P3Dv4 and VR?

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
CrazierChief

P3Dv4 and VR?

Post by CrazierChief »

Are you going to enhance the VR in v4 vs v3, if we can click buttons inside VR this is a must buy for me.
i really hope that you support VR rift/vive and the New headsets coming out this summer.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3Dv4 and VR?

Post by Beau Hollis »

Yes. VR in v4 is better than it's ever been in v2 or v3. In terms of functionality, the initial v4 offering will be similar to 3.4, but many bugs have been fixed and the experience has been refined, and polished. I can't comment on specific features, but we do plan to continue improving our native VR support. We hope to see more 3rd party plugins too. The SDK has been overhauled to better support advanced uses like VR.

Full 3D visualization of the mouse is possible via the v4 SDK, but is not yet implemented in our native VR plugin. For now, button clicking works as it did in v3.4. There is a cross-hair rendered in VR to show the mouse location, which allows some basic use of the mouse. You'll need to click on the main app window first to focus it, and you need to line up clicks using your left eye for the best results.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
gcbraun

Post by gcbraun »

I was counting on VC interaction using VR. The is something beta-testers said it was possible. :(
i7 9700k @ 4.8Ghz - Geforce 2080 Ti - 32GB DDR4 3200
Oculus Rift S HMD - Native VR
MikeT707

Post by MikeT707 »

I too was expecting proper VR interaction with the cockpit. Seems quite an important use case. Please tell us there are solid plans to do this. It would also be important to have HDR available in VR.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

HDR, MSAA, and SSAA work properly in both eyes now. Also, our VIVE plugin now has a mono mode, and more accurate field-of-view and eye-separation values.
Beau Hollis
gcbraun

Post by gcbraun »

Is there a way to move around or adjust the HMD in the cockpit while in VR? There is a menu link and a shorcut for repositioning the HMD, but that does not work for me. The view is either too far away from the flight deck or looking downwards.

Thanks
gcbraun

Post by gcbraun »

Nevermind, I have managed to make HMD reposition work by binding it to a Joystick key.

In any case, even with mid-level settings (no Speed-Trees and all settings medium/high), I only get aroung 22fps in VR (stereo and non-stereo).

Important to notice that I have a somewhat beefy machine (1080Ti + i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz and 32GB RAM). Wonder if there`s anything I can do. Thanks
pipeorgan

Post by pipeorgan »

gcbraun wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 5:19 pm Nevermind, I have managed to make HMD reposition work by binding it to a Joystick key.
Where can I find this HMD reposition function in the menus?
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Note: The menu items are added by the VR add-on after you switch to a VR view. There is also stereo/mono toggle.
Beau Hollis
flibberflops

Post by flibberflops »

Hi,
Please find a link below that I thinks gives a fair reflection of the current abilities of VR in P3D V4

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5112 ... d-to-know/

@ Beau. I know the LM team no doubt have many other priorites but can you give us any idea if there is any intent to tweak the VR control issues in the near future?
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

flibberflops wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:58 am Hi,
Please find a link below that I thinks gives a fair reflection of the current abilities of VR in P3D V4
You say....
Note, The below is based on my experience on a Oculus Rift. I won't bother listing my PC spec as it makes no difference

I think that is wrong, however your review is absolutely spot on.

I run at 4k and this still unbelievably holds back 64bit P3D v4 even with a 1080 NVIDIA card with or without using Oculus Rift. The competition runs fine in 4k (200 fps plus) and in the Rift (a smooth experience).

Why on earth we need to see the twin eye views on the monitor whilst using VR is beyond me AND this MUST have an impact on fps. There is no way I can get anything over 60 fps on my screen so to achieve 90 fps in Oculus whilst a 4k rendering is occurring is simply not happening.

The imagery is screwed up in VR regarding labels and the cross hairs too.

The immersion that VR can give, simply is not there by default.

Sorry to be sounding negative but I soooo wanted P3D v4 to be the experience I know it should have been.
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Feedback for VR users.

Changing the OS desktop res down to 1920x1080 helps performance because the main display is struggling to reproduce the two eye views at the same time as you fly.

The Addons - VR Headset - Toggle Stereo Mode seems to fix the aircraft "boss-eyed" labels and the cross hair cursor.

WHY LM do you start up VR in a NON-STEREO mode????

I can't see a point to this??
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

We can't comment on any new features at this time, but will do our best to provide status updates on bugs as we address them:
1) Label text mismatch between eyes. (fixed)
2) Dynamic lighting renders in left eye only. (fixed)
3) Mouse cursor alignment issues. (Planning to look into this soon)

Issues marked fixed will be included in the next release. At this time, we can't comment on when that will be. Thank you for your feedback and patience. Please keep the feedback and detailed bug reports coming. As mentioned in the linked post, the best workaround for these three issues currently is to run in mono mode with the app window maximized.

With regards to the main app window, the size does not affect the resolution of the scenes rendered for VR. The resolution of the left/right eye scenes are determined by what the HMD requests. We don't re-render the 3d scenes to the monitor. We copy final image to screen, which shouldn't have a big impact on performance as long as vsync is disabled.
Beau Hollis
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Ah thanks Beau.

Slowly getting there and now can report (not ideal) but definitely usable VR in P3Dv4 without any add-ons.

Can I ask if the default startup mode in VR is mono or stereo.

I am switching once to get best results and have been assuming I'm moving to Stereo but now this has got me thinking???

Thanks.

BG2518-Bob.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Default mode is stereo.
Beau Hollis