Multiplayer in 4.3

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application's multiplayer mode
BlueBird1

Multiplayer in 4.3

Post by BlueBird1 »

Morning all,

Does anyone by chance have a step by step instruction on connecting with Multiplayer in V4.3. I have watched the video on the main web page.... but it does not show all of the steps and wondering if anyone has taken the time to do that. My dad and I both have V4.3 and want to try formation flying. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
Bluebird1
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Multiplayer in 4.3

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Our Learning Center documentation has detailed steps on hosting and joining multiplayer: https://prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/net ... rview.html

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
chrismot

Post by chrismot »

Hi everyone,

I read with great attention the P3D documentation on multiplayer as Rob says...!

I've done a lot of tests in LAN, or local area network, and it works.

But the problem is to create a WAN connection, either via the Internet, to be able to connect with friends from other countries. I know that there are possibilities like JoinFS, or FSHost, or others... But these possibilities do not allow the host to choose the weather, the terrain,... in short the context of the session. The question is therefore as follows:

Does P3D now allow a connection via the Internet, and allow a host session and clients from all over the world?

If not, does P3D plan to create this opportunity in the future?

Please answer precisely
Chris
Designer - Developer
Page Facebook SwissMilSim - YouTube SwissMilSim
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Yes, you can connect to the same session over the internet. You can create scenarios including changing weather settings and locations and have others join these sessions.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
chrismot

Post by chrismot »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Yes, you can connect to the same session over the internet
Thank you Rob... but how????

Because the user manual provided by P3D only works in LAN, and absolutely not in WAN... It would really be nice for everyone to have an official and functional method! Because I see on all the forums that simmers are looking for solutions to make this multiplayer work via the internet...!
The link you give above (https://prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/net ... rview.html) only works in a local connection (LAN)!

Thank you for finding a reliable solution for all those who expect a simple solution...
Chris
Designer - Developer
chrismot

Post by chrismot »

It is a little surprising to note that, at Lockheed Martin, no one is able to answer this simple question precisely, nor to give precise instructions for use...!

Does P3D now allow a connection via the Internet, and allow a host session and clients from all over the world?
Chris
Designer - Developer
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

FSX did, P3D did when 1st launched. Then it got broken. Then "Beatles" fixed it. Now it seems that someone else has "broken" it again.

A few months ago I wrote a detailed post about the disappointing state of P3D Multipayer, but decided not to actually post it.
Had enough ... If LM have not managed to get MP sorted and working reliably in over 3+ year, one has to seriously wonder if they ever will.
Really miss Beatles & Serge :(
Daube

Post by Daube »

I can simply confirm I'm also having problems to host a session with the native multiplayer mode in P3Dv4.3 and 4.4.
When I log in, I do not see any sessions in the list.
So I create a session for 4 players, then I tell my IP adress to my friends so that they can use the "connect directly" button, but the connection always fails.
I thought it was due to my internet provider box settings (port forwarding, maybe) so I used the connection of my telephone instead, but the result was the same.

In the end, we just use JoinFS most of the times, or FFS2Play.
DanSaxton

Post by DanSaxton »

this seems like a common problem...

we have 2 PCs on the same LAN, when I create a multiplayer 'host' on either PC, and use 'direct IP' it just comes back as can't connect.

what we've tried already...
- Router can see both PCs
- I can ping each PC from the other.
- I have created port forwarding in the router.
- i've tried disabling the router firewall

i need to double check the version numbers, but both were installed at the same time (do updates effect it?)

has anyone got any other ideas please???
DanSaxton

Post by DanSaxton »

I can confirm that it was down to version numbers - did the update (which was really easy) and all ok.