VR Feature Requests

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
bill_rowe

VR Feature Requests

Post by bill_rowe »

Two features requested for VR:

1) A feature that is the opposite of the Gaze Selection. The cursor would be controlled only by the mouse and would not be affected by head movement. In a complex cockpit with a lot of switches/controls, it is hard to hold my head steady enough to select controls reliably. Also, many aircraft require monitoring a gauge while hitting a switch that is not in the same line of sight as a control.

2) Ability to customize the cursor shape/color to enhance the difference when the cursor is on an active control. In the typical grey/black panel, the subtle shading difference in the cursor when it is targeted on a control is hard to pick up. I'd like to change the color and/or have it change from filled circle, to an open circle.

Bill
fabs79

Re: VR Feature Requests

Post by fabs79 »

First of all, V4.4 in VR is a huge step forward and runs very fluently on my system. I used FlyInside for P3D up until version 4.3, but unfortunately it´s no longer compatible with 4.4 and support is terrible to say the least. So I guess I´ll have to stick with native VR in V4.4 for a while, which is fine at the moment. However, there are also some things I´d like to see improved:

1.) The mouse/gaze cursor is a huge blob that is permenantly in your FOV, which is quite an immersion killer. In FlyInside there was an option to let the mouse/gaze cursor fade out and make it visible again with a click of a joystick button. I´d like to see something like that in native VR, too
2.) I can`t seem to move or resize popup windows in VR, like the ATC window. When I click on the border of the window the sim freezes for a few seconds, than runs again with the size and position of the window unchanged. Is there something I´m doing wrong?
3.) Native Leap Motion support and an Annotator to edit the way switches and knobs react to the touch of the virtual hands for each aircraft. The Leap Motion integration FlyInside provides is totally unreliable, some aircraft have reversed axis for flap switches, some knobs don`t react at all and many things more. And the Annotator provided doesn`t run on my rig, it asks for certain .dll files no one could tell me where to get.

Thanks again for your efforts to improve the sim with every update!
chicagoboy

Post by chicagoboy »

bill_rowe wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:18 am Two features requested for VR:

1) A feature that is the opposite of the Gaze Selection. The cursor would be controlled only by the mouse and would not be affected by head movement. In a complex cockpit with a lot of switches/controls, it is hard to hold my head steady enough to select controls reliably. Also, many aircraft require monitoring a gauge while hitting a switch that is not in the same line of sight as a control.
+1

FlyInside's functionality is exactly how you describe. It makes a MASSIVE difference in the quality of using the mouse in VR. It also much more closely mirrors how you tune things in general IRL... You may look at a knob to grab it, but you don't have to keep staring at it as you operate it. For instance, I may be changing an altitude and then as I'm turning the knob want to glace and the FMS or a chart or something else. Literally impossible right now with the P3D implementation; whenever you want to interact with the virtual cockpit, you have to keep your head perfectly still. I can't imagine it would be so difficult to implement (again, FlyInside does this), but this small thing would have a huge impact on the quality of the VR experience.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

2) Ability to customize the cursor shape/color to enhance the difference when the cursor is on an active control. In the typical grey/black panel, the subtle shading difference in the cursor when it is targeted on a control is hard to pick up. I'd like to change the color and/or have it change from filled circle, to an open circle.

Bill
+1
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Bill
+1
Airtrooper

Post by Airtrooper »

fabs79 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:57 pm 3.) Native Leap Motion support
+1

I still prefer to use a joystick/yoke over Touch controllers, which leaves me fumbling around in VR between the two when needed to operate cockpit switches etc. Leap Motion is so much more intuitive and realistic and yet we still don't have native support for it in Prepar3D for reasons I cannot fathom. It would be wonderful to see this finally addressed please. Many thanks.
i7-8086K OC @ 5GHz, 64 Gb RAM, GTX 1080ti
Win10 Pro 64-bit, HP Reverb G2
sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi »

+1 for touch controllers though. I do like using touch controllers over a yoke, I find it much more gratifying. X-plane is the only one that allows this properly yet.
corbu1

Post by corbu1 »

+1 on improving VR!
VR is an amazing experience especially when flying helicopters.