Shadows and performance

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
ncooper

Shadows and performance

Post by ncooper »

Hello,
having just acquired a QHD monitor, it has become apparent that the shadow edges are of rather poor quality,
something that was not as obvious at 1920 x 1080 but that is painfully clear at 2560x1440, especially in virtual cockpits.
There are saw teeth everywhere that the shadow does not fall at 90 degrees to the surface and long saw teeth where the shadow falls at an acute angle. Add the constant quivering effect that goes with this lack of definition and the shadows start to look ridiculous.

I researched this and found the solution to increase OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE to 4096, which goes a long way towards mitigating the problem.
I also tried OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE = 8192 and the shadows then looked perfect.
Unfortunately, the frame rate dropped to 2.8 and both the simulator and my PC stopped working.
A check revealed that all of the 4 GB of RAM on my graphics card was in use, no doubt causing the unwanted frame rate.

Is it possible that a solution could be found to either massively improve the way the shadows look at the default 2048, or massively improve the way they look at 4096 and amend the in game slider to allow this or do something to P3D v4 so that
it displays sharp edged shadows without using all the resources available to a PC with 4gb of graphics card RAM and 16 GB of system RAM.

I am aware that a system with 11GB of graphics RAM and 32 GB of system RAM can handle the 8192 setting and have superb VC shadows while maintaining 32 fps but it seems a huge amount of resources just to produce shadows with sharp edges.
ananda

Re: Shadows and performance

Post by ananda »

If you look at external shadows, above aout 300ft they become fuzzy, above 1000ft they disappear.