Performance advice

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Jespersson

Performance advice

Post by Jespersson »

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to analyze my system and figure out the best way to optimize performance in P3D. Currently I usually have 15-30 FPS in an airport environment and about twice as much mid air which I personally believe is a bit low for my system. I recently installed a brand new GTX 1080 card which to be honest didn't make that much of a difference performance wise (from a GTX 960).

I'm not really an expert on how different applications uses the system so I figured I might just ask here instead. What I've been able to understand so far is that by looking in the performance monitor the CPU cores are mostly maxed out and the graphics card is at about 30%. My old graphics card was always at 90%-100%. RAM and hard drives are also working on low levels.

My questions are basically:
1: Is the performance reasonable for my system or should it be better?
2: What can I do to improve performance other than lowering the settings dramatically?

My specs are:
CPU: i7-6700 3,40GHz
Graphics: GTX1080
RAM: 16GB
Display: Samsung 34" curved - 3440x1440
Hard Drives: 500GB for system and 750GB for games (Neither are SSDs).

P3D settings:
FXAA: Off
AA: 4xMSAA
Texture filtering: 2x
Texture resolution: Medium 1024x1024
Game resolution: 3440x1440x32
Vsync: On
Tripple Buffering: On
Target frame rate: 35
Mipmap panels: Off

Detail level: High
Tesselation factor: High
Mesh resolution: 5m
Texture resolution: 1m
High resolution terrain: Off
Scenery complexity: Extremely dense
Autogen draw distance: High
Vegetation density: Dense
Building density: Very dense
Dynamic autogen vegetation: Off
Water detail: Medium
Bathymetry: Off
Reflections: User vehicle
Special effects detail: Medium
Special effects distance: Medium

HDR: On
Dynamic reflections: Off
Dynamic lighting: On
Landing lights illuminate ground: On
Lens flare: Off
Shadow quality: Medium
Shadow draw distance: Low
Casting and recieving: Internal vehicle only

Weather is controlled by Active sky with standard settings.

Some of my addons:
Many airport addons
ORBX:
FTX Global
FTX Europe
FTX Trees HD
FTX Vector (with only Highways and Primary roads activated)
EU England
Kind regards
Jesper Persson
downscc

Re: Performance advice

Post by downscc »

Try setting your frame rate limit to 20, 24 or even 26 fps. I use 24 fps and this makes a big difference by providing the CPU extra time to process each frame when there is a lot to process. Even at 20 fps I always had smooth animation, except of course for the occasion "long frame" that P3D throws at you when loading scenery objects (eg terminal buildings, non-autogen scenery objects). I selected 24 fps because at that rate I experience the least number of lost anti collision beacon flashes.
Dan Downs
KCRP
fahdriyami

Re: Performance advice

Post by fahdriyami »

Set the FPS limit to Unlimited and turn off Dynamic lighting. For me at least, setting these two things differently would absolutely destroy my FPS. Otherwise I get between 40-70 fps average, but it can dip to the 20's at times.

I mostly fly the QualityWings 787 and PMDG 777.
Orbx everything.
Custom airports from FlyTampa, Aerosoft, UK2000, PacSim, ImaginSim, and a bunch of others.
My PC specs are in my signature.
PC Specs - Intel Core i7-9700K, Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming, 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4, Asus GTX 1080 Ti Strix, 2x Samsung 970 NVMe RAID 0, WD Black 1TB HDD, Samsung CF791 Ultrawide, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.