what a freaking nightmare!

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
cjdice

Post by cjdice »

I have been trying for 9 hours now to install this thing (really) and I have a brand new computer so everything is clean. EXCEPT for the fact that my C drive is full of windows stuff and it takes all of my C drive space. I belive that I have to install it to the D drive but when I try to install it, the program keeps going to look for the C drive and tells me I have no space. Even though I created a new folder in the D drive and labeled it preapr3d I downloaded the program and ran the installer. There is also a windows installer and an setup file and I have tried using both of them and they still don't work. Which one do I click on? and What the heck am I doing wrong? I have read the detailed instructions and it just says double click on setup and everything works. I didn't know what I was getting myself into and now I really need help.

thanks,

cj
sarsonk001

Post by sarsonk001 »

When you run the setup.exe the first window that comes up should have an options button at the bottom. Click that and you should be able to change the install drive to D.
cjdice

Post by cjdice »

yes, i have tried that but it still wants to go to the C drive. I even see in the screen that it is directed to go to D drive but It say no space available in C drive, very frustrating.
sarsonk001

Post by sarsonk001 »

How much space you got left on C and D drive? Something is wrong on your PC if you can't install anything to D and it all ends up on C even tho you specifically change the install path in the installer.
cjdice

Post by cjdice »

yep, I just got the computer and all the C drive is used up. I can't even install and anti virus because everything goes to C drive. My D drive has 465 gb. but I have never had a computer with more than one drive so maybe I just can't figure it all out. It makes no sense to fill up the C drive. I can't use it for anything.
soulmaril

Post by soulmaril »

Prepar3D setup copies installation cache files under "Program Data" folder which is always on OS drive. So if you don't have ~12 GB free space the setup will keep on saying "not enough free space" as it really needs it, no matter which drive you try to install the actual application. After installation you can delete these cache files to free up your claimed space.

Cheers and have fun with your new year
bakayoyo

Post by bakayoyo »

Filling up your C drive completely is a very bad idea, it causes problems with performance and stability. You should always aim to keep a couple of Gigs breathing space for your OS. Increase the C partition size or move some stuff off the C drive.
Saul

Post by Saul »

25% is the minimum recommended amount of free space for an OS drive. And for a new computer it simply can't be correct to have it full?

As Soulmaril said you can delete the PackageCache after installation to free up space.. but if you do that you can't do the P3D Repair function ;)

There is another option to extend your C Drive onto another hard drive to give extra virtual space to your C Drive ;)

Regards,

Saul.

cjdice

Post by cjdice »

I have 56 gb free to use of a 96 gb c drive. Looks like asus put the operating system on c drive leaving not much room (why). So the question is do I install the game to c drive and then to D drive? The D drive has 465 gb free and the E and F drives have space so those are the best storage spaces(brand new computer). How about all the millions of addons that I have eventually to reinstall, what drive do they go to because 56 gb on C drive is really nothing. I wish 1 tb of space was just on C drive like my old computer. This multi drive thing kind of sucks but I guess that's the way it is now and don't even get me started on window 8. Thanks guys, I am getting there with your help but I am still a little foggy.
N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

Look, it really isn't that difficult to grasp. No matter where you direct Prepar3Dv2 to install, at least 12GB of space must be available on your C:\ drive for the ten .CAB files to be archived first, then the entire program will be installed on whatever drive you have specified.

After it is installed, you can then move those archived files to another drive for safekeeping, in case you need them later to do a repair or uninstall, in which case you would then need to move them back to where they were originally.

Finally, you absolutely MUST use the Setup.exe program to install Prepar3D. You should NOT use the .msi file at all...
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
Saul

Post by Saul »

When installing click options and install it to your D drive is the better option.

There are some reasons why D drive is the better option

1 because it wont slow down from Operating system usage.

2 it won't interfere with the window controls on the programs files folder.

The installer will always need 10.5GB of space on your C drive for the Package Cache

The Package Cache can be found at this location. C:\ProgramData\Package Cache

To save space you can delete the package cache but its not really advisable, only in extreme cases as without it you won't be able to to a repair of Prepar3D

Regards,

Saul
ananda

Post by ananda »

Quote:
Quote from cjdice on January 1, 2014, 11:55

I have 56 gb free to use of a 96 gb c drive. Looks like asus put the operating system on c drive leaving not much room (why).

I deliberately created my C: drive as 100GB. One reason being that it gets fragmented very quickly.

I have three other drives, one for flight simulators (FSX P3D), one for scenery and another for development.

George

cjdice

Post by cjdice »

ok, I am going to try all of your suggestions but I will have to wait on it. I am redownloading to start from zero but the download is taking 12 hours. it's going to be a long night. Thanks again
cjdice

Post by cjdice »

Thanks all, so far, so good. I was able to install it to my D drive by keeping C drive clean. I am now putting in some addons to see how those work. I may be in for more stress but at least prepar3d was able to be used so I can move from there. To make it easier I have to remember that the D drive is just like the C drive from earlier computers. I just hope all the stress was worth it :)