4.1 - client only?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
briansommers

4.1 - client only?

Post by briansommers »

Can we just install the client for 4.1 or the whole ball of wax?
igalbe

Re: 4.1 - client only?

Post by igalbe »

the client it's enough
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

The What's New article is itemized to show which fixes are a part of which installer. If you only install the Client, you will only get the fixes listed under the Client section.

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

What does content contain? Does it contain any critical files like the p3d.cfg file and scenery library? I am scared to even try to install content at this time as i have a huge ammount of addons installed. Hate to see all my hard work get ruined by the content installer.. So far i have updated the client only, but i need to know what the content files are touching on my system if i update it and what i need to re-install over again. Thank you
Asus Rog Strix - X570 Gaming - F - Ryzen 5 - 5500 @4.3GHz - Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ NEO@3200 MHz - Corsair CM750-750W - Corsair H100x Watercooling
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Geir Haukland wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 pm What does content contain? Does it contain any critical files like the p3d.cfg file and scenery library? I am scared to even try to install content at this time as i have a huge ammount of addons installed. Hate to see all my hard work get ruined by the content installer.. So far i have updated the client only, but i need to know what the content files are touching on my system if i update it and what i need to re-install over again. Thank you

No, any generated files will not be overwritten. Prepar3D.cfg and Scenery.cfg are both generated files (located in Appdata and ProgramData respectively.)

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

Kayla Kinzel wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:47 pm
Geir Haukland wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 pm What does content contain? Does it contain any critical files like the p3d.cfg file and scenery library? I am scared to even try to install content at this time as i have a huge ammount of addons installed. Hate to see all my hard work get ruined by the content installer.. So far i have updated the client only, but i need to know what the content files are touching on my system if i update it and what i need to re-install over again. Thank you

No, any generated files will not be overwritten. Prepar3D.cfg and Scenery.cfg are both generated files (located in Appdata and ProgramData respectively.)

Regards,
Kayla
Still, i am to scared to install the content. I need to know what files are going to be either overwritten or replaced b4 i even dare to install content update. The readme states there are some files that need to be removed regarding p3d v4 files etc. thats why i wont dare to uopdate content, yet, not b4 i know what files will be replaced / overwritten. That means all my aircrafts that has new repaints will have to be re-installed again, and i have tons of new repaints on my default aircrafts, that mean i have to backup my entire aircraft folder b4 i even do the content, right?

Thank you.
Asus Rog Strix - X570 Gaming - F - Ryzen 5 - 5500 @4.3GHz - Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ NEO@3200 MHz - Corsair CM750-750W - Corsair H100x Watercooling
fl95

Post by fl95 »

Question is: Do I have to uninstall "content" and what does it remove ? What is with my 3rd-party Airplanes ? (PMDG, Carendao, A2A)
Can i just install the new "content" over the existing "content" ? (for the raindrops)
Achim
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Geir

The Content component will remove and update the following folders below

Install_ Content.msi - Scripts, redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture

This process will only remove and update Default Prepar3D files, It will not remove or overwrite Extra files (non default) that you have in place
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

fl95 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 pm Question is: Do I have to uninstall "content" and what does it remove ? What is with my 3rd-party Airplanes ? (PMDG, Carendao, A2A)
Can i just install the new "content" over the existing "content" ? (for the raindrops)
Achim

Hello fl95

You first Uninstall the current Content and then Install the updated Content.

Please see here for more details http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=120861

For questions regarding 3rd party software (Add On's) and a Content update you will need to contact the Add On vendor about this
Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

Poppet wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 pm Hello Geir

Install_ Content.msi - Scripts, redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture

This process will only remove and update Default Prepar3D files, It will not remove or overwrite Extra files (non default) that you have in place
Still sceptic about this, so i will not update the content for now. All are working just fine as it is with only client update. All ORBX scenery's working fine, ALL aircrafts with extra livery's working fine, so no thank you, the content stays as it is for now, but hank you anyway. If i do a complete re-install, then i might do all of it, and then add scenery's as i go and all livery's for aircrafts that i have, and some are default but with extra livery's, those files will be replaced by default if i do a content update, no thank you. My p3d v4 works just fine, no problems or what so ever, except that PTA sopped working with v4.1, sent a message to the developer to update the PTA..
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Poppet wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 pm The Content component will remove and update the following folders below
So, since some addons like ORBX modify default files, ORBX will be screwed up, won't it?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello jgoggi

The only default files that Orbx modify's is Scenery Textures, Please see the below post for more Information

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5216 ... nt=3724905
PreparPat

Post by PreparPat »

Mr Geir
FEAR,, False Evidance Appearing Real
Have you considered an image backup, so if your unfounded FEAR’s come true you can just re-image your drive. I’ve done this many times any it's saved my “Bacon”.
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

Poppet wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 pm Hello Geir

HI Elaine,
very interesting reading. If heard from really experienced users (devs and moderators) in other forum that regarding the SimObjects folder there addon aircraft disappeared after a content update. Or could that have been a problem with earlie P3D version updates? I myself always did only the client update.
Thanks
Otto
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

I have seen a report that installing content update removed all aircraft, including add-ons, from the SimObject\Airplanes folder. I haven't seen this mentioned in other forums, but was curious.