[RESOLVED] Floating sensation on ground in VR...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
CVGridley

[RESOLVED] Floating sensation on ground in VR...

Post by CVGridley »

Hi all,
I recently acquired an Oculus Rift, and am eager to get it going in P3Dv4.1. It seems to be working fine except when I'm taxiing, it appears as if the airport grass polygon is several feet below the runways and taxiways. In fact, taxiway signage, 3D grass, and runway lights appear to be floating as well, and the sensation is not pleasant. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? I haven't found anything on the internet, and I'm surprised if I'm the only one seeing this!

I do run a ton of addons (Orbx global/vector/landclass, many regions and addon airports, ActiveSky, PTA) and I've tried with and without FlyInside.

Any help appreciated!

Best,
Scott Gridley
RCFlyer

Re: Floating sensation on ground in VR...

Post by RCFlyer »

I have this issue as well. So do several of my sim friends.

Danny
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

I also posted at AVSIM and had a response from a user that this is a known issue with terrain tessellation and cannot be fixed at this time...that would be a real bummer! I'm waiting for an official response from LM though.
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

Hi, just a try....(maybe it's not related to....)
When I get trouble with ground textures, water or clouds being un-synchronized - look twice or misplaced (hard to find right words) I just delete the "Shaders " folder (c:\users\myname\appdata\local\lockheed martin\prepar3d v4\) and then it's ok for me in VR.
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

toutenglisse73 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:15 pm Hi, just a try....(maybe it's not related to....)
When I get trouble with ground textures, water or clouds being un-synchronized - look twice or misplaced (hard to find right words) I just delete the "Shaders " folder (c:\users\myname\appdata\local\lockheed martin\prepar3d v4\) and then it's ok for me in VR.
Thanks ToutenGlisse, I've tried clearing the cache and also disabling most of my addons, but the problem persists in an almost stock P3d...
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Can you try going through our general debugging steps to see if these help isolate the issue?
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

Also be sure the mesh you use is compatible with scenery/autogen you use.
if (I don't really know) orbx sceneries are meant to be used with a certain mesh, using another one will result in scenery's objects/autogen being misplaced - wrong altitude. So they may be placed above or below the ground.
You also can adjust mesh resolution or tesselation factor (set them to max) maybe ?
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 pm Can you try going through our general debugging steps to see if these help isolate the issue?
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Hi Rob,
I have gone through the debugging thread, and even with no addons, I still have the sensation that the grass is sunken in VR. After deleting the LM\Prepar3d v4 folders in %programdata%, %localappdata%, and %appdata% the default flight is Eglin AFB. That particular airport looks pretty good due to the phototexture. However, at any other stock airport, I have the sunken grass. I'm using an Oculus Rift and have the sensation with both native VR and FlyInside.

Let me know if there's anything else I can try.

Best,
sg
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

What specific stock airport are you seeing this issue in? Also can you post your graphics settings as well as a screenshot of the issue?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:53 pm What specific stock airport are you seeing this issue in? Also can you post your graphics settings as well as a screenshot of the issue?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
I see this at many stock airports, 3B3, 6B6, KORH, KLEB, others. I would guess it's nearly all. Since it's a VR issue, I'm not sure how to post a screenshot. I'll post my graphics settings later this evening. Thanks for your help!
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

Here's my graphics settings:
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

Any updates on this? If not, I'm happy to deal with it for now...
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

I just did a flight in P3dV4.1 VR, not using Flyinside, around Campbell River, BC, and did not have the floating issue. I then flew the same route using Flyinside and did have the floating issue. For me at least, this visual issue is associated with using Flyinside.

Danny
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

This appears to be resolved in v4.2!
jef32

Post by jef32 »

+1 It's resolved in 4.2
CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 16 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W7-64 Sp1, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1