Very low frame rate with second P3D window open.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
CaptPat

Very low frame rate with second P3D window open.

Post by CaptPat »

Hi all,

NEW FLIGHT SIM COMPUTER

Asus Maximus viii Hero motherboard
Skylake i6700K 4000MHz CPU
16 Gb 3000MHz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (2 x 8 in slots 2 & 4 as recommended)
Noctua NH-U14S cooler
Gigabyte Geforce GTX770 4Gb GPU (from my previous rig)
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Samsung Evo 840 1Tb SSD for operating system and P3D etc.
2Tb HDD backup
Four monitors
P3D v 3.1
FSUIPC 4. 4.4949
SPAD 5 - (SPAD Extra won’t boot.)
Real Air SF260 (FSX version but no problems in P3D)

I have just built a new computer for use only with P3D. My previous rig used an Intel i5-3570, 8Gb DDR3 ram on a Gigabyte Z77 DS3H motherboard, and GTX 770 GPU and running Windows 10/64. This ran P3D v2.4 and of late P3D v3. My frame rates with the SF260 on four monitors with four open windows varied between 20 and 13 fps. (Default sliders and scenery and traffic sliders high, respectively). Hence the change of rig to get higher frame rates (hopefully).
Scenery comprises:
VFR Gen X photo scenery.
VFR Airfields
Treescapes.

THE NEW i-6700K RIG
On the new rig I get 59 fps with default sliders with only one window open.
With a second window open, but docked, the frame rate remains at 59. As soon as I undock that window, still on the same master screen, the frame rate drops to around 2 fps.
The BIOS has been left at default with ‘Active Processor Cores’ set at ALL.
With only one P3D window open (frame rate 59fps):
Total CPU usage = 18%,
CPU 0 = 100%
CPU 1 = 12%
CPU 2 = 18%
CPU 3 to 7 all less than 5%
GPU load = 48%

With second window open, but docked, all CPU readings are similar to those with only one window.
GPU load = 59%
With second window open and UNDOCKED, the CPU readings remain very much unchanged BUT the GPU load immediately drops to 0% and frame rate drops to around 2 or less.

Any suggestions as to why the GPU load drops to zero when the second P3D window is undocked will be gratefully received, thanks
umelec3

Re: Very low frame rate with second P3D window open.

Post by umelec3 »

Hi everybody

I have nearly the same setup:
Asus MaximusVIII Hero
32G RAM
GTX980ti
GTX950
Windows 10/64

And I have the same problem. As soon as I add e.g. the radio stack of the Piper Cup and undock the window for a second monitor, fps drops from 60 (with pfs locked to 60) to 2 - 3 fps.

Then I have a similar behaviour in my final application. For my B737 homecockpit I need 9 monitors, 3 for Visual, 5 for MIP displays. For this I have installed a GTX980ti (Visual) and a GTX950 (cockpit, 2 monitors via TripleHead2go). All monitors are recognized well by Windows 10 and can be arranged without problems by Nvidia Configurator.

At the first start of P3D_V3.1 and PMDG737 I can open all the needed panel windows, undock them and place them on different monitors. The visual is actually done by one 2D window on one monitor, resulting in 60 fps without problems. The scenario is then saved.

When I close P3D and start it again with default F22 shown and load then my scenario, fps is only at 2 to 3 fps. But when I restart the whole PC, then start P3D and PMDG as above, I get 60 fps again. These procedures can be repeated, always with the same result. Selecting different windows, change from full screen to windowed mode and vice versa have no influence.

For me it looks like P3D leaves some data in the RAM when it is closed. A new start makes P3D fight with this old data. When the PC is restarted, RAM is clean again and everything works fine for the first time. Sorry, this is perhaps stupid, but I am not an expert.

I removed then P3D completely and reinstalled it again. Same behaviour. Help would be most appreciated.

Kind regards
Urs
umelec3

Post by umelec3 »

Hi everybody

I am one step further. I found out, that the reason for the fps drop must be a program or service which is load towards the end of the Windows startup. When I wait some time after pc start and start then P3D, the fps problem is there. When I start P3D as soon as Windows appears on the screen, then the fps are ok. So I have to find now the program that makes the trouble.

Regards
Urs
umelec3

Post by umelec3 »

Hi all

In the meantime I found the culprit. In fact there is a program loaded during startup of Windows 10 (see taskmanager / autostart):
SS2UILauncher.exe
As soon as this program is closed resp. set inactive, the fps remain stable. Hope I could help. To LM: Please check this and let us know, if and how we can use the program all the same. Thank you very much.

Best regards
Urs
wmayott

Post by wmayott »

Hi .. I had this problem and pulled my hair out for weeks trying to figure it out .. Finally I came across a fix ..

Go into NVIDIA control panel under Program Settings and select Prepar3d .. change Power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" and apply the change ..

Actually, I ended up choosing "Prefer maximum performance" under Global Settings as well, because it seemed to help with other issues I was having (such as my Oculus Rift frequently losing the HDMI connection without reason) .. However, you can start with just applying it to Prepar3d and that may be all you need ..
kolaf

Post by kolaf »

umelec3 wrote:Hi all

In the meantime I found the culprit. In fact there is a program loaded during startup of Windows 10 (see taskmanager / autostart):
SS2UILauncher.exe
As soon as this program is closed resp. set inactive, the fps remain stable. Hope I could help. To LM: Please check this and let us know, if and how we can use the program all the same. Thank you very much.

Best regards
Urs
For what it is worth, I experienced the exact same thing with the exact same application on my setup. It is related to a useless application that comes with my on-board realtek sound card.