Default Navdata database update

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
3_stars

Post by 3_stars »

Quote:
Quote from FSMP on February 3, 2013, 09:39

Don't forget, P3D is a "low Cost" SIMULATOR.

(1) Low Cost partly because the Airports and Nav data is NOT updated every month, to keep up with the real world. If it were, someone would have to pay for that to be done, which would probably mean a costly subscription, that only a few would use, which would mean the subscription would be very expensive.

(2) Its a SIMULATOR... so why can't it Simulate the world as it was at some fixed time in the past.

Is that really such a failing, compared with the high cost of keeping it up to date, for what is, and probably always will be, a reasonably small market.

For most training and learning purposes, the learning of procedures is the same, the only difference being a slight difference in that data, that changes over time.

What might be a compromise, would be the availability of Charts, Plates and Airport information, that matched the historic data in the Sim, that could be used with the Sim, rather than the current Chart & Nav data, that may, or may not match the sim.

( I fortunately have a CD of Charts, that were current when FSX nav data was frozen.. so I use that in the Sim, and I use Up-to-date real charts when flying in real world (of course !!). I experience no issues with switching between the two environments, and knowing which is a SIM, and which is real world.)

Unfortunately FS was never designed with (say) regular Monthly updates in mind. To re-design it now to accommodate such updates, would probably be cost prohibitive, as well as the cost of producing and distributing those updates.

This is the REAL WORLD -- You get what you pay for .. ( at least that applies to most people who are not getting free handouts !!)

(1) Low Cost partly because the Airports and Nav data is NOT updated every month, to keep up with the real world. If it were, someone would have to pay for that to be done, which would probably mean a costly subscription, that only a few would use, which would mean the subscription would be very expensive.

Indeed, but:

Nobody here was asking or talking and discussing for/about a monthly update – but a major update from time to time.

(2) Its a SIMULATOR... so why can't it Simulate the world as it was at some fixed time in the past.

Is that really such a failing, compared with the high cost of keeping it up to date, for what is, and probably always will be, a reasonably small market.

Simulating the world at a given or chosen point “in time” regarding nav data sure is an interesting idea!

And as lined out in some of the posts above here:

Something like a "Sim-related” database such as the UNS-1F for the Milviz 737-2 (if i understood this correctly), rather than a "Real-World” related” database is one possible way how this issue can be addressed.

This is the REAL WORLD -- You get what you pay for .. ( at least that applies to most people who are not getting free handouts !!)

This is the Real World indeed!

And this is the “Feature Request” site of P3D – no more but also no less.

So it is quite okay to ask for something like updating the nav data here and/or discuss about it - at least as long as it happens in a reasonable and constructive way which is definitely the case!

So maybe some kind of compromise between costs and benefit for P3D and its users regarding an updated nav data will be achievable for a future version of P3D - available for purchase in the real world then.

;)