do i need to upgrade my computer components?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
karl2809

do i need to upgrade my computer components?

Post by karl2809 »

Hi all

I have just recently purchased p3d and would like some advice on computer components

I have an older computer that consists of;
I7 4770k OC'd 3.9ghz on all cores
coolmaster 240 AIO watercooler
asus z87-k mobo
16GB 1600mhz DDR3 memory
GTX 1060 6GB edition OC'D to 2000 MHZ (recent purchase)
SSD's with P3d and soon addons installed

I know my computer components are outdated now compared to whats on the market but what would you guys recommend (if any) in terms of upgrades?
I don't want to do unnecessary upgrades if i don't have to but i am willing to spend some cash if upgrades are needed for a smooth sim experience. I dont want to go all out crazy with upgrades but enough to get the smooth sim experience without going over the top. im not after 60/70 FPS everywhere i fly but i would be happy with 40-45 FPS

The addons i will be looking at using are;
Odd airport add-ons in the UK and Europe (5/6 potentially)
FSL A320
UK scenery addon
chaseplane for cameras
weather engine for real world weather (not decided which yet)

Any help people can give me will be much appriciated
downscc

Re: do i need to upgrade my computer components?

Post by downscc »

I don't recommend using frame rate as a measure of quality. It only has significance if it is too low. As a matter of fact, there are a large number of P3D users that limit frame rate to obtain better visuals. Mine is locked at 24 fps and the animation is silky smooth.

LM publishes the the minimum and recommend system specifications, no need for guess work. I don't see any reason why you might need to update based on recommended system (https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/).

If you are going to add complex scenery or aircraft then you might consider upgrading to something like an 8700K and a GTX 1080Ti, but you will not need to if your crazy tendencies to update don't overcome your keep it simple frame of mind.
Dan Downs
KCRP
karl2809

Re: do i need to upgrade my computer components?

Post by karl2809 »

Thanks for your response.
I only used frame rates as a measure because it’s hard for someone else to see how smooth my P3D runs without actually being at my computer, I think what I might have to do is just download the addons 1 by 1 until the game begins to stutter and then decide from there my next steps as to upgrades.

I know 99% of people are intel gamers but I have an open mind, any thoughts on the AMD processors and the P3D addon compatibilities or is this pretty much untested waters?

I will need to upgrade my mono and memory too so I’d like to explore all my options.