Stuttering at destination airport

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Damokles20

Stuttering at destination airport

Post by Damokles20 »

Hi,

I have a nasty performance issue with P3D v4.3 which I cannot solve on my own and which is driving me nuts.
Though I believe that my overall performance in P3D is in relation to my rig too bad I experience a very strange behavior. Please imagine the following scenario:

I start a flight with, for example, PMDG 747-400 at an add-on airport such as Aerosoft Frankfurt, taxi to the runway and take off and return to the airport at the locked and stable 30 FPS (half refresh rate of monitor). But if I take-off at another airport with Frankfurt as destination I get very poor performance even on approach and much worse on the ground (unstable FPS less than 30 FPS). Environmental conditions are the same.
Please note that Frankfurt is exemplary. You can consider any other airport.

Summarizing, acceptable performance at an airport as long as destination = departure. Very bad performance at this identical destination if departing from somewhere else.

My configuration:
Prepare 3D 4.3 Academic, PMDG 747 v3 – 3.00.9019, FSUIPC 5.122, GSX
Intel i7-8700K @ 5 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GTX1060 6GB, OS and P3D installed on two M2 SSD
Windows 10 Pro., no virus scanners running, UAC off, full admin rights.

I can move all sliders to the left in P3D (does not make anny difference). Locked with Inspector at 30FPS. Limiting to 30, 31,32 or even unlimited in P3D does not make any difference. Only limiting inside P3D gives stuttering.

Can anybody help? I am Flight Simmer from FS5 days on and I want to have it back

Thanks in advance!

Tobias
AnkH

Re: Stuttering at destination airport

Post by AnkH »

I read you, I have exactly the same problem and also others already reported this in various forums. So far, I did not find any solution, it might be (in my case) that it is somehow related to AI traffic (I use UT2 for now) or maybe something with simconnect calls (UT2 adds AI planes via simconnect calls if I am not wrong).

So, yes, if there is any solution to this phenomenon, I would really love to know it.
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
downscc

Re: Stuttering at destination airport

Post by downscc »

The solution is two fold. The problem is caused P3D creating "long frames" when loading scenery objects. If you've already been there then the scenery is already loaded. Go someplace new with lots of scenery objects and you get this problem, some places are worse than others but it is consistent. A scenery object is any 3D object that is part of the scenery: Terminal buildings, ship dock cranes, landmarks structures, etc. Terrain, mesh or autogen objects do not cause these long frames. One solution is the scenery developer to control when scenery objects are loaded, or become visible, such that not everything at once gets shoved at the render process. Flightbeam is probably the best at this. The other solution is to hope for a major update to P3D that overcomes this long standing issue with the original Microsoft FSX/ESP rendering engine. I keep hoping the latter happens soon but major updates take time.
Dan Downs
KCRP