DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Erenasss

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by Erenasss »

I get it on certain planes (Such as PMDG's NGXu, 747 QOTSII (which is fully compatible with v5), QualityWings' 787, etc) in prepar3d v5 when going from an outside view to an inside one. I tried reinstalling Prepar3D three times already, tried lowering the settings, tried reinstalling my drivers, reinstalling DirectX 12, nothing works. My framerates in those planes are quite high, around 60-100 FPS, so I have no idea what would cause my GPU to hang.
My specs are :
Windows 10 Home
CPU : Ryzen 5 3550H 3.7GHz
GPU : AMD Radeon RX560X with 4GB of DDR6 VRAM
RAM : 8GB of DDR4 Ram
It also happens that I have no preview of any plane in P3D's Launcher, I don't know if it's useful to know, but I'm putting it here.
Thanks - Erenasss

Edit : After reinstalling P3D, the situation got even worse, it crashes even in the default GA planes that Prepar3D comes with, not neccessairily with the device hung problem, it just stops responding and CTD's.
Martyson

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by Martyson »

Erenasss wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:03 pm I get it on certain planes (Such as PMDG's NGXu, 747 QOTSII (which is fully compatible with v5), QualityWings' 787, etc) in prepar3d v5 when going from an outside view to an inside one. I tried reinstalling Prepar3D three times already, tried lowering the settings, tried reinstalling my drivers, reinstalling DirectX 12, nothing works. My framerates in those planes are quite high, around 60-100 FPS, so I have no idea what would cause my GPU to hang.
My specs are :
Windows 10 Home
It also happens that I have no preview of any plane in P3D's Launcher, I don't know if it's useful to know, but I'm putting it here.
Thanks - Erenasss

Edit : After reinstalling P3D, the situation got even worse, it crashes even in the default GA planes that Prepar3D comes with, not neccessairily with the device hung problem, it just stops responding and CTD's.
To try to isolate what is causing the CTD
Look in the Windows Event Viewer and get the
Faulting Module Name
example:

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Erenasss

Post by Erenasss »

Martyson wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:04 am
Erenasss wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:03 pm I get it on certain planes (Such as PMDG's NGXu, 747 QOTSII (which is fully compatible with v5), QualityWings' 787, etc) in prepar3d v5 when going from an outside view to an inside one. I tried reinstalling Prepar3D three times already, tried lowering the settings, tried reinstalling my drivers, reinstalling DirectX 12, nothing works. My framerates in those planes are quite high, around 60-100 FPS, so I have no idea what would cause my GPU to hang.
My specs are :
Windows 10 Home
Thanks - Erenasss

To try to isolate what is causing the CTD
Look in the Windows Event Viewer and get the
Faulting Module Name
example:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.0.24.34874, time stamp: 0x5eab3677
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1192, time stamp: 0x7889407f
Exception code: 0xc0020001
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039709
Faulting process ID: 0x31a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d62c6ab4afe286
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 28e690a8-3edb-4a02-9351-5d58e2f51447
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

best regards, - erenasss
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll"

That is a Windows error and it is generally hard to solve.

I would start by testing with the LM default flight and see if it is ok or not.

Just to verify, you did not see DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG in the Windows Event Viewer log on any of your past problems / crashes?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
MTN1794

Post by MTN1794 »

Check out this link and scroll down page 1 and there is a comment about this issue and a registry fix to stop it from happening. I haven't had to do this because I haven't had this problem yet. However, it looks like a plan someone could try out.
https://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=4836.0
Erenasss

Post by Erenasss »

Martyson wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:16 pm "Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll"

That is a Windows error and it is generally hard to solve.

I would start by testing with the LM default flight and see if it is ok or not.

Just to verify, you did not see DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG in the Windows Event Viewer log on any of your past problems / crashes?
It's hit and miss with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Sometimes it appears (only when going from the outside to the inside, not when i'm flying) and sometimes it doesn't and my sim just stops responding and CTDs
Erenasss

Post by Erenasss »

MTN1794 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:06 pm Check out this link and scroll down page 1 and there is a comment about this issue and a registry fix to stop it from happening. I haven't had to do this because I haven't had this problem yet. However, it looks like a plan someone could try out.
https://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=4836.0
I've tried that before, it didn't do anything, the DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG window still pops up.
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Step 1: You can try reregistering kernelbase.dll and check.

a. Click Start and type cmd in start search. Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

b. Type "regsvr32 KERNELBASE.dll" without the quotes and Press Enter.

c. Restart your computer and check.

Step 2:System File Checker [SFC]

If still you are facing the issue, then you can try running a System File Checker [SFC] scan on the computer which will replace the missing or corrupt files & check if the issue persists.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64G DDR4 Core Speed 3200Ghz
OS: Windows 10 (tweaked/modded for Flight Sim Performance)
Erenasss

Post by Erenasss »

pestridge77 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:49 pm Step 1: You can try reregistering kernelbase.dll and check.

a. Click Start and type cmd in start search. Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

b. Type "regsvr32 KERNELBASE.dll" without the quotes and Press Enter.

c. Restart your computer and check.

Step 2:System File Checker [SFC]

If still you are facing the issue, then you can try running a System File Checker [SFC] scan on the computer which will replace the missing or corrupt files & check if the issue persists.
Tried reregistering the dll, this error popped up : "The module KERNELBASE.dll was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.
Make sure that KERNELBASE.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

When trying to run the System File Checker, it said that Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Bingo....corrupted files were the reason for the crash.... the best way to resolve this is to join the windows insider programme and update windows to the latest beta build.......2004..... that will resolve that issue completely....
Erenasss

Post by Erenasss »

pestridge77 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 am Bingo....corrupted files were the reason for the crash.... the best way to resolve this is to join the windows insider programme and update windows to the latest beta build.......2004..... that will resolve that issue completely....
What about the vram issues P3Dv5 HF1 still has ? These corrupted DLLs will definitely fix the sim stopping to respond and CTD-ing, but what about the original error, the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ? Do I just have to wait for LM to come out with HF2 ?
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Upgrading your windows build will defo fix the dll issue...

It will also help to prevent future sim crashes and gpu crashes as it manages the vram better and there is no heavy load anymore on the cpu and gpu with all the add ons running...

If you do still get a gpu crash after upgrading windows, you can prevent them from having by changing the length of time windows waits to reset the graphics card after it is hung on loading something.....which the hung error that comes up...currently windows only waits 2 seconds and then if the graphics card is still hanging, it resets it....

Find my You Tube channel, Youber Adam J Pestridge......head into my discord through one of my videos and there is a link and reg fix....this will only help towards the gpu crashes.....

In all honesty tho, I really do recommend upgrading your windows build by entering the windows insider group...
Erenasss

Post by Erenasss »

pestridge77 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 am Upgrading your windows build will defo fix the dll issue...

It will also help to prevent future sim crashes and gpu crashes as it manages the vram better and there is no heavy load anymore on the cpu and gpu with all the add ons running...

If you do still get a gpu crash after upgrading windows, you can prevent them from having by changing the length of time windows waits to reset the graphics card after it is hung on loading something.....which the hung error that comes up...currently windows only waits 2 seconds and then if the graphics card is still hanging, it resets it....

Find my You Tube channel, Youber Adam J Pestridge......head into my discord through one of my videos and there is a link and reg fix....this will only help towards the gpu crashes.....

In all honesty tho, I really do recommend upgrading your windows build by entering the windows insider group...
I'll search up how to enter the Windows Insider Group, thanks for the help. About the registry fix, I tried it before, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers : TdrLevel is a Qword set to 0 yet my GPU still hangs. I'll enter your discord server, my username is Fló, I'll keep you updated here until then
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

level 0 wont do anything, value data needs to be either 8 or 60....mine is set to 60
Erenasss

Post by Erenasss »

pestridge77 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 am level 0 wont do anything, value data needs to be either 8 or 60....mine is set to 60
I see, I'll try setting it to 60 then. Everywhere I search, it says to switch it to 0 from 2 (2 being the default).