[RESOLVED] Installing Content and Orbx Scenery ?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
YoYo

[RESOLVED] Installing Content and Orbx Scenery ?

Post by YoYo »

Hi,
I saw this post of Elaine
viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=126976#p168163
The Content component will remove and update the following folders below

Install_ Content.msi - Scripts, redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture

This process will only remove and update Default Prepar3D files, It will not remove or overwrite Extra files (non default) that you have in place from 3rd party software (Add On's)

I didnt install yet 4.1 (update only) but is it possible to install Client + Content only (for the rain effect) without reinstalling whole Sim? So to have my "old" SimObject's addons/ORBX and scenery ? Any advices or tips for this?

Maybe do the backup of: Scripts, Redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, Gauges, Sound, Texture folders and after this copy and past without overwrite option? What do You think?
webmaster of www.yoyosims.pl
spec: W10, i9 9900K, RTX 3090, 32 RAM | P3Dv5 | VR only: HP Reverb G2
Poppet

Re: Installing Content tips

Post by Poppet »

Hello YoYo

Prepar3D is made up of 3 component Installers Client, Content and Scenery.

You can simply and quickly update Prepar3D v4 to a more recent version by just running the Client component. If you wish to avail of the v4.1 Virtual Cockpit rain effects you will also need the Content update.

Yes you can update the Client and Content and keep all your Add On's with some minor adjustments (depending on the Add On's you have Installed)

It is Not recommended to back up your old Content folders and then Paste them back in as that would defeat the purpose of updating the Content.

A lot of Add On's will Install additional files as apposed to modifying default files, These additional files will not be touched in the Content update process.

You mentioned Orbx Scenery in your post, Please see the link below for some hints and tips regarding Orbx and updating Prepar3D

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5216 ... nt-3724905.

Also, below is a guide with Images on the process of updating Prepar3D using the update components

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=120861
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

Ok Elaine, TY for reply,
so to be 100% sure :):

I can install Client + Content (with this ORBX trick) without loss of additional content (like other sceneries, dll.xml, addons from simobject, effects, textures, gauges ect.)?
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

Ok, installed Today Client and Content. I did this trick for ORBX Lib and it was... all what I did more than only the update of both modules. No problems with addons and sceneries. I see also rain effect in default models. Good job and TY!