v4.0 - Texture resolution choice - bug?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Mike Sierra

v4.0 - Texture resolution choice - bug?

Post by Mike Sierra »

When entering the graphic options menu, I observe the odd thing, that the setting for "Texture Resolution" is reduced for 1 step each time I enter the menu.
I choose "Ultra - 4096x4096", confirm with "ok".
I re-open the menu via "Options" - "Graphics" - and the entry reads "High - 2048x2048", confirm with "ok".
I re-open the menu again - the entry now reads "Medium - 1024x1024".
And so on.
Finally I end up with an empty selection field, having to re-set the whole thing.
Any confirmations or am I simply going nuts?
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900KF, 8x 5,0GHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-4400, 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 (SLI) @ 7680x1440, Win10prof64 on 1TB SSD, P3Dv5.3.7... on Samsung M.2 2TB, Saitek cockpit
bakayoyo

Re: v4.0 - Texture resolution choice - bug?

Post by bakayoyo »

I have this problem as well. Definitely bugged.
Mike Sierra

Re: v4.0 - Texture resolution choice - bug - solved?

Post by Mike Sierra »

Glad to read that I'm not going into psychiatrics... ;o)
Do you have the A2A Cessna installed to your P3D?
I just removed it via addon.cfg entry, as it seemed to spoil my CH yoke functions (lost 7 of the 8 coolie-hat functions, as long as the C172 is available.
And now, after having removed the C172, the texture resolution choice remains stable.
Confirmation also here?
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900KF, 8x 5,0GHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-4400, 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 (SLI) @ 7680x1440, Win10prof64 on 1TB SSD, P3Dv5.3.7... on Samsung M.2 2TB, Saitek cockpit
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

bakayoyo,

Do you have any add-ons installed?

Mike, can you confirm this is stable after removing the A2A add-on?

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Mike Sierra

Post by Mike Sierra »

Adam Breed wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:44 pm bakayoyo,

Do you have any add-ons installed?

Mike, can you confirm this is stable after removing the A2A add-on?

Regards,
Adam
Yes.
But with a stunning result:
Having the A2A C172 activated (via add-on.cfg entry 'active=true'), but starting P3D with another (!) aircraft in the startup scenario, everything is ok. As well the texture resolution settings (remains the same, no matter how often I open the options-graphics menu), as (!) the function of my coolie-hat.
As soon as I choose the C172 as the aircraft of my startup scenario, both (!) are affected: The texture resolution is reduced by 1 each time I enter the options-graphics menu, and (!) my coolie-hat has lost 7 of its 8 switches (only the upward/forward switch still pans the view up, all other directions are out of function). And this remains for the whole session of P3D, no matter which aircraft or situation I load.
Everything is fine with any (? - I only tried the Maule, Beechcraft, F16 and Mooney) other aircraft in the startup situation.
[Addendum:] No faults, when I choose the C172 as my aircraft AFTER another plane has started up P3D.
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
scubaboy

Post by scubaboy »

Same here - I do have the A2A C172 installed, not sure if it is the cause, but I have had the hat switch
on my CH Eclipse yoke stop working, even though it was defined in the button config. I deleted the
binding, re-setup the hat switch, and it worked again!

Then I noticed all my clouds were white blocks, and ground textures were very low resolution.
My texture resolution had changed to a blank, no choice made. Set it back to 4096, all textures good again.

I did have the C172 as the default scenario aircraft when this happened - now I have a simple ultralight as my
default, the problems have not returned.

Best Regards,
Steven
bakayoyo

Post by bakayoyo »

Yes, I also had the a2a 172 as default airplane, and the problem did not occur after switching to another aircraft.

The profile still jumps to Custom after setting a specific profile which is a bit annoying but at least it seems to store the settings correctly now.
pmb

Post by pmb »

Same here: I didn't keep a close eye onto it, but it's indeed roughly since I installed the A2A C172. Unfortunately, there's no good substitute for it so far.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
joshsum

Post by joshsum »

I have the same issue I thought I was going crazy. Most likely a A2a thing that was missed. Josh
joshsum

Post by joshsum »

I found the cure for the texture issue. don't use a A2A plane in your default scenario use a default airplane and then change it to a A2A plane in the interface. This is from Lewis over at A2A (you should never use any complex third party aircraft as your default flight due to issues with initialization.) Josh
njmike

Post by njmike »

I also have the A2A C172 with the same exact pan issue - it only pans up. Tried resetting assignments to no avail. I also have the resolution setting issue decrementing by one and had boxy clouds / PAPIs before noticing it.
njmike

Post by njmike »

joshsum wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:13 pm I found the cure for the texture issue. don't use a A2A plane in your default scenario use a default airplane and then change it to a A2A plane in the interface. This is from Lewis over at A2A (you should never use any complex third party aircraft as your default flight due to issues with initialization.) Josh
I had my A2A C172 as default. Just set the Mooney as default, restarted and now panning works in all directions! Thanks!
shortspecialbus

Post by shortspecialbus »

For what it's worth, it has always been the case and will always likely remain the case that using a complex 3rd party aircraft in your default scenario will lead to significant issues. That's not to say that LM doesn't have a bug here, but always keep one of the default planes as your default scenario and switch it to the plane you want before loading the flight (i.e. you should still load it in the scenario screen). I believe both A2A and PMDG documentation both state this, and things like this are the reason why.

-stefan
ctstech25

Post by ctstech25 »

shortspecialbus wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:41 pm For what it's worth, it has always been the case and will always likely remain the case that using a complex 3rd party aircraft in your default scenario will lead to significant issues. That's not to say that LM doesn't have a bug here, but always keep one of the default planes as your default scenario and switch it to the plane you want before loading the flight (i.e. you should still load it in the scenario screen). I believe both A2A and PMDG documentation both state this, and things like this are the reason why.

-stefan
I had all the same issues as has been reported in this thread... Somehow (my fault) I managed to get the A2A 172 saved as the default aircraft and all the above issues were present. However if I loaded scenery of any kind e.g. orbx regions, fsdt airports and restarted the sim all was good again. Shutting down and restarting brought me back to the same issues. My solution has been to put back the Raptor as default aircraft and go ahead and start the sim with all default settings... location, weather, time and season... once the raptor is sitting on the runway the first thing I do is step outside the aircraft and use the hatswitch (Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System) to look around and so far all is working. NOW go ahead and change whatever I want to: Load a previously saved scenario, Change to a complex aircraft PMDG 747 for example, change location, change time, turn on UTLive, open ASP4, open Aivlasoft EFB... It all seems to work for me... The take away, as I quoted from the previous reply, is to load a default scenario and then go on to change things.

Norman Henderson
ctstech25

Post by ctstech25 »

joshsum wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:47 pm I have the same issue I thought I was going crazy. Most likely a A2a thing that was missed. Josh

Also just want to say its not just A2A, the same happens with a PMDG plane. At present we only have 2 complex aircraft companies supporting P3Dv4 and the default plane startup has always been documented by both.

nwh