Possible new VAS issue in v3.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Saldo

Re: Possible new VAS issue in v3.4

Post by Saldo »

LM has added all client installers back to 3.0 to your account.
If an earlier version worked better for you you now can choose it again..
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Saldo wrote:LM has added all client installers back to 3.0 to your account.
If an earlier version worked better for you you now can choose it again..
On the P3D download page there is a note:

"Note: Legacy versions are NOT supported or recommended"
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
bcrawley57

Post by bcrawley57 »

Sadly, I have found no improvement following the latest hotfix. If anything it is worse. I struggle to complete a VFR flight with Sparse settings. Something is really wrong with my installation of 3.4. I am toying with reverting back to v 3.3, but am not sure if it would have to be client only or content as well. Quite a dilemma really at the moment. I wish 64 bit would come out, I am actually considering X Plane 11at the moment, but holding out in the hope that either LM can fix this, or they release 64 bit.

Any one already reverted back with positive results?
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

bcrawley57 wrote:Sadly, I have found no improvement following the latest hotfix. If anything it is worse. I struggle to complete a VFR flight with Sparse settings. Something is really wrong with my installation of 3.4. I am toying with reverting back to v 3.3, but am not sure if it would have to be client only or content as well. Quite a dilemma really at the moment. I wish 64 bit would come out, I am actually considering X Plane 11at the moment, but holding out in the hope that either LM can fix this, or they release 64 bit.

I reverted back top 3,3 but from my point of view e.g. for my test flight: No improvement......
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

bcrawley57 wrote:Sadly, I have found no improvement following the latest hotfix. If anything it is worse. I struggle to complete a VFR flight with Sparse settings. Something is really wrong with my installation of 3.4. I am toying with reverting back to v 3.3, but am not sure if it would have to be client only or content as well. Quite a dilemma really at the moment. I wish 64 bit would come out, I am actually considering X Plane 11at the moment, but holding out in the hope that either LM can fix this, or they release 64 bit.

What good is 64bit if you have a serious problem with the current install ("I struggle to complete a VFR flight with Sparse settings")?
The sim isn't broken (not that much), the problem usually lies somewhere within the setup, configuration, windows, little green aliens and gremlins inside your computer... or the problem is sitting in front of the screen...
I know this very often sounds very harsh, but being in IT system-administration, I know very well what that means, more often true than it is not.
(Please don't take this personally, this was merely meant in general.)
bekesdd

Post by bekesdd »

Did not see improvement in 3.4 with full install hot fix 2 as well, p3d disappeared on long haul at descent. Reverted to full 3.3.5, back to normal no crash.
Raphael_Chacon

Post by Raphael_Chacon »

I wont roll back(lazy to even try it and config everything again), but definitelly this explotion of problems is not normal.

Hope LM really pay attention to this one for future versions...
INV-2071056
dgeddesjr

Post by dgeddesjr »

I've been following this thread and wanted to add my perspective and observations.

I've been following this forum and P3D as a product for quite some time, but only just recently purchased a license and installed Prepar3D. I have been fighting VAS issues in FSX and FSX-SE edition for quite some time as well, and I was hoping that Prepar3D would not show the same issues and make more use of the hardware that I purchased. It does indeed provide a much better simulation and I am very happy with it. Sadly though I am experiencing OOM due to exhausting VAS on Prepar3D using the same add-ons listed in this thread. I'll get to those later.

What is interesting about this thread though is that many of you are reporting that you did NOT have issues prior to the latest hotfix while your installed add-ons remain the same. To me this indicates that the latest hotfix did introduce a new issue or perhaps created a new regression.

I only fly the PMDG 777 in Prepar3D and primarily out of KDFW using FSDT scenery. Most common leg is KDFW-EGLL, and I have Aerosoft Mega Airport Heathrow as well. I also have ORBX Global, Vector, and NA LC. Here is my experience and it is much the same as what is being reported here:

1. I can rarely complete a leg between either of the above airports without running out of VAS, usually on approach or after landing. It doesn't really matter which airport, they are both very high detail sceneries and I understand the impact they have on VAS.
2. If I save the flight (which I do frequently using FSUIPC auto-save) and reload it prior to TOD I can usually complete the flight without running out of VAS. This is not consistently reproducible though.
3. If I disable ORBX or either FSDT KDFW or Aerosoft EGLL and use the default scenery for the destination then I can also complete the flight. I haven't done enough testing to specifically see the effects of having some ORBX sceneries enabled and some not enabled, but it's clear I can't use both ORBX and high detail airport sceneries at the same time.
4. It's well known the impact PMDG 777 has on VAS, and PMDG even has their own recommendations on their website. I don't use any other add-on aircraft in Prepar3D (not yet at least) but a lot of you do. See below.

Looking through this thread though I see that most of us use the same add-ons and different combinations thereof. What I have also noticed though is that only those with ORBX seem to be able to reproduce this problem consistently. Some of you have high detail airport sceneries and other well known add-on aircraft but do NOT have ORBX, and it seems like most of you are NOT seeing these issues. This leads me to suspect a compatibility problem with ORBX and the latest Prepar3D bits, but this is purely anecdotal and based on what I am reading here in the forums as well as my own observations.

I would be happy to capture some real data for anyone at LM that might be investigating this issue, as I am sure a lot of the other posters on this forum would be as well.

On a side note, there have been discussions about VAS usage in general with ORBX and the problems have led some people to give up on trying to use it in any 32-bit sim. I hope it's not against forum rules to talk about other flight sim products, but if you look at the DTG Flight School product, which is 64-bit and has what many of you would recognize as the same ORBX textures already included, you would see that the 64-bit process used by that sim consumes a large amount of memory (which is expected) and runs well. This is in large part due to the limitations of 32-bit processes being removed and that code being free to utilize much more memory beyond that 3GB x86 barrier. We've been pushing the limits of the 32-bit platform for years now with these add-ons, but most of us don't understand that it's not that simple to just convert the existing Prepar3D platform to 64-bit. It would most likely be a complete re-write and be a monumental development effort that would take several years at best.

Anyway, I hope we can figure out what is causing these issues as many of you are pointing out you did not have these issues in prior versions of Prepar3D.

Cheers,

-Don
dgeddesjr

Post by dgeddesjr »

Yesterday I flew the same leg after reducing the scenery complexity settings to defaults and only modifying the following:

1. Image and texture quality: MSAA and Texture filtering set to 8x
2. Scenery settings: Mesh resolution to 10m, Bathymetry on

The only setting change made to the prepar3d.cfg was the following:

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

This was done simply on a hunch based on reports from users that can complete flights if they do NOT do any camera cycling, but cannot complete flights if they do.

I was able to successfully complete the KDFW-EGLL leg, and the highest memory usage seen was ~ 2.6GB. I will fly another flight with UseGlobalTerrainView=False and make sure to cycle the cameras during the flight (who doesn't like to look out the window every now and then right?) and post what the results were.

Since most users are reporting that they only started seeing issues once HF2 was installed I still think something changed that is causing the OOMs, but at least I am convinced now that the issue is in scenery rendering somewhere.

-Don
B777ER

Post by B777ER »

I'm on full version of the latest 3.4 with hf2. Not good for me either with VAS. Rolling the client only back to 3.3.5.
windowseat73

Post by windowseat73 »

Hi there,

I also want to relate similar experiences under simliar conditions with similar settings/scenery and addons. After a few weeks of tweaking, experimenting and throwing my hands up in the air, I reverted back to v 3.2 and had no problems whatsoever ever since. I get VAS back once I leave a heavy scenery area, and even when it's shown less than 300k available, it would bounce right back up to the 900's under most circumstances. I have a 6700 4.4ghz with a gtx 1060 and don't go crazy with my sliders...dense for the most part with about 15% AI with MyTraffic and 10% vehicles. Smooth sailing. Not one OOM since 3.2. However, I have the dreaded P3d stopped working error midflight sometimes, but I think that had more to do with an incorrect setting in the Aerosoft Airbus configurator. Anyway, I can't vouch for any other version other than 3.4 and 3.2, but 3.2 has been wonderful so far.

John
B777ER

Post by B777ER »

Rolling back the client only to version 3.3 did not help. Looks like I'm going to do a full reinstall of 3.3. Not looking forward to it. This is getting beyond ridiculous.
benibene

Post by benibene »

I also suffer from OOM ever since I upgraded to 3.4. Hopefully LM can solve this finally.
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

I would like to know if there is feedback from the developers acknowledging the VAS issues after latest hoftix.
Is there any word from their side for an upcoming hotfix 3 ?
B777ER

Post by B777ER »

For those having these VAS issues, I can't help but think it may be related to AS16/ASCA. Their SP1 came out around the same time my VAS tanked. In fact there is a 11 page thread on their forum (under the Development sub forum) of people having massive performance issues. What is interesting is the people getting OOM mid flight. That has to do with clouds for sure. Nothing else is really getting loaded at upper altitudes. My sim is getting better frames at a mega airport then up in the clouds using the aforementioned programs. And this is with dxt5 cloud textures, cloud draw distance maxed at 110nm and only 5 cloud layers. Pre SP1 was getting great performance but no longer. People over at their forum are starting to bail on the program and looking elsewhere. Me included. Going to try FSGRW with Rex TD4/soft clouds. Something inside AS16 or ASCA seriously buggered.