[RESOLVED] Throttles will not calibrate

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Racekarts2

[RESOLVED] Throttles will not calibrate

Post by Racekarts2 »

I have P3d V3.4, I have been flying with P3d now for about 3 years. I am using the Saitek Pro-Yoke, (2) quadrants and rudder pedals. Up until yesterday I have had no problems with calibrating them or setting their sensitivity.

The problem now is any movement forward on the throttles and they jump to 100% and retarding them back to the detent brings them into reverse, Then the right (#2) throttle sticks in reverse thrust. Its 100% or nothing.

I've tried to re calibrate them, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the throttles, and drivers. No luck.

I can run FSX and they work perfectly. I plugged my old X52pro throttle in and assigned it in P3d and it calibrates and works perfectly.

Everything else that i have assigned on the throttle quadrants, flaps, spoilers, prop axis all continue to work fine.

I'm frustrated to say the least.

I could use any help and or suggestions to get this sorted out.

Thank you.
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: Throttles will not calibrate

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

Have you tried calibrating your device from within Prepar3D via Settings > Controls > Calibration Tab > Calibrate Device or was this done from Windows Control Panel?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
Racekarts2

Post by Racekarts2 »

Hello Clifton,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes I did.

Let me describe in better detail the problem and all the steps I have gone through prior to this post to try isolate what the real issue is.

To answer your question, I have tried (and tried) to calibrate the throttles via the calibration tab via the Prepar3d control panel. I have also tried calibrating it via the Windows control panel, and I save the calibration. No change.

Here is a recap of what has happened, starting last Friday 4/21.

I have been running P3d for several years now with the Saitek Pro Yoke and throttle quadrants (qty. 2) with no issues what so ever. I have followed all recommended installation practices. They have worked with all my aircraft. I was attempting a flight with the PMDG 737NGX when the problem with the throttles occurred. As I advanced the Saitek throttles to taxi, they jumped to 100% although I had only advanced them to what would be approximately 30% thrust. In retarding the throttles nothing happened. I advanced them to 100% and then back to 0%, what should have been idle, and the right engine went into reverse thrust, the left to idle. Advancing the Saitek throttles forward, the left engine jumps to 100%, the right one stays in reverse thrust. I hit F1 and the throttles and engine return to idle (no reverse). I then opened the calibration tab in P3d and re-calibrated the throttles. No change. I restarted my computer, and P3d and still no change. I did this probably 10 times, with no change. I checked other aircraft in P3d and it was the same thing.

I tried reassigning the the throttles to second throttle quadrant which I used for prop pitch and flaps (it also has never had any issues) and I assigned my original quadrant levers to for prop pitch. The change in Saitek quadrants resulted in the same results as I was having with the quadrant originally assigned. I loaded another aircraft to see what would happen when I tried to adjust the prop pitch, and they worked normally. I then switched back to my original assignments. I closed P3d and loaded FSX, same airplane PMDG 737NGX, same airport (FSDT KLAS) and my Saitek throttle quadrant works perfectly.

I uninstalled all my Saitek products including drivers and reinstalled them. Reloaded P3d and the same problem. I did find that using the F3 and F4 keys, I could move the throttles incrementally. Also if I moved them up off the "idle" position then I could advance and retard them with my Saitek quadrant normally except if I brought them down to "idle" they'd both go into reverse and would remain there, not moving back to idle. I could only bring them back to idle by hitting F1 or F2. Any advancing of the throttles from that position, would result in the left engine advancing to 100%, the right engine remained at idle. By then advancing the throttles from the idle position (to minimum thrust) the Saitek throttle quadrant could then advance and retard them normally except when trying to return them to idle.

I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC4 ver 4.96. I wanted to test and takecontrol of the my throttles for my PMDG 737NGX but I've read that they way they are configured, its best to let P3d control them directly. I did test the assignment of them with my Majestic Q400 and they worked normally. Give control back to P3d and they act up again. Trying my test by slightly advancing the throttles with the F3 key gave me the same results with partial control of the throttles, until returning them back to an idle position.

I'm guessing that there is something in the controls configuration that has gotten corrupted and causing this problem. (I am by no means computer literate, just know enough to be dangerous) So that is where I am currently at. I am trying to avoid having to uninstall P3d and all the peripherals If possible. (avoid 4 days of self inflicted pain)

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions that I have not addressed or answered.

Thanks!
MHargrove

Post by MHargrove »

To this day I remain utterly baffled why anybody would NOT be using FSUIPC for control management. Neither FSX nor P3D have never worked that well with modern controllers (from a calibration perspective). The first thing I do with a fresh install is to delete all axis and button assignments from the P3D 'control' settings and then set up all of the controls via a registered version of FSUIPC.

I'm not sure where you heard that FSUIPC doesn't handle the PMDG 737NGX correctly -- it does. With Saitek throttle quadrants be sure you're specifying to send the axis directly to FSUIPC (on the initial axis configuration window), and you have to be sure to check 'no reverse zone' when you calibrate each separate throttle axis -- this prevents inadvertently deploying the reversers when the thrust levers are moved to the idle position, but other than that calibration is a snap.

(I should note: you don't HAVE to remove the 'reverse zone', but the Saitek throttles don't have a good detent to prevent moving into the reverse range, so most simmers I talk with check 'no reverse' and then use the button press/release that's available when you pull the throttle lever down to the bottom of the range under the detent that's just below 'idle'. The trick there is to specify a button press action of 'throttle decrement/repeat while held' and a button release action of 'throttle cut').
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
Racekarts2

Post by Racekarts2 »

Mark,

I've actually been biting the bullet so to speak and spending some time learning to use FSUIPC and setting up the PMDG with it. To be honest, I was a little intimidated by it but have slowly been plugging away at it. I've been looking through posts on the forums trying to read what does and doesn't work.

I have solved my problem by determining a corrupted configuration. I made the repairs via deletions and rebuilds and they are working well. That being said, this was after getting about 50% of the 737 mapped out with a specific profile with FSUIPC.

I do appreciate you weighing in. Thank you.