Configuring P3Dv3 to only use one GPU

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
m88zk

Configuring P3Dv3 to only use one GPU

Post by m88zk »

Hi,

I'm using P3Dv3 on a Sandy Bridge CPU with both an NVidia 2GB GTX 660 and 6 GB GTX 1060 installed using 388.59 drivers.

The reason I have the older GPU installed is to run a total of five monitors (although P3D will only be using one monitor). Apparently the 1060 can run up to four so I added the 660 back in to run the fifth monitor for 2D desktop apps. The GPUs are not in SLI.

Curiously, even when I start P3D on a monitor directly connected to the 1060, I still see significant utilisation of the old 660 GPU in MSI Afterburner. The 1060 can easily handle the P3D workload by itself, so I would like to configure P3D to not use the 660 and only use the 1060.

Most of the forum topics I have found so far are about configuring P3D to use 2 GPUs in SLI, or P3D incorrectly choosing on-board graphics instead of a discrete GPU, but I have not found any information on how to configure P3D to explicitly exclude an older, less efficient GPU that just happens to also be installed in the PC for an unrelated reason.

By comparison, X-Plane 10/11 (which has no dual GPU support) will leave the old 660 totally idling and only load the 1060. I would like to achieve the same outcome with P3D if that is possible.

Thanks.
Martin.