SimConnect_Text Dialog sizing in P3D 3.2 (Scaleform)

Discuss on the SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Prepar3D
adiemus

SimConnect_Text Dialog sizing in P3D 3.2 (Scaleform)

Post by adiemus »

In P3D 3.2, the SimConnect_Text dialogs behave problematically in a couple ways. (Probably related to their being ported to Scaleform)

First, they seem to default to only showing 7 items, even if the dialog contains more items. For example:
Now, the user can show all the items by resizing the window, but there is no obvious indication that any items are missing or that the window needs to be resized. Furthermore, this should really not require any user interaction since it the dialog should be properly sized to the text it was told to display. (As has been the case previously) I anticipate this causing a significant amount of user confusion, and I see no way to work around the issue ourselves.

Second, if they figure out they need to resize the window, but resize it such that a button (click area?) is touching the bottom, as in:
then the resize/drag handle at the bottom of the window is masked, and the user can't resize the window that way anymore. (Though they can recover using the bottom-corner drag/resize handles)

Third, the dialogs seem to wrap text very prematurely. Consider line 4 here:
which, even when resized to provide plenty of right-hand space, still wraps in the same spot:
(and note how the wrapped button 4 ended up cutting off button 9 again until it was resized)

The first issue (dialogs being too small to show all their text with no indication that anything is truncated) is by far the most critical.
Mike LM

Re: SimConnect_Text Dialog sizing in P3D 3.2 (Scaleform)

Post by Mike LM »

adiemus wrote:In P3D 3.2, the SimConnect_Text dialogs behave problematically in a couple ways. (Probably related to their being ported to Scaleform)

The first issue (dialogs being too small to show all their text with no indication that anything is truncated) is by far the most critical.
Thank you for letting us know! I have opened a ticket and we will investigate the issue further.

- Mike
MachTwo

Post by MachTwo »

Hi Mike,

Can you also take a look at the SimConnect_Text dialogs being drawn behind the 2D panel?
Andrew Wilson
Flight Sim Labs, Ltd.
---------------------------
www.flightsimlabs.com
DaveWG

Post by DaveWG »

The menu dailog for AICarriers displays 10 items as standard, without having to resize the window, so it must be possible.

Annoyingly, you can't select line 10 using the keyboard though, and have to use the mouse!
snooty83

Post by snooty83 »

can set it to 0 again? My keyboard does not have 10 :-(
ronh991

Post by ronh991 »

Typing 1 then 0 quickly worked for me.
Ron
snooty83

Post by snooty83 »

does not go with me unfortunately. He always takes the first 1
72VirginExpress

Post by 72VirginExpress »

Sure hope this one is addressed in next update. Do you know how much grief this caused me? 1 complete uninstall thinking I had corrupted something and several posts to VRS......
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

We found the cause of the '0' key not working and will have a fix for it in the next update.
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
adiemus

Post by adiemus »

FWIW, the release notes for P3D 3.3 mention:
  • Scaleform MenuWindow now displays a scrollbar when text overflows window size
I'm not sure if that includes the SimConnect_Text dialog (I would expect it to), but if it does, I see no behavior change since my original report from P3D 3.2.

SimConnect_Text dialogs in P3D 3.3 behave exactly as they did in P3D 3.2, drawing too small to show all available options, with no visible indication that there are more options. (See the screenshots in my initial post)