Will my laptop run P3D?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application

Will my laptop run P3D?

Post by 121028 »

Hi!

I just have a single question: Will my laptop run Prepar3D smoothly and still look realistic with the following specs?

Intel core i7, @ 2.50 GHz
Geforce GTX 850M
RAM: 8.00 gb
Hard drive: 1000 GB

Maybe a bit rude to ask on the Prepar3D forum haha, but would you guys recommend X-Plane 10/11 or P3D? I already own X-Plane 10 with a lot of planes, scenery and addons, but it doesnt work that smooth because my laptop is slowly becoming a bit old for next generation games. If Prepar3D works more smooth, and still looks realistic I wouldnt mind moving over to a complete new simulator. Would you recommend me to move or stay with X-Plane 10 or 11 if its finally released?

Thanks a lot!!

Stefan
nealmac

Re: Will my laptop run P3D?

Post by nealmac »

I don't know enough about X Plane so I can't comment on that.

As for your laptop, I think it will struggle to run P3D particularly if you use any complex addon aircraft of scenery. A 2.5GHz processor isn't very fast by today's standards. In practice, it might run a vanilla P3D at low settings, but as it heats up, in order to cool down, it will stop working at full power. This will cause a very noticeable drop in framerate.

I'm speaking from experience here. The reason for this, is that laptops don't have very good cooling systems. Most laptops have a little fan inside that is next to useless. You might as well be blowing cold air from your mouth. P3D will cause your CPU to run at full power so your fan will kick in to cool it down. However this won't be enough, so the CPU will throttle itself back to protect it from burning out.

This is why P3D or FSX on a laptop is a bad idea.
Best Regards,

Neal McCullough.
sopebird

Re: Will my laptop run P3D?

Post by sopebird »

I think laptops can handle P3D. But you'd better have a gaming laptop with top specs. I use an ALIENWARE 15 R3, with Core i7-6820HK OC@4Ghz(4 cores), GTX1070. I run P3D V3.4 at 4K resolution, I can fly PMDG 737/777 at stable 30 FPS in most add-on airports with REX 4 Clouds.