Gradual Drop if FPS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
PilotZing

Gradual Drop if FPS

Post by PilotZing »

I'm running the latest P3D V4 with minimal addons and having an issue where my FPS will drop from what is capped at 40FPS down to low double digits to single digits with no changes being made. I've done it with a variety of addons, traffic off, traffic on, usually the PMDG models but also some default models airports with the scenery library with addons off and it continues to happen. I've searched these forums and others extensively to try things, things that worked for other's haven't worked well for me so trying to find a resolution.

I've done things like PMDG 747/777 at FlightBeam KIAD. (As an example of a high FPS set up) Load up with fair weather and my FPS are maxed out, change nothing, come back an hour or 2 later, FPS is around 10. Nothing changed. I can load various same scenarios and come back and find the FPS to be at a crawl when it will initially load and performance will be amazing.

My NVIDIA controller settings are set almost entirely to allow the application to decide what to do and my in game settings are not that high.

Windows 10 64-biut
Samsung 960 EVO M.2
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2
intel i7-7700K
32GB of RAM.

I'm not the most tech savvy so please bear with me, but hoping to get the initial performance to stay the whole time!
nealmac

Re: Gradual Drop if FPS

Post by nealmac »

Is it possible that your CPU cooling system isn't kicking in? I'm not exactly tech savvy either, but it would stand to reason that as your CPU heats up, your cooling system isn't up to the task of cooling it down, so your CPU throttles itself back in order to cool down.

Just throwing it out there. I could be miles off.
Best Regards,

Neal McCullough.
PilotZing

Re: Gradual Drop if FPS

Post by PilotZing »

I don't think it's that. I'm going to continue to try and test, but it's so odd that it'll run amazing for an hour or two, solid FPS, and then come to a crawl. I haven't spent a lot of money into it, but obviously the hardware set up was meant to really run this!