Dual Graphics Card

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
mattria

Dual Graphics Card

Post by mattria »

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to computer hardware. Will there be a noticeable difference in performance in P3D when having a dual Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X, in comparison to having just a single 1080?

Thanks
jmig

Re: Dual Graphics Card

Post by jmig »

I would think that depends on what video you are trying to push through the system. Are you running a single monitor/projector or multiple? HD graphics or 4K?

Unless you are running multiple 4k monitors or projectors, based on what I have read on various sites, a single GPU will be enough. I run two GTX 970s with a single HD projector and two touch screen monitors, as well as a 1024 5" monitor on a FMC. I run the projector and the 27" touch screen monitor on separate GPUs. This set up works just fine for me.
Patrijs

Post by Patrijs »

Do you have any experience with running a SLI between the cards or do you operate with two different cards? I am looking for a second card but not sure what is best.
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

Hi Patrijs,
If you want to run 2 cards it has to be a sli setup (2 same gpus). If you put a second different card (no sli bridge) they won't be able to run the same process. The only plus (but minimal impact) in running non sli setup is to set the second card to run nvidia Physx (if the programm uses it) to gain some fps, or to use first card to run for exemple Oculus Rift and the second to render the on-screen view (but only work for rift titles and some others and it only gain 2 or 3 % on the first card usage).
So go for sli or nothing in my opinion.
unc1rlm

Post by unc1rlm »

I have a amd rx580 card..i have a gtx 970. I know I can't run sli but can the 970 be used for nvidia Physx (whatever that is lol) and would it help in gains of fps or loading scenery?

Just curious...Worse case I guess is another rx580 in crossfire (term for amd), I guess.

Thank you,
Bob M.
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

unc1rlm, using your 970 for physx can help fps, but only in titles using physx (and it can be only a tiny % gain). With P3D there is no use of nvidia Physx.
Here, for exemple, you have the nvidia list of games using Physx :

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx/games
unc1rlm

Post by unc1rlm »

Thank you toutenglisse73

Best Regards,
Bob M.