[RESOLVED] Joystick second slider not detected

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
d1049

[RESOLVED] Joystick second slider not detected

Postby d1049 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Compared to FSX, P3Dv4 supports not only 32 buttons per joystick, but 132 (as X-Plane 11 does); presumably DirectInput’s DIJOYSTATE2 is used instead of the previous DIJOYSTATE. This is good news, it allows me to use the 132 channels of my home-made joystick board.

But there are also bad news: only 7 axes are usable, the second slider is not detected; it is detected and used by X-Plane and also by the old FSX. This is weird, because the 2 versions of DIJOYSTATE have 2 sliders.
I noticed that in FSX’s Standard.XML, the second slider is named “NULL”, its index is 7.
I copied the relevant FSX entry into P3D’s Standard.XML; P3D renamed it “Rudder” (index unchanged) but still ignores the axis.
I don’t have the pay version of FSUIPC5 installed, so I don’t know whether it could be a workaround. As for me, I made a DLL that acquires the slider and uses SimConnect to control the flaps, since this is the axis I miss.

d1049

Joystick second slider not detected

Postby d1049 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Solution: in the setup menu, under "Controls", at the bottom, there is a section "Other" where a radio button "INPUT METHOD" allows to select "DirectInput" rather than "Raw Input". "DirectInput" makes the second slider work normally (named "Rudder").

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”