[RESOLVED] P3D v5 - Installation - GTX 1080 Ti stopped working - MSI Afterburner/RTSS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Hanse

[RESOLVED] P3D v5 - Installation - GTX 1080 Ti stopped working - MSI Afterburner/RTSS

Post by Hanse »

When I first started P3D v5 I get an error message: "This device (NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti) stopped working for the following reason: UNKNOWN." The P3D v5 CTD.
Are there any suggestions what to do? I already updated the driver to 445.87 from 4/15/2020, three times uninstalled and installed P3D v5 again but without success. Antivirus was of course deactivated!

Thanks,
Rolf
bd heat

Re: P3D v5 - Installation - GTX 1080 Ti stopped working

Post by bd heat »

Having the exact same problem.
RFERNANDMEX

Post by RFERNANDMEX »

I have problems like you, but at the end I copied one by one all the files from the Download page.
The problem whith the Zip file is when unzziped the files appear corrupted.
In this way the instalation was successfull
achryss

Post by achryss »

My 108Ti is not crashing on opening (to the default F22) however it does every time when I go back to the menu screen to change to another default aircraft or change some other setting eg: Time of day.
Latest nvid dvr installed and other DX12 apps working ok.
I have run dxdiag and it reports no errors with system.
The v5 installer report successful installation and teh program is running for about 6 hours now with only this issue.
In regard to the file corruption suggestion that is not valid as I checked the MD5 hash on download and it was ok.

Contenterrors.txt tells me this-

error.1]
error=DirectX device removed. Reason : UNKNOWN

[error.2]

Some advice would be appreciated please?
Uteman
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

I believe that really the Prepar3D.cfg file was corrupt. After manually adding

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.0.0]
Mode=3840x2160x32

P3D v5 started and everything until now seems to be OK.
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

Sorry, but in my last email I was wrong. Adding the Graphic card to the Prepar3d.cfg file only sometimes solved the start problem. But as stated by another user, as soon as I p. e. want to change the default plane P3D v5 crashes.

I also checked the MD5 checksum of the downloaded zip-file and it is OK. Also downloading seperate files and newly installing client as well as content does not change the behaviour. Allways still the same problem e. g. error message that my GTX 1080 Ti stopped working because of UNKNOWN reasons.
In the ContentError.txt it states 20 times
[error.20]

So it does not seem to be an installation problem but maybe a compatibility problem with DX. By the way I do not have this problem with P3D v4.5 only with v5. I am now since two days try to get it working - but without any result. I appreciate any suggestion because it seems I am not the only user having this problem.
achryss

Post by achryss »

I have fixed my problem I believe.
I have turned off MSI Afterburner and RTSS and the problem has not reappeared in the last 3 hrs.
I can only assume Afterburner/RTSS has not caught up with v5 as yet.
I recalled that I had the same problem a couple of years back with the first install of v4. After about a month MSI updated it and v4 was fine after that.
Don't ask me the science behind it. But the black screens and error message have gone (for now?).
Uteman
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

Yes, that was the solution e.g. after deinstalling MSI Afterburner and RTSS the problem seems to be gone......
Thanks for your help......