cannot assign keys and axes with Saitek Controllers

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
glc100o

cannot assign keys and axes with Saitek Controllers

Post by glc100o »

I have been using Saitek Yoke, rudder pedals and two throttle quadrants, which have worked just fine in FSX. Using Windows 10 with extensive custom key and axis assignents for flying with PMDG 737. The rudder controller and throttle quadrant plug into the USB slots on the Flight yoke and then the Yoke in turn plugs into the computer USB slot allowing all three controllers to be plugged in with one USB interface.

All three controllers show up independently with their proper names in the Windows 10 Device manager without any warnings that they are not installed correctly. The controllers were installed with Saitek Windows 10 drivers.

I am new to P3D. Installed v4.

In P3 D all of the 3 controllers show up just fine. I am able to control planes with the controllers in P3Dv4. However when I tried to remap the key assignments and axes exactly like my FSX setup it appears that whether I use Raw or Direct input method, all the assignment go into one "bin" independent of the particular controller I select. This despite being careful to select an individual controller from the dropdown list and enter the assignments with that controller being selected. This leads to conflicts, as button numbers are not unique with the three controllers.

That is to say that the pages that contain the axis and key assignments are the same and contain the same information no matter which controller I choose from the dropdown. With FSX, each controller in the dropdown independently had its own pages for assignments.

So for example, the Proflight Yoke button 3 gets assigned to to the elevator trim. OK. Then I select Throttle quadrant controller from the dropdown, button assignments and try to assign button 3 of the throttle quadrant to TOGA, and it says that the button 3 is already assigned to elevator trim. I went back and checked FSX and the button numbers overlap without any problem, because they are independently assigned within each controller, ie button 3 for Yoke is different and segregated from button 3 for throttle quadrant.

This seems to be almost surely a bug in the P3Dv4 program?

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated, as if I cannot resolve this I will not be able to use this flight simulator.

I prefer not to have to purchase a third party program to resolve this.

Thanks,
Greg
glc100o

Re: cannot assign keys and axes with Saitek Controllers

Post by glc100o »

Hi Tech support,
This appears to be a P3D bug. Please see details and verification under "Prepar3D Client Application Questions" forum, post "Question about exporting control settings"

Thanks,

Greg
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will do some testing here and report back.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
glc100o

Post by glc100o »

Hi Rob,

I really appreciate that Lockheed Martin participates directly in these forums.
Would you have any idea how long a desktop delivered solution for this problem might take?
Could it be weeks?

Thanks,

Greg
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi Greg,

Are you able to plug in each device separately rather than connecting devices to the yoke? Also, could you try a couple different combinations? For example, just yoke and throttle or just yoke and rudder pedals?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
glc100o

Post by glc100o »

Hello,
I was able to plug in the yoke and the conflicting throttle quadrant into separate USB ports, as opposed to having the standard arrangement of having the yoke serve as a USB hub for the yoke, two throttles and rudder pedals, and thence connecting directly to the computer with one USB cable. The problem persisted unchanged when I tried to assign the two different functions to keys , one on the yoke, the other on the throttle quadrant, with the same predetermined hardware assigned button number exactly as before, telling me that the key was already assigned, even though the two controllers were accessing different USB ports. All the controllers were recognized and listed as before with the new setup of their being plugged into separate USB ports. Both ports by the way were directly on the computer.

It still looks to me that unlike FSX, P3D is not mapping the assignments for each controller to a separate page unique to that controller, hence the conflicts. With FSX and same controller setup, when I choose each controller the corresponding assignments page is unique to that controller. Since another user in the forum duplicated the problem on his setup it does not appear to be a specific computer setup issue.

I am not using FSUIPC at all, and have no wish to use it to map keys like many other simmers do.

Thanks,

Greg
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi Greg,

With all devices connected, and after attempting to assign all buttons, would you be able to upload your controls file to DropBox? The controls XML files can be located here:

%%%APPROAMING%%%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Controls

There should be two files, Standard.xml and Standard.xmlx.

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
glc100o

Post by glc100o »

Hello,
Here is the link to the files requested:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dh48meiyoyhe ... 0WZ4a?dl=0

I also included for reference documentation of the axis and button assignments I am attempting from FSX, so you could see how that works within the program. After assignments were made, I also exported the settings for possible interest to several files. One was labelled all controller settings, and then I tried to export a file by choosing selectively each one of the controllers from the drop down to see if there was any difference between individual assignments noted in the exported files or whether they were in essence all the same file contents.

Because of overlap in button numbers I was unable to assign any buttons to the second stand alone Throttle Quadrant. I did first assign axes and buttons for the rudder pedals, and then axes and buttons for the Proflight Yoke, which also includes assignments for one of the two throttle quadrants the way it is manufactured.

Thanks,

Greg
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi Greg,

Could you provide the exact version number of Prepar3D? This information can be found in the About screen.

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
glc100o

Post by glc100o »

Hi,
The version number is 4.0.28.21686.

Greg
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

In your first post:
"I have been using Saitek Yoke, rudder pedals and two throttle quadrants, which have worked just fine in FSX."

Later in your first post you mentioned :
"So for example, the Proflight Yoke button 3 gets assigned to to the elevator trim. OK."

Do you have Saitek and Proflight products / setup software?

BTW, as I mentioned in the other related post (no LM follow up on it):
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=126647

After testing I have verified the remapping key assignments problem as you mentioned is the same on my P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 (Win7-64) installs.

Note:
Are you using a Saitek Power adapter on your Saitek Yoke in order to use the additional USB ports on that yoke?
I have the Saitek power adapter but never used it or the additional ports.

* Maybe a fix for the P3D4.1 ?
Best Regards,
glc100o

Post by glc100o »

There was an old post in this forum referencing Version 2 that the export controls function seemed to merge everything together, which may be a reference to the issue we have brought up here dating all the way back to that version in fact.

I do not have enough free USB ports on my computer to allow independent connection of each controller to a free USB port. So I am using the power adaptor and using the yoke with its 3 USB slots and one power connector as a hub, and in turn I use the hard wired output connector from the yoke into a single USB port directly on the computer.

I installed only the drivers for the Saitek controllers which I downloaded from their old site when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro last year. I never have used any setup or programming software from Saitek. I have always just used the simulator to assign keys, axes, etc.

Yes I am hoping this can be fixed for 4.1. I am excited to try out the sim with my previous addons. Have not purchased P3D versions yet pending resolution of this problem. Presently without a fix I cannot really use the sim.

Greg
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"I do not have enough free USB ports on my computer to allow independent connection of each controller to a free USB port."

I purchase ($10 US) a 4 port USB 2.0 Header (uses one computer card slot) with ribbon cable that plugs into my motherboard. Check your motherboard manual for adding one.

I also use a 7 port USB Powered HUB.

I plug Saitek into the computer's USB and after testing I have verified the remapping key assignments problem as you mentioned is the same on my P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 (Win7-64) installs.
Best Regards,
glc100o

Post by glc100o »

I have tried out version 4.1 and this problem is not fixed, but the issue was not listed in the release notes, so I am not surprised.

Greg