[RESOLVED] HOTAS Cougar - Target Profile - interpreting shifted keys

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
alogie

[RESOLVED] HOTAS Cougar - Target Profile - interpreting shifted keys

Post by alogie »

I have a 4 way hat switch on my Cougar programmed by Target to send SHIFT+<number> to display and remove instrument panels. I'm using the paddle switch as a toggle so I can access a total of 8 views, e.g. H3U sends Shift+1, H3R sends Shift+2.... paddle+H3U sends Shift+5 etc.

When I use the hat switch, the panels do appear and disappear as expected, but P3D also registers it as an unshifted number and so selects an ATC option e.g. requesting change to cruising altitude.

If I use the keyboard I don't see this behavior. Shift+<number> displays the panel. <number> selects the ATC option.

I realize I could map the buttons directly within P3D, but that would only allow me to select 4 panels with a single hat switch.

According to the Target event analyzer, when I use the hat switch, it generates:
Press Shift
Press <number>
Release <number>
Release <shift>

which shouldn't trigger the ATC option.
Has anyone encountered anything similar?
alogie

Re: HOTAS Cougar - Target Profile - interpreting shifted keys

Post by alogie »

I found the solution here:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... ost4422248

In my case I had to define CHAINs for each of the SHIFT+<number> combos like this:
Int panel1 = CHAIN(LOCK+DOWN+L_SHIFT, D(50), DOWN+’1’, D(50), UP+’1’, D(50), UP+L_SHIFT, D(50), LOCK)

I could then add the variable containing the CHAIN into the key assignment.
Having to tweak the script is something I’d rather not have to do, but for now, I think I’m good.