3.4 Multiplayer cannot connect

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application's multiplayer mode
mnorth27

3.4 Multiplayer cannot connect

Post by mnorth27 »

Scenario: Player 1 hosts MP session, and player 2 connects via direct ip. Connection goes through and the initial screen appears as normal, but once the OK button is pressed one of 2 things happens. Either the person connecting immediately crashes to desktop, or the next UI screen (showing status of players) shows and once you press the ready button, it shows the host as not ready and a few seconds later.... The host crashes. In either case the non CTD player is not affected and can either back out (Client) after host crashes, or Remain in mission (host) and back out normally. The following things have been verified:
1. Both P3D (3.4.x.x) Version and SimConnect (3.4.0.0 I believe) were the same for both client and host.
2. Multiple aircraft and airports were selected, and produced same results with the following notation: If the Client selected the same aircraft type as the Host prior to selecting multiplayer it seems to crash the host as described above. If you do not select the same aircraft, it appears to crash the client.
3. Ports were open as required (we were doing same missions in 3.3.5 without issue)
4. Host and Client were Using Windows 10
5. Host just updated "client" files during last update, while Client updated "Client","Content", and "Scenery" files
6. Verified basic connectivity using another flight sim with normal results (DCS)

I am sure it may be some sort of thing we did wrong as I see no other issues like this since 3.4 released last week. Host does utilize ORBX and AS/RES but not sure if they were activated or not.

Anything anyone can suggest?
System Specs: MSI Gaming M5 Z370 M/B, I7 8700K Processor, 32gb ram, 1080TI Video Card, Windows 10 Pro, 1Tb and 500gb Samsung SSD's, 1.5TB HDD, Oculus CV1 VR.
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: 3.4 Multiplayer cannot connect

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

Are you able to reproduce this issue with default content (airports, scenery, and aircraft)?

You mention that this issue was not present with v3.3.5 missions. Are you attempting to fly structured based scenarios or just standard scenarios?

Are there any other differences as far as add-on content since updating to v3.4.9?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
mnorth27

Post by mnorth27 »

"Are you able to reproduce this issue with default content (airports, scenery, and aircraft)?"
We tried the Default mission using the F-22 with the same results.

"You mention that this issue was not present with v3.3.5 missions. Are you attempting to fly structured based scenarios or just standard scenarios".

We had no specific missions saved. Basically just go to Eglin and fly out to create a carrier to practice traps. Acft attempted were: F-22, F-18 (VRS), T-38 (Milviz), Different parking spots, Active Runway, etc. When the client CTDs, it is instantaneously after pressing OK to go to the ready UI. When the Host CTDS, it appears to work for a few seconds before it crashes.

"Are there any other differences as far as add-on content since updating to v3.4.9?"

On my end, NO and I was the client. On the Hosts end, I do not believe so, He had just updated to 3.4 a couple of hours earlier. As I said initially, I do not know if he had any add-ons (ORBX or AS) running, but neither had issues in single player mode.

Thanks for the reply.
System Specs: MSI Gaming M5 Z370 M/B, I7 8700K Processor, 32gb ram, 1080TI Video Card, Windows 10 Pro, 1Tb and 500gb Samsung SSD's, 1.5TB HDD, Oculus CV1 VR.
Pop

Post by Pop »

In our group, CVW 8, all have updated to 3.4 with the VRS SB and TP FA18 updates as well. I checked and their programs are displaying the correct mods installed.
When bring up a MP session (me hosting) and 4 clients, all looks OK. When all are displaying
"Ready", I launch MP. All but 2 clients join, they have entered the cockpit, then P3D "kicks" them to Desk top (closes P3D).
Is there a Log which we can submit for analysis?
Any group having similar problems since 3.4. We were all joining in 3.3 no problem!!!
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

mnorth27/Pop,

Can you confirm the Prepar3D version number of all players in the Help -> About UI?

Also, what add-ons do you have installed on all of the systems?

Are you able to connect just one player to the host and have it connect?

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
mnorth27

Post by mnorth27 »

Can you confirm the Prepar3D version number of all players in the Help -> About UI?
As I said in initial post, We verified that we had same Version of both P3d and Simconnect (3.4.9.184 and 3.4.0.0 I believe)
Also, what add-ons do you have installed on all of the systems?
I have some Orbx and ASNext but neither were active to my knowledge. I am not sure about the host (I know he has some, but cannot verify they were not in use and I have not had the opportunity to talk to him since Sun Night. We both have VRS Superbug (version just updated for 3.4), Tacpack (Also updated for 3.4) and Milviz F-4E with Tacpack, (It was never selected as it has not been updated for 3.4).
Are you able to connect just one player to the host and have it connect?
In my case, there was only the host and 1 player (me)
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

mnorth27,
  1. Is this issue reproducible every time or is it intermittent?
  2. Are any of the players sharing their vehicle with another player?
  3. Do you see this issue when NOT connecting directly over IP?
  4. Do you see this issue when not waiting for all players to be ready? For example, force the host into the session first?
Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
mnorth27

Post by mnorth27 »

Clifton Crane wrote:mnorth27,
  1. Is this issue reproducible every time or is it intermittent?

It happened every time we tried Sunday Night
  2. Are any of the players sharing their vehicle with another player?

NO
  3. Do you see this issue when NOT connecting directly over IP?

Did not try this but will tonight.
  4. Do you see this issue when not waiting for all players to be ready? For example, force the host into the session first?

Again, Did not try.. From client standpoint, when we did get to the ready UI, Once I selected ready, and Host said he was going in, I never got a Ready indication by his name, and within 2-3 seconds he was CTD.
Thanks.
mnorth27

Post by mnorth27 »

Ok, an update here. We tried the two things requested. First not going direct IP. I could not do that because for some reason (which I have not discovered yet) my "Join Session" button is greyed out and no sessions show on the board above it.

Second, when we tried to have the host join, and then connect, we discovered the host CTD'd no matter if a client was there or not. When I tried to host, the same result, as soon as it started the 3d world, it CTD'd before even starting the load bar (just the blue box appeared).

Once this was realized, we both went into the windows event viewer and found that all of the crashes dealt with TacPack (VRS add-on). To further test that, I completely uninstalled the Milviz F4E TP version (has not been patched to 3.4), the VRS Superbug (has been patched to 3.4), and Tacpack (Has been patched to 3.4). I restarted P3d and opened a MP session as the host and it processed normally. The host duplicated my process and he hosted a MP session successfully as well. We then connected to each other using the default f22 and both got into the 3d world without issue.

We then reinstalled just the Tacpack, which caused the same CTD scenarios as before. We thought we had it solved, so we set up the TPM log to record level 6 and restarted P3d (no other changes were made) using the same default f-22. To our surprise, it completed normally and we both entered 3d world. We backed out and returned the slider in the tacpack log reporter to level 1 and tried again. Both were able to enter MP to 3d world together on same ramp. When the other player left for the night, I reinstalled the VRS Superbug F-18 and hosted a MP session with just me, and the program (P3D) functioned as designed, I flew around the pattern and landed. The other player followed suit this morning and was also able to host his own session using the F-18. I cannot nail down anything we did that fixed the issue except possibly something between the Tacpack and the F-4 (which had not been patched to 3.4), but obviously it has something to do with the Tacpack (we both had the current files (1.4.3.1 I believe)for the tacpack.

I do appreciate the Tech support trying to figure this out, and hopefully did not waste too much of anyones time. I will post again once we (same 2 plalyers) fly a MP mission later this week with results either way. Unfortunately, I do not think this is much help to Pops issue.
Pop

Post by Pop »

We just tested MP again, with the same results, client get an Windows error msg. Deactivated VRS ACM & TP, same results.
Deleted p3d cfg file, same results. Will attempt again Fri after uninstalling VRS SB and TP. All of our other members are connecting OK. :(
Is there a "log" we could submit?
mnorth27

Post by mnorth27 »

We managed to get online again last night (same players) and actually did a MP session with no issues. In my case it APPEARS that it could have been something in the VRS Tacpack transition to the new version of P3D that caused it. I believe POP has a very Different issue going on as he could get some to connect. Good Luck POP. I will be watching with interest both here and on the VRS forum.
mfkillen

Post by mfkillen »

Gents

No need to delete VRS or delete the P3d cfg. Please make sure the clients have the same settings in the TP config.ini as the host does. We have a dedicated server and have no connection issues period.

If you have any other questions PM here or at Virtual Carrier Wing Three.

Cheers
Wood
mnorth27

Post by mnorth27 »

VRS People think they have identified issue. It is posted on their forums, and has to do with the objects radio button in the Tacpack Multiplayer section.