Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to sound cards)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
mbird

Re: P3D V4 is not starting (possibly due to USB controllers/joysticks/keyboards or sound cards)

Post by mbird »

svencorell wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:19 pm Same here - switched from German to English without any differences - still closing down after inital splash screen with activated Soundblaster Z sound device.
After switch the language, still need to kill the "prepar3d.cfg" than starting the Prepar3D program.
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Re: Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to sound cards)

Post by Adam Breed »

mbird wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 am After switch the language, still need to kill the "prepar3d.cfg" than starting the Prepar3D program.
Hi mbird,

Are you reporting that after switching Language for non-Unicode programs to English and deleting your Prepar3D.cfg you were able to start?

----

Also, to anyone having the issue:

If you have Visual Studio 2015, could you provide us with a crash dump?

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
zepplin139

Post by zepplin139 »

I get no indication of a crash. The Prepar3d startup window pops up for around 30 seconds and then just closes. The process also closes. No indication of the crash and no option to debug.
dando

Post by dando »

Hello,

I had the same issue with audio preventing P3d V4 from starting and I was pulling my hair out to try and find a resolution. Whilst problem solving I decided to try installing a codec pack for Windows (typed a search and found a codec pack from www.codecguide.com (K-Lite) and installed the standard version. Whilst installing, the installer noticed some broken codec entries in my registry and I allowed the program to fix them. Once fully installed, I ran P3D V4 and it started up straight away...so it might be the same issue with everyone else having thew same problem...It seems that previously installed codecs from audio programs left behind by an uninstall could be causing the problem?
cubcake35

Post by cubcake35 »

dando wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:40 am Hello,

I had the same issue with audio preventing P3d V4 from starting and I was pulling my hair out to try and find a resolution. Whilst problem solving I decided to try installing a codec pack for Windows (typed a search and found a codec pack from www.codecguide.com (K-Lite) and installed the standard version. Whilst installing, the installer noticed some broken codec entries in my registry and I allowed the program to fix them. Once fully installed, I ran P3D V4 and it started up straight away...so it might be the same issue with everyone else having thew same problem...It seems that previously installed codecs from audio programs left behind by an uninstall could be causing the problem?
Downloaded k lite what now?
jonesrob

Post by jonesrob »

This worked.
I know nothing about codecs so I just jumped in and tried it. I got 'On2 VP6 VFW detected, known to cause crashes. Disable?' Which I did, and P3D started and ran multiple times without issue. Whether this is a correct fix or not I guess we have no idea, although no doubt LM will have a view.

Thank you very much for the post.

Rob.
cubcake35

Post by cubcake35 »

Work for me too thank you man I just downloaded it and the game started to work lol thank you a lot
Shouko

Re: Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to USB controllers/joysticks/keyboards - e.g. Razer Orbweaver)

Post by Shouko »

I am experiencing the same issue. I start Prepar3D v4, it loads and when I would get to the actual screen where I can select a plane and such, it closes itself. Unplugged every USB-connected device, started it but the same thing happened.

What actually worked for me was deactivating the first sound device listed in device manager. After deactivating it, I was able to get to the actual screen and fly in the simulator - without sound though.
smyalygames

Re: Prepar3D v4 is not starting (due to USB controllers/joysticks/keyboards - e.g. Razer Orbweaver)

Post by smyalygames »

Shouko wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:08 pm I am experiencing the same issue. I start Prepar3D v4, it loads and when I would get to the actual screen where I can select a plane and such, it closes itself. Unplugged every USB-connected device, started it but the same thing happened.

What actually worked for me was deactivating the first sound device listed in device manager. After deactivating it, I was able to get to the actual screen and fly in the simulator - without sound though.
I can re-enable sound but then sound in P3D won't work at all...
Adamcox

Post by Adamcox »

Thank you very much, problem solved, P3D v4 now work perfectly
Shouko

Post by Shouko »

smyalygames wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:20 pm
Shouko wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:08 pm I am experiencing the same issue. I start Prepar3D v4, it loads and when I would get to the actual screen where I can select a plane and such, it closes itself. Unplugged every USB-connected device, started it but the same thing happened.

When I do it, I simply still won't hear a thing. I have seen a possible solution on another topic.

Aiden327

Post by Aiden327 »

Hello,

I am also having the same issue with sound cards. It doesn't seem to matter which one it is. Following the lead above on it being a possible codec issue, I did some checking and skeptically tried the k-lite installer (I did NOT let it install) and it pointed me in the direction of a OOG Vorbis ACM codec used by several of my Audio Production software. It seems that might be the issue, once disabling the codec in the registry, P3D v4 works flawlessly.

I am going to try and gather some information on the Codec, is there anything in particular I can do to assist?

- Aiden
smyalygames

Post by smyalygames »

Shouko wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:16 pm
smyalygames wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:20 pm

When I do it, I simply still won't hear a thing. I have seen a possible solution on another topic.

Thank you very much, this actually fixed the problem! And I didn't even need to install K-Lite! All I needed to do was press yes for the first few messages, until the installer popped up, and then cancel the installer! Thank you so much!
Oahmed

Post by Oahmed »

You absolutely rock! Thank you so much for this, fixed my sound issue as well. Thank you again. Someone needs to buy you drinks ;)
I have FL studio (Music creation software) installed and apparently it installs a codec that crashes other programs. When I ran the above codec program, it warned me to disable this codec, I did and then exited the program (didn't install it). Prepar3d started working with sound. :) :) :)
dando

Post by dando »

Glad to have helped the community as there is nothing worse than a shiny new 64 bit P3D not working after so much anticipation. I have been flying around this afternoon in the default F35 with ORBX, FSDT and Flytampa sceneries all working and performing extremely well on my system. All we need now is for some popular 3rd party addons to become available and then we're off :D