P3Dv4 and VR?

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
flibberflops

Re: P3Dv4 and VR?

Post by flibberflops »

BG2518 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm
You say....
Note, The below is based on my experience on a Oculus Rift. I won't bother listing my PC spec as it makes no difference

I think that is wrong, however your review is absolutely spot on.
Hi,
Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. My performance comment was referring to the changes in VR performance between V4 to V3.4. For me I cannot see hardly any performance difference between the two versions. Therefore whatever spec PC you have you should get similar performance on V4 as you did on V3.4.

If you are new to P3D VR, then yes you really need a beast of a PC unless you are going to run in low resolution/low settings.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

We fixed two more issues. Here is the updated list:
- Stereo and mono performance is the same when mono should be faster. (fixed)
- Performance is degraded after exiting VR. (fixed)
Workaround: Resetting the scenario should return performance back to normal levels.
- Label text mismatch between eyes. (fixed)
Workaround: Run in mono mode.
- Dynamic lighting renders in left eye only. (fixed)
- Mouse cursor alignment issues. (Planning to look into this soon)
Partial workaround: Run with app maximized for best alignment.

Issues marked fixed will be included in the next release. At this time, we can't comment on when that will be. Thank you for your feedback and patience. Please keep the feedback and detailed bug reports coming.
Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
hobaoe

Post by hobaoe »

in vr the left eye is jittery in movement but the right eye is smooth.

and the whole image seems to very often shakes.
Gent

Post by Gent »

Is there a separate confit file for VR? If not, it would be helpful so changes between VR and non VR would not have to be made every time.
flibberflops

Post by flibberflops »

Beau Hollis wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:47 am We fixed two more issues. Here is the updated list:
- Stereo and mono performance is the same when mono should be faster. (fixed)
- Performance is degraded after exiting VR. (fixed)
Workaround: Resetting the scenario should return performance back to normal levels.
- Label text mismatch between eyes. (fixed)
- Dynamic lighting renders in left eye only. (fixed)
- Mouse cursor alignment issues. (Planning to look into this soon)
Partial workaround: Run with app maximized for best alignment.

Issues marked fixed will be included in the next release. At this time, we can't comment on when that will be. Thank you for your feedback and patience. Please keep the feedback and detailed bug reports coming.
Thanks
Thanks Beau,
I have updated the info in my link with your latest comments.

I know its a big job but are there plans to enable the map, gps, atc popup windows inside VR at some point in the future?
hobaoe

Post by hobaoe »

in vr the left eye is jittery in movement but the right eye is smooth.

and the whole image seems to shake very often.

posting this again because this got to be fixed
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

flibberflops wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:40 pm
BG2518 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm
You say....
Note, The below is based on my experience on a Oculus Rift. I won't bother listing my PC spec as it makes no difference

I think that is wrong, however your review is absolutely spot on.
Hi,
Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. My performance comment was referring to the changes in VR performance between V4 to V3.4. For me I cannot see hardly any performance difference between the two versions. Therefore whatever spec PC you have you should get similar performance on V4 as you did on V3.4.

If you are new to P3D VR, then yes you really need a beast of a PC unless you are going to run in low resolution/low settings.
I see where you are coming from now - thanks.

I did briefly use VR in v3 and I find v4 to be a high improvement (apart from the stereo mess - lol)

I'm using OculusDebugTool.exe to increase the Pixels Per Display and am having great success with that at a setting of 1.8 on a mediocre machine. Very clear imagery now. Also finding that Force 45fps Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) Enabled seems to smooth out the performance and makes VR more useable.

I DEFINATELY need a new system and will be raiding the penny jar for a top end 4 core only i9 asap. Beau, pls comment on what you think i9's may do for us users AND if (as I think) we should only limit ourselves to 4 cores as anything more than that may not be significantly used by P3D v4.

Thanks,

BG2518-Bob
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

"high improvement" for me, at least means being able to fly in VR at all.

V3, I could NOT at all.

V4 has some awful issues as said i.e. stereo mode mouse cursor (a BAD release error agreed!) but LM are going to fix this.

P3D v 4 is BETA in my mind and always will be i.e. continual improvements.

I follow it AND Aerofly and probably will do so ongoing.

I don't speak for anyone else.

BG2518-Bob
pipeorgan

Post by pipeorgan »

Beau Hollis wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 am Note: The menu items are added by the VR add-on after you switch to a VR view. There is also stereo/mono toggle.

Thank you for the information, I was hunting around on my monitor when not in vr.
Airtrooper

Post by Airtrooper »

I'm really pleased with VR in v4 using my Rift CV1. I'm also looking forward to a few glitches being fixed in the next release. Well done LM!

I was wondering if Leap Motion will also be supported (perhaps with "virtual hands") for clicking/moving items in the VC?
i7-8086K OC @ 5GHz, 64 Gb RAM, GTX 1080ti
Win10 Pro 64-bit, HP Reverb G2
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Using the oculusdebugtool with use data displayed I can see a HUGE amount of frames that are dropped.

I know I will have to update from my i7 12 core system to something more suited to VR but all other apps seem to cope really well in VR but P3D still has fps issues i.e. I seem to be getting 16-20 MAX in the rift on medium settings which is less than I want and only just dooo able.

Can LM state what would be the absolute preferred minimum requirements for a system to run VR please.

I am currently just below the standard that Oculus say they need and get very good performance elsewhere as said.

BG2518-Bob
hobaoe

Post by hobaoe »

do you guys notice jittery movement in the left eye in the cv1? also very frequent shaking on whole image?
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

If you want an excellent VR experience with P3DV4 - here is a starting point:
1) Download the BlueSky photoreal scenery for the Grand Canyon - not necessarily all of it
http://www.blueskyscenery.com/AZ.html

2) Use the Alabeo Extra 300 and fly down just above the Colorado - FPS single monitor >190 and locked at 90 in VR
3) Graphic settings - mostly standard except:
- 8XMSAA, No FXAA, Aniso = 8X, LOD = MAX, Water Detail = LOW, No Reflections, HDR = off, No dynamic Refl/Lighting
4) Shadows = LOW, Clouds = minimal, no traffic , Vsync = off, Target Frame rate = unlimited
5) Use Oculus Tray Tool by ApollyonVR http://bit.ly/2s0vsDS to set Pixel Density = 1.5

Then, after enjoying that, try other aircraft and you will see that many of them cause a significant slowdown. The best in addition to the Extra include the F22, the Cessna 172, the Maule, and the Blackhawk. Then try small airports and finally complex airports and the single monitor framerate will be below 60 and therefore the VR experience will be very poor.

For some reason, P3D/FSX/ESP always has had a framerate about 40% that of War Thunder, Aerofly FS2, and Combat Air Patrol - all of which generally maintain an FPS >200 (i7 @ 4.2Ghz, Nvidia 970) where there is similar graphical content in terms of terrain + objects + instrument panel graphics. FS2 usually can do >300 fps with an electronic cockpit and a complex airport like KSFO. I am hoping now that Lockheed Martin is using source code that is 64-bit that they own and understand, they could increase performance to that of the other flight simulators. The other sims show that it can be done.
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD