affinity mask calculator

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
boussieres

affinity mask calculator

Post by boussieres »

To calculate the affinity mask, I used the link http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitym ... m=hardware.

By selecting expert mode, hyper threading enabled, I tested all combinations, logical / thread.
Totally irrational, I agree because most combinations do not match the processor of my machine.
example test:
o logical / o thread, 0 logical / 1 thread, etc ... up to 7 logical / 7 thread.

Each resulting value was put into the config. cfg, then test.

Result: the value 33024 corresponds to the combination of 4 logical / 7 thread, gives me a completely fluid p3d, cursuers on the right.

Do you have an explanation? My config: Process i7-7700K 4.2 GHZ --- Graphics card TITAN XP Pascal 12 GB --- Motherboard MSI Z 270 ---

Thanks for your answer
boussieres

Re: affinity mask calculator

Post by boussieres »

I forgot to mention that this value of the affinity mask performs well under win 10. Under win 7, this value has a negative effect on performance
lodanap

Post by lodanap »

I've been using LASSO V3 and have quite a bit of success with it being able to distribute the threads across multiple cores. I have a Ryzen 1700 and generally get it to start on the thread from the first core for some smooth framerates in VR.
RMM Guam

Post by RMM Guam »

Users would be well served to read up on Steve Waites detailed posts regarding Affinity Mask on the AVSIM forum.

Steve explains inner workings in detail and is happy to guide users on AM settings. Steve is not so favourable about the calculator you reference and explains why.

See this thread..
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5129 ... hy/?page=2
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

Hi, I don't question efficiency of Afinity Masks for a given use, but with VR (oculus rift) and P3Dv4 there is nothing like hyper-threading off and no Afinity Mask. (I7-7700K / 32GB / ssd M.2 / gtx1080Ti)
I've just tried a test flight twice in the exact same conditions :
With HT on and afinity mask 245 I get constant fps drops from 90, oculus' ASW kicking on and off giving bad smoothness, stutters etc...
With HT off and no afinity mask I get constant 90 fps.
I guess that in VR the main rendering thread needs the most possible room, so a full core without hyperthreading.
(quick settings description : scenery complexity normal, no autogen, 4K rendering in rift with oculus debug tool SS set to 1.75, cold front weather, photoreal Alps scenery with Lod11 mesh)
With light CPU impacting aircrafts it's possible to use higher scenery complexity and autogen (more again if autogen default.xml encoding is set to utf-8 instead of utf-16) but with usual heavy CPU impacting aircrafts I use it's not possible if 90 fps flat is aimed.
RMM Guam

Post by RMM Guam »

I am using a 4k 60" Samsung LED TV with Track IR.

Your statement -- " 4K rendering in rift with oculus debug tool SS set to 1.75" got my attention.

Don't wish to high-jack the OP's thread here.

Do you post your experience with Oculus Rift on AVSIM or another forum? If so please send me a PM to the links.

Thanks
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

RMM Guam I only post here about Prepar3d.
For information 4k rendering in oculus rift is achieved by supersampling, of course rift's resolution is still 2160*1200 but the picture is rendered in 4k and than downscaled to rift's resolution. It increases sharpness in addition to anti-aliasing (I use 4X msaa).
RMM Guam

Post by RMM Guam »

Thanks will possibly contact you by PM in the future.
RMM