwing »

Thank you for taking the time to reply in detail.

You advice is very helpful.

I plan to install thrird party scenery. Some commercial with self-installers while others will be a manual process.

With FSX I had a folder within the FSX where I put the majority of the manually installed scenery. I was thinking of replicating this with P3D but might use one of the external addon folders to keep things a little tidier perhaps.