Possible new VAS issue in v3.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
vmounier

Possible new VAS issue in v3.4

Post by vmounier »

Since I installed v3.4, I have been getting OOM's very early in my flights, such as at the gate in KJFK after a 30 min preflight, or after a couple of circuits around CYVR in the 777.

I have not made changes to my system or config, P3D settings are the same. This has happened with and without AS16 beta.

I can slowly exhaust VAS by simply going to an external view and then cycling through my EZDock views repeatedly. I would assume each new view would consume a minimal amount of VAS initially, but once each one has been loaded once, this would plateau, am I wrong in that assumption?

Of course the old ghost of the VAS leak comes to mind first. I certainly do not want to go back to the drawing board and lower all settings, as 3.3.5 was fine (even though still VAS-heavy at the end of a long flight).

Curious to hear what others have found.

I am on a 6700K @4.7 GHz, HT on and AF 116 (despite Rob's finding, HT off did not seem to help me with VAS).
Vincent Mounier
downscc

Re: Possible new VAS issue in v3.4

Post by downscc »

I do not have EZDock but I have cycled views extensively during my pushback from gate, takeoff and climb in the PMDG B77W from T2G VHHH. I notice my VAS is at 2.7GB at TOC, which is lower than the 3.2GB I am used to in the 777s.

I've HT off for my 6700K for weeks, well before my upgrade to 3.4 this morning. Seems to work as expected.
Dan Downs
KCRP
vmounier

Post by vmounier »

Interesting. I've also noticed that Ezdok conflicts with the cinematographer mode. I won't discard the possibility of an issue there. I guess the next thing to do is kill Ezdok, keep TrackIR and re-test. And why not try HT off again, since I'm on a new P3D version. I'll post if the results are significant either way.
Vincent Mounier
Brunotx

Post by Brunotx »

Same problem here: Low VAS in same conditions after switching from 3.3. Full fresh install.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Things got worse for me arriving at KLAX from VHHH. I've flown the PMDG 777 extensively without VAS problems but suddenly OOM errors appear in v3.4

Worse yet, I can get an OOM error by simply opening the Settings window and REDUCE scenery density setting. Each time this is done the VAS remaining drastically decreases.

For example, create a new scenario without weather: PMDG B77W at FSDT KLAX gate 103 with Orbx FTX SCA included in scenery library. Let the PMDG initialization count down and cycle through views to establish a realistic baseline, which as provided by FSUIPC is 788832 kB.

Open menu Options > Settings > Scenery and in this case I am changing the scenery complexity from Dense to Normal, which on accepting with an OK and returning to simulation the VAS remaining quickly drops to 323652 kB then after the view is rendered it slowly changes to 680756 kB remaining.

I reduced my VAS remaining by changing scenery density from Dense to Normal!!!

Playing this out... change the scenery density back to Dense and VAS remaining hits a low of 269612 kB then increases to 667580 kB.

Each change in setting reduces memory available and will cause an OOM if the amount remaining is low.

I discovered this while trying to figure out why I had an OOM after landing at KLAX when my VAS remaining on the ground was well above 600 MB..., usually a safe value but it went from okay to OOM during taxi to gate. I started playing with the sliders and discovered that P3Dv3.4 doesn't like it when you change settings, at least for scenery density. Haven't tested others.

Some will say that Orbx FTX SCA is the problem, but I have been using it since release without problem. I've had OOM issues with LAX but when P3Dv2.5 was current and before FTX SCA, none since v3.0.
Dan Downs
KCRP
hermes82

Post by hermes82 »

3.4 still seems to have an issue with AI traffic doubling up, on a flight from dublin to incirlic I made three stops for fuel at geneva, rome and athens and kept getting a go around, when I checked air traffic I had 2 or 3 replica flights attempting to land and take off at the same time so i'm sure that's eating into vas
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Dan,

I have not Updated to 3.4 yet because some of my addons e.g. VRS FA18E are not compatible yet.

"Things got worse for me arriving at KLAX from VHHH. I've flown the PMDG 777 extensively without VAS problems but suddenly OOM errors appear in v3.4"

Did you do a full update or e.g., Client only.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
downscc

Post by downscc »

Client only Vaughan.

I have the session saved from about descending through FL230 on the SADDE arrival and have been running trials looking for the right combination of settings that allow me to taxi to gate without OOM.

Still playing with it but it appears that there is something that loads while taxiing at FSDT KLAX that is too big for remaining memory. It goes from 600 MB to OOM instantly. I suspect a few things and have run a trial without OOM with FTX SCA options turned off for power lines and vertical obstructions (towers and smokestacks). Not conclusive yet but that is where I start today.

Before someone asks, this is not the documented 777 memory leak. I have not selected an ILS approach because I am hand flying the visual for 24R.
Dan Downs
KCRP
vmounier

Post by vmounier »

Dan, have you given road traffic a try? I lowered mine down to zero and did not have another OOM, however I had very limited time available to test, and so it is not conclusive at all.
Vincent Mounier
cannow

Post by cannow »

Vas seems to have got worse once again . 3.3 it got worse improved a bit after the hotfix but still bad around London. I spent two days installing and uninstalling to get memory figures to prove to LM there was a problem after the last update . This weekend took off from ksfo bound for rio de janero ifly 747 . Over dallas it oomed . First for me midflight . No ftx regions installed , have vector but only main highways enabled, autogen sparse. L.O.D high .textures 2048. I already restart every flight to finish it with a heavy . Please LM re-look at VAS avatar modes and cinema modes are all well and good but I wouild rather be able to take off and land . Vas is the perfect storm scenary add ons blame plane add on creators . All of them blame us for actually using them. In the end although a perfect stock prepar3d I am sure is fine and does not oom not many people use it that way. We all compromise and after many wasted training flights get a compromise install that does not oom then along come an update then we have to try and loose something else we probably paid more for than the flight sim itself. Prepar 3d is a flight training utility not a memory management course which seems to be more difficult than the flying. Please build in better memory release management this cant go on . I know it is not all LMs fault but please help us out there must be more that can be done .
downscc

Post by downscc »

vmounier wrote:Dan, have you given road traffic a try? I lowered mine down to zero and did not have another OOM, however I had very limited time available to test, and so it is not conclusive at all.
All my traffic, road ramp and airborne, is zero. Never have used traffic.., kinda cartoonish.

I have a B77W flight enroute KLAX-EGLL and made adjustments to FTX SCA that seemed to help; however, and this is a BIGGY, I started getting low VAS alarms at about 3 hr ET over lake Erie. I saved the flight, adjusted LOD level down to High (never had to do this before) and watched the VAS load slowly decrease to 3.9GB....

My v3.3 VAS routinely ran about 3.2-3.6 GB while enroute. This is a different experience.
Dan Downs
KCRP
ahuimanu

Post by ahuimanu »

This is not good news. I personally really can't fly heavy iron in P3D V3 any longer (well, P3D at all) due to these VAS problems.

Oh well.
Galenki

Post by Galenki »

Also having VAS issues i didn't have with previous versions here. It builds VAS overtime instead of releasing some, and making a 3hours leg without hitting the wall is hard if you do payware to payware, even with moderate settings. I just had fsuipc pinging on a Malaga (aerosoft) to Nice (justsim) flight with the aerosoft A320, with following settings: 2048 textures, LOD High, Scenery very dense, tree + building dense, and everything else like shadows, water on medium, so nothing really outside the limits. Doing the same flight with 1024 textures saves me around 100mb. Bad LM! what did you do :( it's really sad cause everything else works like a charm, the sim has never been this smooth and stable.
Galenki

Post by Galenki »

hermes82 wrote:3.4 still seems to have an issue with AI traffic doubling up, on a flight from dublin to incirlic I made three stops for fuel at geneva, rome and athens and kept getting a go around, when I checked air traffic I had 2 or 3 replica flights attempting to land and take off at the same time so i'm sure that's eating into vas
This has always happened with addons like my traffic is you are reloading the game at some point (if you change settings, or scenery for example) and i would guess once one model is loaded, multiple iteration of the same model aren't eating virtual memory.
hermes82

Post by hermes82 »

it is caused by changing settings etc as you say, the model's reloaded but it's still following seperate atc instructions ie one manages to land and the other gets sent around and doesn't dissapear off the radar and follows it's own atc instructions, unfortunately with a new version of p3d I end up having to tweak until i'm happy that all is running well so i'm in and out of the settings menu for a day or two, normally I would see two aircraft with the same flight number around heavier airspace but I was getting three and four over the last few day's which makes getting off the ground at geneva hard work, the extra time spent trying to get on or off the ground at a major airport must be eating into resources somewhere along the line