Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to sound cards)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
STEVE1234

Re: Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to sound cards)

Post by STEVE1234 »

Hi ,

disabling the codec during installing worked also for me :).

Here step by step :

1) Go to http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

2) Choose the standard version

3) After downloading, start the installer.

4) Installer will warn you that a codec is installed that cause crashes. Installer ask you to disable this codec. SAY YES ! !

5) Afterwards click cancel to leave before installing anything.

For me it was FL Studio too which has installed that codec which cause crashes.
I had FL studio installed a long time ago, but i deleted it after a few weeks.

Best regards
vgireaud

Post by vgireaud »

Dando,
Here step by step :

4) Installer will warn you that a codec is installed that cause crashes. Installer ask you to disable this codec. SAY YES ! !

YOUR SOLUTION WORKS for me, congratulations !!!
deadzone

Post by deadzone »

Thank you for me also the problem is solved but on the other hand I have audio crackles and it is not very nice I think that installing Klite only solves part of the problem !
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to USB controllers/joysticks/keyboards - e.g. Razer Orbweaver)

Post by Beau Hollis »

Does the installer state what specific codecs are missing/currupt? If so please post more details so that we can attempt to reproduce the issue.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Aiden327

Re: Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to USB controllers/joysticks/keyboards - e.g. Razer Orbweaver)

Post by Aiden327 »

Beau Hollis wrote: Does the installer state what specific codecs are missing/currupt? If so please post more details so that we can attempt to reproduce the issue.

Thanks
For me it was the OOG Vorbis ACM codec installed along with FL Studio. I do require that codec active for my audio production software however. Is there any information I can provide to assist? I posted in the other sound card thread but I believe the post got buried. Thank you!

Aiden
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Aiden,

Does FL Studio no longer work with the other codec installed?

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Aiden327

Post by Aiden327 »

Adam,

With the codec disabled I am unable to export anything in OOG Vorbis (in FL Studio) . Though I suspect that is all that is impacted (unless a plugin happens to use OOG ACM). Everything else works fine. I don't work in OOG often unless I am exporting for a game engine that uses it, so its not a big deal at the moment. 99% of what we do is in 16/24bit WAV.

It appears this codec is specifically for FL Studio. A lot of things use vorbis such as Speex (mumble) Opus (teamspeak/mumble) and WebM Streaming and they seem to be functioning just fine.

When I have more free time I want to figure out how the codec was actually disabled by that installer. I normally am skeptical of "free codec packs" as most everything these days uses built in codecs and codecs packs tend to cause a mess in windows. I suspect it just removed a registry entry, which might be troublesome if I end up needing OOG anytime soon. I have no idea if my other software is affected either yet, I will let you guys know.

Edit: It appears some of the built in sample plugins might be converting WAV into OOG ACM. I can't seem to get SliceX for example to open. (Drum loop sample tool).

This seems a bit tricky from the development side and very specific. I have not run into this issue with any other program so not sure if it would be Lockheed Martin or Image-Line (or both) required to debug this issue. :/

Aiden
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Aiden and others,

In your testing was there a specific version of the OOG Vorbis ACM codec that caused the issue?

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Aiden327

Post by Aiden327 »

Yes, it is the codec that ships with FL Studio. The exact version number or type I am not sure of just yet, I have to do some digging. I have been busy with work.

However I was able to spend some time in my studio last night and this morning working on some music (my home studio doubles as a sim pit...I know weird right?) and disabling the codec DOES have a impact on FL Studio. I seemed to have run into this bug here...

https://support.image-line.com/knowledg ... php?ans=23

This is preventing me from working with more then half my sample library.

Since OOG Vorbis is open source and redistributable would you guys like me to send you the codec for testing?

Aiden
klcp

Post by klcp »

This problem should happen with any version of that codec (vorbis.acm) and may happen with a few other less common ones as well. It mostly only affects Windows 8 and newer, due to their security feature of loading modules in high address ranges. This triggers bugs in those codecs.

If you are using Visual Studio, then this may help to avoid/reduce these bugs:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn195771.aspx

With Codec Tweak Tool you can easily enable/disable this Vorbis codec from FL Studio.
http://codecguide.com/download_other.htm

If you application uses DirectShow, then you can also mitigate this problem by blocking specific filters in the graph manager. In this case "ACM wrapper" (which loads ACM codecs) and "AVI decompressor" (loads VFW codecs).

Regards,
K-Lite Team
ssdark

Post by ssdark »

dando wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:40 am Hello,

I had the same issue with audio preventing P3d V4 from starting and I was pulling my hair out to try and find a resolution. Whilst problem solving I decided to try installing a codec pack for Windows (typed a search and found a codec pack from www.codecguide.com (K-Lite) and installed the standard version. Whilst installing, the installer noticed some broken codec entries in my registry and I allowed the program to fix them. Once fully installed, I ran P3D V4 and it started up straight away...so it might be the same issue with everyone else having thew same problem...It seems that previously installed codecs from audio programs left behind by an uninstall could be causing the problem?
Just wanted to say thank you dando, this fixed the problem for me too. Seems the OOG Vorbis ACM codec was causing the problem failing to start.

Beer Owed = 1

Best, Steve
dando

Post by dando »

No beers needed, it was just good to find a quick fix to something that was frustrating quite a few people and considering how great V4 is, it was worth fixing :p
ccgould

Post by ccgould »

STEVE1234 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:05 pm Hi ,

disabling the codec during installing worked also for me :).

Here step by step :

For me it was FL Studio too which has installed that codec which cause crashes.
I had FL studio installed a long time ago, but i deleted it after a few weeks.

Best regards
Thank you so much !!!!!