[RESOLVED] TrackIR

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Ken Hall

Post by Ken Hall »

Track IR not working, anyone been able to get it to work yet?

cheers
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Ken,

NaturalPoint will need to support it with their drivers. Suggest you send a note to them in their support forums.

John

Ken Hall

Post by Ken Hall »

thanks John, i believe Heiko has already done that

cheers

KelvinNZ

Post by KelvinNZ »

Hi John,

Trackir have directed me back to your developers to look into compatibility with TrackIR, this forum tells me to go back to TrackIR. I'm now feeling like a tennis ball. Can you update on the future relationship between Prepar3d and TrackIR?

Cheers,

Kelvin.
Penzoil3

Post by Penzoil3 »

Agreed, Natural Point says to tell you; I want TrackIR supported in Prepar3D. You tell me it's their problem. This is ridiculous. Can't the two sets of developers talk to each other, instead of playing the blame game ? We paid good money for both products.

Sue
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Sue, Kelvin,

We have published the SDK and this is the appropriate way for 3rd Parties to integrate into Prepar3D. We cannot possibly integrate every piece of hardware inside of Prepar3D and it is not a simple task in this case. We have investigated and it will take us weeks to do.

NaturalPoint did support Prepar3D in version 1.0 and they have decided not to do so for 1.1 or 1.2. That is their choice and I cannot influence them any further.

If you require TrackIR support, there is a work-around by using EZDOK and this is also described in these forums. So yes you can use TrackIR with Prepar3D. Please read the other posts.

John

mac2244

Post by mac2244 »

John just in the process of deciding whether to try prepar3d and a key decider is going to be track ir support. I have to say i am

slightly bewildered by the large number of posts on this subject - it appears their is a prepar3d profile in the latest trackirv5 software (have located it) but that no one can get it to work - I note your EZDOK work around which I will try as a last resort - but just wondering if this issue is ever going to get resolved without the need to buy more software - for reference (in case you have not seen) I attach a link to post where a trackir manager explains in a large amount of detail why the trackir profile is not working!

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... #Post50129
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Not wishing to add fuel to a flame war but as a non-LM participant in this Forum I'm with LM on this one. TrackIR is a very niche product in commercial simulation. It really only has utility where you have a restricted capability for multi-monitors AND is only useful for single person trainer. Anything that requires more than one student or an instructor/student combination then the TrackIR becomes a liability rather than an asset (I am speaking from experience of implementing solutions which used TrackIR). LM are putting a great deal of effort into Mult-Monitor, Multi-Channel configurations and it is very easy to setup. Consequently you can have any Field of View you could possibly require with the SimIG utility making the need for a TrackIR totally irrelevant. However I do appreciate there are a lot of 'single' pilots out there with limited hardware that would find the Track IR incredibly useful so I'm not saying it has no utility, just P3D does give you the ability to have a complete 360 FOV if you require it. In addition the TrackIR does introduce an element of negative training in that for a small change in head movement you get a large change of view but with a Multi-Monitor arrangement if you move your head 90 degrees the view changes by 90 degrees. LM provide a method for any desired FOV so they have no need to support TrackIR. I'd rather they concentrate their efforts on core-activity rather than supporting a single piece of hardware (which is excellent at what it does)
Simba_nl

Post by Simba_nl »

Well, as a former Airline pilot and now flying and instructing single engines for PPL in the real world, a lot of people ask me what to buy for flightsim training and one of the most important hardware beside a Yoke/Stick and Rudder is Track-IR for flying in the VC. Extend this with 3D vision or similar solution and forget your 3 monitors for your real 90 degree view. I'm sorry to say but 3D simulation is the future to give the student a good preview of the real stuff and the most amateurs who are willing to pay 10 bugs a month for a extended FSX version are serious sim pilots and the most of them using Track-IR.

Just my 2 cents...

PS: still fighting to get Track-IR working in P3D.
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Simba_nl,

Just to clarify a statement that you made so that there are no misunderstandings, Sim pilots, students and amateurs shouldn't be on the developer network subscription. These users are required to be on the commercial license if they are not using it for development or entertainment purposes. (BTW, I won't be talking about the EULA, or entering into any discussions on the EULA. :-(

Coming back to TrackIR, EZDok uses SimConnect to successfully integrate in with Prepar3D to get TrackIR working. I have it working myself and like it a lot. There may be an enterprising developer out there that could also create a SimConnect client for TrackIR, which is the appropriate avenue for third-party hardware support. Just saying.

John

mac2244

Post by mac2244 »

Jimcooper

Thanks for your reply but I think you slightly missed the point of my original post - my post was not aimed at getting LM to invest more resource into getting TrackIR to work - from everything I have read the ball is really in Track IR's court to get the prepar3d supported in their drivers - but it was to find out from John if this issue would ever get solved?(I presume John has had some communication with Track IR on the issue) - as I mentioned earlier I am in the process of deciding whether to give prepar3d a try as I have heard many good things about it.

Slightly off topic but I am also interested to know when v2.0 of prepar3d is likely to be launched (approx) and when are REX likely to release a licence so I can use my REX extreme with it?

Simba_nl

Post by Simba_nl »

Hi John, I know this is not the correct forum and put it ofcourse in the AVSim community but although I have a EZDOK running and the software is seeing Track-IR active there is still no headtracking and very frustrating to see that the TIR software also see EZDOK, Both waving hello and welcome to each other but no headtracking (?/!)
WarpSpider74

Post by WarpSpider74 »

G'day all,

I'd just like to point out that there are other options to TrackIR out there, that do just work fine in P3D via simconnect. Personally, I use a self-made FreeTrack rig, it works just fine in both FSX and in P3D without the need to fluff around with EZCA, if you're not inclined to do so. If you're not keen on homebrew solutions, but you've already got a TrackClip with your TrackIR rig and you also have a webcam, then you've got everything you need to use FreeTrack. I've also tested FaceTrackNOIR, which also works just fine, if not with the accuracy of TrackIR or FreeTrack.

Cheers,

Derek
KelvinNZ

Post by KelvinNZ »

John,

Maybe you could offer some "off topic" tips about how to setup TrackIR. I have TrackIR in FSX and it is a great product.

I suppose (conforming to LM's standards) TrackIR could be used if you were in a multi user environment say in a hercules where there would be a navigator (on one screen with seperate trackIR use) and a pilot (on another screen with seperate TrackIR use). This way each person would have a screen/screens and somehow there could be a unique way for each person to view their command post on their own screen with TrackIR. I hope you get my drift. Frankly, I do see a need commercially for TrackIR if we look at the multiuser context. I understand that two pilots looking at one screen may cause problems as one person would need to follow the other persons head movements but if the one screen can be split into two screens running on a multi channel setup then each channel (PC) could have a track IR setup thus having two trackIR's installed. If you turn your head out of view it doesn't matter because you will then be looking over to the other pilots screen which you can still see.

I think there is a misconception about TrackIR and it for some reason only being see as a single use hardware but we need to think outside the square and say, well, why not accomodate a dual setup config as long as TrackIR can be seperated to two seperate machines (technology is already there for that, called multichannel). Anyway let me know what you all think.
birdmanmike

Post by birdmanmike »

I have TrackIR running fine on Prepar3D with EZdok Camera. Search the appropriate forums. Simba - Make sure you have V 1.17 of EZdok and adhere to the setup instructions in the manual. The author has published a patch on the forum allowing Ezdok to run from Prepar3D without changing exec name. Make sure you have the product key entered! And - don't forget to copy over EXE.xml entries for EZdok. It should then work