P3Dv4 Chicken or the Egg??

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
arecee

P3Dv4 Chicken or the Egg??

Post by arecee »

My system is getting dated. It runs P3Dv4 smoothly, but I haven't attempted to use some of the more "demanding" features.
My question is upgrading, what components would benefit the most? GPU, SSD?? Or specifically, which to buy 1st.

System is i5-4690K (3.5), 16 gig Ram, GTX 660 2gig, Windows 7 64 bit, 1T WD (Black label) HDD. 220g partition for OS, balance for "games". Single 24" monitor. Second partition only has P3Dv4 (+UT-USA and Orbx FTX Global Base), P3Dv2.5 and some Orbx addons on v2.5. Total usage on second partition is about 100 gigs.
WarpD

Re: P3Dv4 Chicken or the Egg??

Post by WarpD »

That video card is a seriously impediment to using v4 fully.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
arecee

Post by arecee »

Thanks for the reply Ed.

You feel replacing the old video card would be the 1st step. I had a feeling that would be my best option, but with so much talk about SSD, and no experience with them, I had to ask. So video card 1st, maybe a SSD later :)
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

The only thing the SSD provides is faster access to texture files. It will improve initial loading times, but that's mostly it. That video card will not perform even remotely worthwhile. It is simply too far outdated with too little VRAM.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
arecee

Post by arecee »

Ed, once again thanks for the straight answers. Appreciate it.