P3D v4 - LOD_RADIUS and Photo scenery

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
aquil8

P3D v4 - LOD_RADIUS and Photo scenery

Post by aquil8 »

Hi all,
I hoped that with the 64 bit version of P3D (v4) we could increase LOD_RADIUS parameter to view distant photo scenery textures more detailed. I tried to use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 but it works only to the default scenery. There is any upgrade planned to resolve this issue?
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3D v4 - LOD_RADIUS and Photo scenery

Post by Beau Hollis »

The terrain texture does end up higher resolution, but it is still copying from a source image that is 256x256, so the added resolution isn't very noticeable. For now, I would suggest turning terrain texture resolutions back to default if you plan on doing most flights over photo scenery areas, as this will load faster and use less memory.

It may be possible to use the SDK to compile a higher resolution image into the source bgl to support the new resolutions, but I'm not familiar enough with the tools side to be sure. We do have some ideas for how we might address it in the engine, to potentially support existing content at higher resolutions, but we haven't had a chance to look into this in detail yet, as it was reported fairly recently.
Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Beau Hollis wrote: The terrain texture does end up higher resolution, but it is still copying from a source image that is 256x256, so the added resolution isn't very noticeable. For now, I would suggest turning terrain texture resolutions back to default if you plan on doing most flights over photo scenery areas, as this will load faster and use less memory.

It may be possible to use the SDK to compile a higher resolution image into the source bgl to support the new resolutions, but I'm not familiar enough with the tools side to be sure. We do have some ideas for how we might address it in the engine, to potentially support existing content at higher resolutions, but we haven't had a chance to look into this in detail yet, as it was reported fairly recently.
Thanks
A contributory factor may be how the LOD radius setting is working against the LOD that the original photoscenery was compiled for? You can see this by using Tmfviewer in the environment part of the sdk.

I've tried the (now aged) Horizon Generation X photoscenery for the uk in P3D4. It works, but not as well as I'd expected.

This is partly because the scenery itself comes in two folders, 1.2m photo and 2.4m. Tmfviewer shows the 1.2m photoscenery to have been compiled at LOD15. The 2.3m photoscenery was compiled at LODs 4-14.

LOD radius was set to maximum in the sim. The maximum LOD radius that is allowed by P3D4 is 6.5. I tried setting it higher in the cfg but on starting the sim it reset it back to 6.5.

With both folders active in the scenery library I get photoscenery out to the horizon, but not clear and crisp, just like in previous more LOD radius restricted sims. The sim displays 1.2m scenery very close to the user aircraft, and the 2.4m scenery everywhere else. This approach was probably taken to achieve a balance between visuals and VAS use, back when we had to worry about that a lot more!?

I then tried deactivating the 2.4m scenery folder to see if the sim would use the 1.2m out to the horizon, but it doesn't. I only get that highest resolution photoscenery in a small bubble around my aircraft, the rest is default landclass textures.

I then created a custom one layer higher resolution 0.6m photoscenery compiled at LOD 4-16. This clearly worked much better and was clearer and crisper as far as I could see. I could not see any appreciable difference to it with 'high resolution ground textures' checked or unchecked. (caution: subjective opinion and my eyesight isn't the greatest!)

Legacy photoscenery may either have to be 'put up with' or reworked entirely to get a better representation within P3D4, if there are no amends that can be made within the sim by LM to assist.

What we would benefit from though please, if its possible, is to be able to display legacy photoscenery compiled to a higher LOD only to a much greater distance :)

Thanks K
aquil8

Post by aquil8 »

Beau Hollis wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:22 am ...

Thanks
Thank you very much.

Anyone knows if it is possible to use SDK to compile a higher resolution image to bgl file? For example 1024x1024 tiles instead of 256x256?
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

So this means that photoscenery now is blurry in the distance compared to the same photoscenery in v3 ?

As I am waiting for Prosim to be compatible I still use V3. Sure I want to buy v4 , but as I am using photoscenery + custom AG only I getting worried now.

Maybe someone from LM can tell how it is.
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

Hopefully some LM staff can chime in here. Having the same problem with Megascenery. Worked great in v3, but not so well in v4.
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
doudouvfr

Post by doudouvfr »

Hi,
I fly VFR over photosceneries which are the best to learn like in real.
The level of detail radius, limited to 6.5, is too short to get good images.
Same result if I change manually to 9.5 in Prepar3D.cfg.
I hope LM will do something to improve P3Dv4 and avoid blurring in short/middle distance because I feel a little bit desappointed.