Bad stuttering when aircraft battery is off

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Deltaaair123@1

Bad stuttering when aircraft battery is off

Post by Deltaaair123@1 »

I just recently changed my motherboard to a newer model. Afterwards I configured everything to where I had it before (talking about my bios settings). But in my sim something weird keeps happening. Whenever I select my usual aircraft (carenado S550), I can move my joysticks hat around and I get smooth frames. But whenever I select cold and dark option in the aircraft, or if I manually turn off the battery, my frames still remain high but my screen stutters. This has never happened to me before. I have vsync on so my frames should not go above 60 since that is my screens refresh rate but oddly enough it’s jumping above 60fps. Whenever I turn vsync off it doesn’t make a difference. Now when I turn my battery back on the stuttering on my screen slowly fades away and returns back to smooth again. It’s just about the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me with simming. I thought it was my graphics card because after installing new mobo I updated the graphics driver and got bad stuttering with high frames so I rolled back the driver but no luck. This is a real head scratcher but any help would be appreciated as always. Thanks.
Deltaaair123@1

Re: Bad stuttering when aircraft battery is off

Post by Deltaaair123@1 »

Another thing to note is that I have my target frames set to unlimited. So I guess it wouldn’t be unusual for the frames to want to jump above 60fps but this is the setting I was running before and never had this issue. If I set my target frame to 60fps, I get really bad stuttering when it dips below that number.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Any other aircraft do the exact same thing? I don't know why you suspect graphics card in this case, but first check if it is simply your addon aircraft in that specific configuration.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Deltaaair123@1

Post by Deltaaair123@1 »

Yes I have tested this with different aircraft at different airports as well. Crazy isn’t it? I even deleted the P3Dv4.1 cig file and reconfigured my sim but no luck. My hardware is Intel i7-6700k @4.0GHz, MSI GTX1060 Gaming X OC, Corsair Vengeance 32 Gigs of RAM, Corsair Maximus Ranger Z170 board, WD 2TB Black Hard Drive. Also in Windows 10 64 bit. As you can tell I shouldn’t have any stuttering at all.
Deltaaair123@1

Post by Deltaaair123@1 »

And I didn’t two months before. I Hadn’t used my sim for almost two months and when I come back from my hiatus I have this issue.
Deltaaair123@1

Post by Deltaaair123@1 »

So after doing some more testing I have narrowed it down to this fact: the higher my frames are, the more stutters I have. I have my vsync on and my monitor refresh is sitting at 60Hz.whenever my sim is hovering around 60fps my frames are smooth. But whenever they start to climb (like when the aircraft battery is off) I get stuttering. So I tried setting a target frame rate of 60fps but whenever I did I got major stutters if the frames dipped below 60fps. So I am kinda lost. This never has happened to me before I am quite confused as to what the problem is.
Deltaaair123@1

Post by Deltaaair123@1 »

So last update: I have uninstalled P3D completely and reinstalled (also upgrading to 4.2 in the process). I also uninstalled all of my scenery add-ons to narrow down the process. My sim bare bones with no third party scenery or aircraft is having the same stuttering issues. So I’m super puzzled now. This is crazy. Any dev that might know what’s up please respond!
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

You mentioned a hardware change that was recently made. Are all drivers up to date? You may also need to adjust various settings after changing hardware.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead