P3D v.3.4 Is Out of Memory? Huh?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Plainsman

P3D v.3.4 Is Out of Memory? Huh?

Post by Plainsman »

Why did this happen? What do I do about it? It has never happened before. I had just taken off from LAX and veered toward "downtown" LA when it happened. I was kicked out of the sim.

My system:
i7 5820 six core
16 MB DDR4 2800MHz
2x SLI Dual Nvidia GeForce GRTX 980s 4GB
Storage: 1TB SSD (with 245 GBs free/unused

Any advice will be appreciated. I am not a techie.
Plainsman

Re: P3D v.3.4 Is Out of Memory? Huh?

Post by Plainsman »

Please advise... is "out of memory" SDD space, RAM, or video RAM? Yes, I have ORBX scenaries, Global LC, Global Vector, etc., but this has never happened before.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

It is virtual address space. If the sim goes to allocate memory and it fails... you get the error. The more you shove into the sim, the more memory it will need. Purchasing additional memory for your motherboard won't change a thing as it's not about that. Each 32-bit application can access a maximum of 4gb of virual memory. No more than that. Once it's all used up, you get the error. I suspect you have all of your sliders to the right with massive amounts of very detailed scenery.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
downscc

Post by downscc »

This is one of the reasons 64b is a big deal. P3Dv4 has a virtual address space almost 200,000 Tb instead of just 4 Gb. We are safe from OOM errors for at least a little while.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Plainsman

Post by Plainsman »

My thanks for your replies. I managed to stop the out of memory crashes by changing some of the sliders. I guess I have to move up to Version 4? But I'm concerned that some of my ORBX add-ons won't work with V4. Do you agree? And does V4 look any better than V3.4? Faster frame rates at the same settings? What's the advantage other than elimination of out of memory crashes even with sliders all the way to the right?
nealmac

Post by nealmac »

Plainsman wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:02 am My thanks for your replies. I managed to stop the out of memory crashes by changing some of the sliders. I guess I have to move up to Version 4? But I'm concerned that some of my ORBX add-ons won't work with V4. Do you agree? And does V4 look any better than V3.4? Faster frame rates at the same settings? What's the advantage other than elimination of out of memory crashes even with sliders all the way to the right?
As far as I'm aware, all Orbx scenery is now v4 compatible. I have a lot of Orbx stuff and it's all working in v4.
Best Regards,

Neal McCullough.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Just keep the Orbx FTX Central up to date, which it will do for you, and all Orbx products work with P3D latest versions. It will update such things as their objectflow runtime module for you.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Plainsman

Post by Plainsman »

Thanks again for the replies. But does version 4 LOOK better? What are the advantages other than memory?
downscc

Post by downscc »

Plainsman wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:33 pm Thanks again for the replies. But does version 4 LOOK better? What are the advantages other than memory?
LM provides a very comprehensive list of changes for each release.... I'm not going to quote that here. The chief advantage of increase memory space is obviously more complex scenery. That sure looks better. Also with each minor update LM has included tweaks and improvements to code that allows it to run faster or more efficiently so it is a lot more going on that just updates for the sake of updates.
Dan Downs
KCRP