Computer components upgrading and licensing requirements

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
deanctx

Computer components upgrading and licensing requirements

Post by deanctx »

I am making plans to upgrade my motherboard and CPU.
Will this affect my license?
Do I need to deactivate and reactivate the license in order to make this change?
Poppet

Re: Computer components upgrading and licensing requirements

Post by Poppet »

Hello deanctx

Before making any major changes to your computer (hardware swaps, operating system changes, etc.,) At the least Uninstall \ Deactivate the Client first to avoid running Into activation delays.

Please see this short video on the above process https://youtu.be/j45NtSlNSqc
elmucki

Post by elmucki »

If you are upgrading you motherboard, you will be doing a fresh install anyways... You can not take the hard drive of your old system and expect windows to fire up. It wont work. You will more likely have to do a complete fresh install of everything.
Windows 11 x64 on a 4TB SSD | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X | TRX40 AORUS Master | 128GB DDR4 3600MHz | 1250W PSU | 2x EVGA RTX 3090 | P3D v5 and MSFS2020 on a 4TB SSD | Custom Corsair Hydro Cooling
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

elmucki wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm If you are upgrading you motherboard, you will be doing a fresh install anyways... You can not take the hard drive of your old system and expect windows to fire up. It wont work. You will more likely have to do a complete fresh install of everything.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. I have upgraded many motherboards on my systems over the years and have never had to reinstall anything. Some products required reactivation, but never have I had a problem with Windows not booting after replacing a motherboard.

Mike
elmucki

Post by elmucki »

depending on what is replaced, a fresh install is usually recommended. I have never met anyone who replaces a motherboard and then wants to keep the contents of the old HDD. Usually they keep it for later to get important files, but will usually use a new install of windows on the new drive. (or format the old drive and install windows on it)
Windows 11 x64 on a 4TB SSD | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X | TRX40 AORUS Master | 128GB DDR4 3600MHz | 1250W PSU | 2x EVGA RTX 3090 | P3D v5 and MSFS2020 on a 4TB SSD | Custom Corsair Hydro Cooling