Some advice required please

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Rodney

Some advice required please

Post by Rodney »

For some time now I have been running P3DV4.1 with many orbx addons with great framerate results ,
the computer is made up of
Intel 4790k @ 4.4 ghz 32 gig ram , 780TI video card , SSD hard drives and latest windows 10 , I have just upgraded to a 1080TI , re formatted the computer and reinstall P3D and all the orbx , I set all the options sliders at the same as when I had 780 card.
The performance hasn't changed , P3D hasn't gained anything even with the faster card.
Just wondering could it be that my 4790K CPU is unable to keep up with the much faster 1080TI?
Rodney

Re: Some advice required please

Post by Rodney »

Just to add to my last post it seems that its not so much P3D stand alone as that has gained as a stand alone install,
Which may makes me wonder a little if the ORBX software is taking advantage of newer hardware.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

If you think it has not changed anything is because you did not change anything (settings wise) , this upgrade has made the SIM react better to heavier loads , test it by upping some of the settings and see..as you said the limitation is now on the CPU..also ORBX is a passive group of files , used by P3D that is run by your system.

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Yeah , the point that I was trying make out was , Identical settings in P3D with both video cards & both identical flight scenarios returned exact same frame rates and yet I would have expected a higher framerate return from the 1080TI over the 780TI which kind of makes me think P3D is more CPU reliant than GPU.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

You are correct , the GPU cannot do anything if the CPU does not send it work!!!..which applies to most video intensive programs, add to this the high computation required for the flight engine..it is a matter of balance and is very hard to judge...

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
Shylock_35

Post by Shylock_35 »

Running the same CPU but overclocked to 4.6 with 32 GN of RAM and a single 1080TI FTW and still I’m freezing up. I found my GPU is only being used up to 35-40% max during P3Dv4 with my CPU running on cores 3-7 thanks to Process Lasso. VC I’m seeing about 15-21 FPS in the PMDG 737 at KSFO as this is my test bed. I noticed that when on approach the sound would go in and out so since I have upgraded to 7.1 Dolby sound card by ASUS and have seen a gain up to 5 more FPS. So now I bounce from 20-25. Which sliders are CPU dependent and which are GPU? I thought this sim was going to be GPU heavy. Ive been going crazy since April trying to get it to run smooth but I’ve hit a wall going crazy on trying to find the right combination of graphics settings in sim. I was contemplating going SLI with a second 1080ti FTW since the price has been dropping.

Orbx NC SC FTX Global, Vector, open lc North America
Flightbeam KSFO
PMDG 737/777