Blue Screen after RTX 2080 Update

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
TRM645

Blue Screen after RTX 2080 Update

Post by TRM645 »

Hello,

A few weeks ago I updated my GPU to a RTX 2080 from Gigabyte. I'm running a dual screen setup, together with an i7 8700K at 4.70GHz. The GPU is not overclocked. In the beginning everything was running okay, but since a few days I'm experiencing blue screens in random situations (mostly during cruise flight, while working on my second screen). The strange thing is, that every time the "blue screen reason" is a different one. And I'm only experiencing it with P3D and not with other demanding games.

I got the following blue screens:

1st time: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
2nd time: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
3rd time: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

I'm running on the newest nvidia driver 419.17 and updated to the new 419.35 today (not yet tested with P3D).

Any ideas on what causes these blue screens? Really drives me crazy. Hope somebody can help.

Regards
Tim
downscc

Re: Blue Screen after RTX 2080 Update

Post by downscc »

Blue screens are generally hardware related. Assuming the video card does not have a flaw, perhaps the problem is with your power supply? Can you revert to your old card to confirm that it works okay?
Dan Downs
KCRP
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This is usually CPU overclocking related. In most cases it's the bus frequency being too high ... if you have bus frequency above 100 (overclocking tools frequently play with small increments to this value to squeeze out a tad more performance). If it's above 100, then reset it to 100.

If your CPU cache frequency is adjustable, then drop that down to "factor" spec.

Test again.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
Chassin

Post by Chassin »

When you update your video drivers with Nvidia Experience do you choose custom install and check the clean install box? this might help. Don't install any components which you don't use or don't need.

Sometimes old components left on the drive may cause problems to appear.

You don't want any left overs from your earlier card.