v4 and Workstation Graphics Cards

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
mdr

v4 and Workstation Graphics Cards

Post by mdr »

All the posts I have seen have been about gaming hardware graphics cards and processors. I have a workstation that is 4 years old, but its a beast and I'm hoping to upgrade the graphics card and run this simulator and some addons.

My Specs are:
Dual 8 core 3.1ghz E5 Xeon (16 cores total)
128 GB RAM
1TB of SSD (x4 256 SSDs in a RAID 0)
AMD FirePro W8000 (3.2 TFLOPS)
Windows 10 Pro

Graphics Card I'd look to upgrade to:
AMD RADEON PRO WX 9100 16GB (12.3 TFLOPS)

Statistically its very close to the highest end Titan, however they are built a bit differently when it comes to memory. Other item of mystery is clock speed. Mine won't run at 4ghz+ like a gaming processor, but most gaming processors aren't 16 cores either.

Anyone run the program on a similar workstation card now? Any insight on what I should expect?

Thanks
pandaaviation

Re: v4 and Workstation Graphics Cards

Post by pandaaviation »

Hello
WOW !It's like a beast..
I am currently running P3DV4.1 on WS machine.
It works comfortably and there is no problem.
Current My Specs are:
intel core i9-7980XE
64 GB RAM
Nvidia TITAN V (13TFLOPS OF FP32) …GPU1 main use for p3d
Nvidia TITAN Xp (12TFLOPS OF FP32)…GPU2 only cuda use
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Certainly your next GPU has a special function called HBCC in memory. It uses RAM for VRAM, but before that I had AMD VEGA64, but since there was not any problem on P3DV4, I think there is no problem with RADEON PRO.
As you already know, many cores are not necessarily advantageous in P3D.Even if it is a high clock.
Thanks
mdr

Post by mdr »

An update on this... so I pulled the trigger and got the Raedon Pro WX9100 and everything the same as I posted.

There was definitely a big improvement from my old card to my new one. I went from very low settings to mid/high settings, Took awhile to tune it as some things were causing chop. In the end there is definitely an exponential scale as you use higher settings up to the max settings. Good enough for now. Ultimately if I want a max out with addons I'll have to invest in a computer north of 5 figures. The number doesn't bother me, but I've had one before and they are very loud.

My final conclusions:
-there is still a big gap of capability between a Titan V (24 Tflops) vs the highest workstation cards (12.3 Tflops), can really tell when flying fast planes.
-AMD workstation cards can swap between professional and gaming drivers
-definitely need a very fast speed processor to run the highest settings. The software isn't built to supplement well with additional cores. Need to be pushing 5Ghz.
-Fast memory adds a boast vs my 2666mhz
-Massive difference between high-end M2 drives and SSD. Maybe larger than SSD vs 10k spinners.
-This simulator is massive. I ate through 400GB of space and I'm still missing many of the scenery add-ons I want.
-Lots of power consumption. My battery/surge protector won't shut up when the computer is working hard, even when its not connected to the unit, but is on the same wall.
mdr

Post by mdr »

Also one more thing I forgot to mention. I'm running P3D in 4k. Probably has a lot to do with not maxing things out. I've seen videos with all max settings, but I haven't seen one doing it in 4k yet.